Virgin Island Natl Park video

Travel discussion for St. John
AquaGirl

Virgin Island Natl Park video

Post by AquaGirl »

We decided to watch a video we got some years ago called "The Establishment of Virgin Islands National Park" put out by "Friends of Virgin Islands National Park". Its narrated by Steve Simonsen and was very enjoyable (especially on a very cold night).

There are photos of the island from long ago and some history of various people involved in the creation of the park (Rockefeller being one of several key players in the process). We recognized several names from StJ - Sprauve, Boulon, Benjamin and others. We kept stopping the video and looking at the map to see where the various things were located. We are very thankful that many people had the vision and perseverance to preserve so much land on the island. Highly recommend this interesting video about one of our favorite places!
Caw954s

Re: Virgin Island Natl Park video

Post by Caw954s »

I love videos/documentaries like that too aquaGirl. Rockefeller also donated land for Acadia National Park in Maine and financed all of the beautiful carriage roads and bridges. Plus, the Rockefeller Gardens located within the park will take your breathe away! We are all so fortunate that Rockefeller was a forward thinker, a philanthropist, every time I'm in Acadia or STJ, I thank him.

Where can we find the video? Did you buy it online or on the island?
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

I don't remember how we got it since we've had it for so long :oops:
I looked online at the Friends of VINP website and they have it for sale for $20, so we must have bought it when we were there the first time in 2008. The money goes for a good cause anyway.
http://www.friendsvinp.org/books-maps-a ... dvd-detail

We spent a few days at Acadia some years ago and absolutely loved it. I didn't realize it was also a Rockefeller project. Its on our list to return because it was so beautiful and we hardly saw the park. The carriage roads are an interesting feature of that park.

I see you are in KC - its my hubby's very favorite place for BBQ. When he goes to KC on business, he eats BBQ at different places for lunch and dinner every day - LOL!
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

AquaGirl: Having stayed at Coconuts, might this wonderful video's inclusion in the Blu-ray and DVD library for the 100" front projector have inspired your purchase? For any forum members who haven't seen "The Establishment of the VINP", it is a highly recommended backstory to the creation of the Park, and you you needn't buy the video; just watch it the next time you are at Coconuts!

Living (most of the time) in NH, we have on a number of occasions visited Acadia National Park, and have chartered sailboats, spending a number of pleasant summer weeks off the coast of Maine, and around Bar Harbor. At one point, a friend suggested that we take the dingy ashore, where we toured a very beautiful garden. It probably was the Rockefeller garden, although I didn't realize it at the time.

All the best,

Kevin
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

Coconuts wrote: At one point, a friend suggested that we take the dingy ashore, where we toured a very beautiful garden. It probably was the Rockefeller garden, although I didn't realize it at the time.
Hi Kevin, FYI, there are three gardens to tour in and around Acadia: Asticou Azalea Garden (very Asian inspired), Thuya (my favorite), and then the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Garden, which you need a reservation for to get in to see it. Rockefeller financially supported all three. My husband and I are huge gardeners and we often travel just to look at certain gardens. In NH I climbed Mt Washington so I could see the Alpine gardens, there are some plants growing there that you will not find anywhere else in the world. NH is also such a beautiful state!
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Caw954s: Thanks; the one we visited did have distinct Asian influences, so that would have been Asticou Azalea Garden. All the more reason to return next summer and check out the other two as well!

All the best,

Kevin
lorijo068

Post by lorijo068 »

Kevin, Good to know - Next time we are at Coconuts we are going to watch this video. Can never know enough about my future retirement home... :)