How about Haulover North?

Travel discussion for St. John
Sumerwaters

How about Haulover North?

Post by Sumerwaters »

My 18th trip to STJ soon come. I have never been to Haulover. Can anyone give me their insights? Any other beaches that are fav's but secluded?
Splasher54

Re: How about Haulover North?

Post by Splasher54 »

We snorkeled Haulover North on one of our trips. It looked very interesting, but we didn't spend much time there. The wave action was pretty tough and we had a hard time avoiding the coral. On a calm day, I think it would be great
(Message Boards code, FertilityFriend.com's boards, phpBB based Image
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

If you can get there on a calm day, Haulover North is - in my opinion - the best snorkeling on St John. The entry and exit can be a little challenging, but it's very worth it.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

The beach is cobble-stoney, and once, when I went back to my car to get some camera gear, an oddly belligerent donkey harassed a friend of my daughters. I have only snorkeled out a bit and then along the shore to the left, but found some very nice coral heads. The trail to get there from the road is very short.

All the best,

Kevin
Chris @ Work

Post by Chris @ Work »

Agree, one of the best and healthiest on the island. Getting in/out is more work but well worth it to the left. Key will be wave action and swells this time of year. We have only tried during the late spring and summer months.
[/url]
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

The snorkeling here is really good, but you have to time it right. If you try it when it is really choppy/wavy, you are not going to have a good time. You will get tossed around and could get knocked into the coral if you are not careful.

The walk over is so short that it is worth it to just stroll over and take a couple of minutes to watch the water before getting in. Here is a photo of Haulover North on a good day for snorkeling:

Here is Haulover North on a bad day for snorkeling:

If Haulover North is too rough, you can snorkel at Haulover South instead. It is not as impressive as Haulover North, but it is almost always nice and calm. There is some coral on the left, and large fish and turtles out at/around the point.

You will need water shoes/sandals to get in and out at Haulover North. It is very rocky and slippery.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

Haulover North is also one of our favorites but as others have said you must pick your day with care.

Entry on the north-side is almost if not slightly to the right of where the trail comes out onto the beach. This is the safest spot to enter. It is a cobble beach so care should be taken when entering keeping an eye out for urchins between the rocks. Though we have never seen them in this narrow entry area it is still good practice to keep your eyes open.

Snorkel to the left and have patience. Just when the coral seems to peter out, it gets good again and good again. Remember you will have to return so gauge your energy for the return. I have always returned knowing that there was even more further on.
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

we LOVE Haulover north...on a good day. Does anyone know of any place else that has coral this nice, besides Waterlemon? Would love to find a few more great spots! We have seen Octopus in Haulover South!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

northerngal wrote:we LOVE Haulover north...on a good day. Does anyone know of any place else that has coral this nice, besides Waterlemon? Would love to find a few more great spots! We have seen Octopus in Haulover South!
I was very impressed with Pelican Rock. Hoping to get back there in a few weeks.

The reef around Turtle Point is also excellent, but I don't know how you could snorkel it unless you stayed at Caneel Bay. Even if you moored off Scott and swam over, the current around the point is really strong and I think it would be really hard to swim back to the mooring balls. When I do this snorkel while staying at Caneel I let the current take me to shore on Turtle Bay and then walk back to my stuff at Scott Beach.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.