Skinny Legs

Travel discussion for St. John
Anthony
Site Admin

Skinny Legs

Post by Anthony »

Had a great cheeseburger today - took a photo of Howie's Bell - waitress has no idea what it is, says people ring it from time to time but no one knows what it means!!! I tried to explain... not sure if it made any sense. Good to see it is still there though.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Lovermont

Re: Skinny Legs

Post by Lovermont »

How long is your visit, Anthony?
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Enjoy!
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Lovermont wrote:How long is your visit, Anthony?
Just here for 2 nights - we were on St. Thomas for Thanksgiving with family - leaving tomorrow! It was too short but we'll be back more often in the future I hope.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Make sure you write a trip report, Anthony!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote:Make sure you write a trip report, Anthony!
Oh man the pressure is on... :)
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Anthony wrote:
Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote:Make sure you write a trip report, Anthony!
Oh man the pressure is on... :)
and pictures
lprof

Post by lprof »

Happy you were there... waiting for the report! :D :D 8)
... no longer a stranger to paradise
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

There are probably many people here who have never heard the story. Why don't you post it?

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Anthony wrote:
Lovermont wrote:How long is your visit, Anthony?
Just here for 2 nights - we were on St. Thomas for Thanksgiving with family - leaving tomorrow! It was too short but we'll be back more often in the future I hope.
Ah... for a moment I thought my path would cross with the famous Anthony!
lprof

Post by lprof »

jimg20 wrote:There are probably many people here who have never heard the story. Why don't you post it?

JIM
Helping Anthony out a little here...

"This is post from Jan from back in 2006 I think it says it best.
-peace" Xislandgirl

Howie was such a positive force on this forum and was extra helpful to Mike & I when planning our 1st trip to STJ in May 04. He & his wife Cindy (Sunshine) liked Coral Bay and Skinny Legs was Howie's favorite hang out. Check back in the archives of 2003 and 2004, his posts are always upbeat and warm.

Howie & Cindy lived in Mass. and while in the Northeast Fall of 2004 we spent a day with them in Mystic Ct. We began our morning as newly met fellow forumites and parted that evening as good friends. Howie was as laid back and genuine as all of you have pictured him. They were planning a trip to Va in January 05 (Cindy ended up coming alone) to meet up with other forumites Derek & Barb in Richmond.

Three weeks after we met them Howie died on October 14th of a massive heart attack. He was a musician and Derek posted a link to a beautfiul song "When Angles Rock us to Sleep", something Howie had co-written. It gave all of us on the forum some peace about losing our buddie. Then a memorial came about and in Nov 04 fellow forumites decided on a plaque, and the rest is history. I know that Howie & Cindy met other forumites while on Island and up in New England I believe. He made a lot of friends on this forum, we were glad we got to meet him.

I am going to get CalifGirl to help me post a couple of pictures of Howie and see if I can't get Derek to post the link to the song. It is such a beautiful song, every time I listen to it I still cry.

So 2 years ago Mike & I were part of the celebration at Skinny's. We are looking forward to seeing Bill & Sandie there this December (and any other fellow forumites) and toasting our bud Howie.

As Howie always signed off.................peace

(from: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... =1&t=13385 )
... no longer a stranger to paradise
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

thanks Linda. The old AOL forum really was a quite active group.I was wondering what the story was about the Bell.Your mind starts to wander and wonder about things after you lost power for three days. It takes time to readjust being back on the grid
stingrat

Post by stingrat »

I am a skinney legs burger lover. stayed 1 week and ate there 3 times. We stayed at gallows point so it was in the plan that I would always be near there around lunch time. 8)
High in the rockies?
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Anthony I was so happy to read your post! Mike and I were at Skinny's in October of this year and rang the bell.......it's a bit rusted, but works :) Howie was one of the good guys from the original forum. Because of him and his love of the islands and peaceful nature we felt comfortable meeting new folks and sharing our love for St John. Whenever we go to Skinny's and see that bell it reminds me of how many friends we have made in the last 10 years. THANK YOU Anthony!! Your forum has created lifelong friends and ideas! Enjoy your stay, wish we could be there :)
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

I did not know the story. Thanks for posting...I will think of Howie when I see the bell.