Charter 4 Eight ?

Travel discussion for St. John
dctac

Charter 4 Eight ?

Post by dctac »

Does anyone know of a charter, preferably a powerboat, but possibly sail would be good and can do 8 persons? I want to do a snorkel day but most power charters are only 6 packs. We could get two boats but that would kinda suck being on separate boats. I can't do the bigger cattle boats that take 20 or so folks....i thought about renting a boat down in Cruz Bay but I really don't want to be the captain..... I want to relax,,,,, any feed back is welcome......
Xislandgirl

Re: Charter 4 Eight ?

Post by Xislandgirl »

Born to Rhumb!
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

I second Born to Rhumb. We have been out with them many times and it always the highlight of our trip. Cannot recommend them highly enough.
Paula

dctac

Post by dctac »

Thanks they are on the list......looks like a fun boat.....
kklay

Post by kklay »

Stormy Petrel and Pirate's Penny take more than 6.
CHM

Post by CHM »

Born to Rhumb! We use them every year!
Captain John

Post by Captain John »

Born to Rhumb.
Captain John

"I live the life I love and I love the life I live"
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

We rented through Ocean Runner in April and had an awesome day with Captain Holly! They have a boat that can accomodate 8 with a guide prices listed on their website.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I looked at the website you mentioned for Ocean Runner and did not find any USCG Inspected Vessels capable of legally carrying more than 6 passengers with a licensed Captain. They may have one not listed? But chartering an Uninspected Vessel with a 'guide' ?- realize that if you do this, you will be hiring a vessel as a 'demise charter'/ 'bareboat charter' and you must be 100% responsible for the vessel - and unexpectedly open to many legal and fiscal problems. The 'guide' cannot bear responsibility, is considered your employee and cannot operate the boat under their USCG MMD [if they have one].

It is far safer to charter a vessel that is Inspected and Licensed by the USCG to carry more than 6 passengers as everyone else recommended.

This is an unofficial notice from the USVI office of the Coast Guard concerning this type of charter and well worth reading if you are considering an Uninspected Vessel carrying 8 people with a 'guide'.

http://ftmyersdesign.com/illegalbareboat.pdf
dctac

Post by dctac »

good info Exit... born to rumb has in depth info on that subject on their website.....
I 'm lookin at sea more/a calypso boat and born to rhumb. Born to rhumb looks fun but not sure wife and kids need bottomless cooler!!!! Sea more looks kinda cool mini yacht........
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

dctac wrote: but not sure wife and kids need bottomless cooler!!!! Sea more looks kinda cool mini yacht........
Open bar (Sea More) or bottomless cooler (Born To Rhumb), choose your poison!

We chartered BTR a couple of years ago (2008?) and what we liked about it was the size, speed and stability. We did a 10 person trip on a different boat 2012 and it was great but that boat was sold.

Depending on budget, I would also investigate Kekoa if you are interested in sailing. I think they quoted us around $2,250 for a private charter.
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

kklay wrote:Stormy Petrel and Pirate's Penny take more than 6.
We have used them 5 times and they are the best! With that many people you may be able to rent the whole boat (that's we do) and make your own itinerary.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

On Ocean Runners website look for the 25' Mako (I think) it indicates that it can carry 8 and has the option to have a guide.
http://www.oceanrunnerusvi.com/index.cfm/pagename/rates
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

Barb Y wrote:On Ocean Runners website look for the 25' Mako (I think) it indicates that it can carry 8 and has the option to have a guide.
http://www.oceanrunnerusvi.com/index.cfm/pagename/rates
We rented the 25' Mako years ago and the gas bill was more than the rental cost. Not sure what gas prices are now compared to 12 years ago but something to consider.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

I believe our gas bill was about $140 We hit Indians, Pirates, Willy T, B-line, and SDB.