Trip Report April 26-May 6/video

Travel discussion for St. John
star2515

Trip Report April 26-May 6/video

Post by star2515 »

The video attached (password: stjohn2014) is a little something I put together from our trip....its a little long at 10 mins but I enjoyed using my new MacBook to make it and hope those of you who like picture reports best, like myself will like it. But if you want a quicker highlight report I tried to type one up as well.

http://vimeo.com/98295338

This was our 4th trip, as well as my in-laws 4th trip (Scotties). However it was my parents first trip so it was fun seeing everything new again through their eyes.

St John Jeep Rental: 3rd time using them, no problems. Rented 2 like new Jeeps for the week. No issues

We stayed at Island Sun for the first 5 days, its a wonderful villa. Its above Cinnamon and down from Catherineberg. If you don't like unpaved, curvy, hilly roads this may not be the villa for you, however the views are so good no one seemed to mind. Coming from Centerline it's really not bad, but from the North Shore road you have to have a strong stomach. That being said all 6 of us felt it was worth it and would stay there again. There is no AC which I know is an instant turn off for some, but it wasn't needed at all. The breeze up there is constant and the whole house opens up with screens, so its easy to keep it cool. The beginning of my video has pics, but if anyone has any questions about the villa let me know.

Blue Sky Provisions: Shanna was so easy to work with, I had everything I requested ready and waiting at the villa for us!! Would defiantly use her again.

The last 4 days we spent at Caneel, which is a great place to end a trip. I'd like to say we did more with our time there, but we pretty much veg'ed on Scott Beach for 3 days straight. I always enjoy the wildlife there, and how peaceful it all seems. Plus a with beach bar and great snorkeling what more could you ask for...........

Beaches: Waterlemon is my husbands favorite and always a productive snorkel.

However, I always like Little Lameshur, the ruins make for great pics and the snorkel is always good. I did get stung by a small jelly fish and felt like 2 sting rays were chasing/following me around instead of the other way around, but we still had a great time. I wish we had time to stop at Great Lameshur, I would like to explore out there one trip.

Gibney was nice, no snorkeling but perfect for floating just past the break. We were the first at the gate, but there was a group of local kids camping down at the Oppenhiemer house. So we tracked down to the far end.

Maho was perfect as always.

Francis we did in the afternoon one day, and it was super busy and we were all tired so we didn't stay long and the snorkel wasn't that great. Would put it toward the bottom of the list this trip.

Our only new beach we did was Brown Bay. The hike wasn't terrible, but I don't think it was worth it. Doubt we'd do it again. We had the beach to ourselves, which is always nice, but it was to rough and rocky to do much.

Solomon the hike is always a grind to me, I love the beach, but hate that hike for some reason.

Food highlights: Zozos at sunset was very nice. Food was great, though I wouldn't recommend the jumbo shrimp entrée I had, the shrimp were tough and actually to big for my taste. Everything else's meals was very good and the apps/salads were very tasty as well.

We ate at Spyglass twice, once for happy hour and once for dinner. Both times didn't disappoint, Shipwreck is always a favorite. I'm not sure why it doesn't get more love. Sad to hear it is closing!! :(

Bannana Deck was solid as well, the men's steaks were perfect.

For lunch or when we needed a quick dinner to take back to the villa.....Deli Gratto is always a must, but two new places that we tried may beat out DG. Sam and Jacks as well as Pickles in Paradise (Coral Bay) both were very tasty. The sandwiches were huge and plenty for dinner portions, even for the guys. Both made for perfect dinner pick-ups on the way back to the villa. And a little easier on the wallet.

Virgin Fire didn't make the top of anyone's list, it wasn't bad, just not memorable.

Columbo's and Scoops were tasty treats, but I think I'd choose Columbo's if I could only do one.

Weather was great, only rained once. Dust wasn't an issue either.

Thanks for reading my trip report and/or watching my video!!
Last edited by star2515 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NJsurfsup

Re: Trip Report April 26-May 6/video

Post by NJsurfsup »

Bravo Star you truly captured St John, wonderful pictures and terrific video. You all look so happy. I want to hug that baby donkey.
Kathyva

Post by Kathyva »

Thanks for your trip report!

I was surprised to see your comment that Shipwreck Landing is closing since I didn't hear anything about that from Coral Bay locals during my recent visit. I like that place! Can you fill us in?

I think that the land, building and 4 leases are actually for sale. Here's a 2011 link:

http://barnako.typepad.com/news_of_st_j ... -sale.html

About Brown Bay: was the snorkeling not good? Please elaborate! Thank you!
star2515

Post by star2515 »

Here is a link to the article where I saw Shipwreck was closing.

http://newsofstjohn.com/2014/06/17/popu ... -to-close/

It was sad news!! But I wish the owners good luck on their new endeavors, and hope his health improves.

Regarding Brown Bay, I read nothing but good things on here about it, so it may have just been the day/conditions we went, but there was poor visibility. There wasn't even that big of waves, but the current was churning things up pretty good and neither myself or my husband stayed out long since we couldn't see anything. Which for my husband to not stay out long is saying something because he loves snorkeling and is a strong swimmer. We did more beachcombing and rock scrambling than anything.
Kathyva

Post by Kathyva »

Oh, thanks for the link. That is Spyglass, not Shipwreck!

Thanks for posting more about Brown Bay. Oh, that would be a bit disappointing to find the mirky conditions after hiking the trail!
star2515

Post by star2515 »

LOL!! I totally know the difference between the two.......just a brain fart that got me. Spyglass!!!! I edited my original post...sorry for the confusion. We do like Shipwreck too, but didn't eat there this trip.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Love the report and the video is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Looks like you all had a great time! The video is awesome!
Linward

Post by Linward »

GREAT job! Really enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing!
Life is an adventure.
Treasure each moment.
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Love, love love your video. It brings back such wonderful memories. We were married on St John and had our wedding reception at Island Sun. We stayed at 2B Peter Bay for 10 days as we had family with small children and Island Sun was a better house for the. Regret that we could only stay 3 days there and have never been able to get back. Thanks for the video and allowing us to re live such a wonderful time in our lives. You look like you really enjoyed the house and magnificent views too.
jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

Awesome video and music. Really brought me there for 10 mins! Now, back to the real world. :(
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

Loved the video and the music! Just finalized our trip for November .... Woo Hoo
8)
[/url]
star2515

Post by star2515 »

Knolmom--thats so neat you had your wedding reception there!! Its a wonderful place, and you can't beat the views! Everything in/about that house was so well thought out. I hope you get to go back some day.... :D

Everyone else, thanks for the kind words, glad everyone has enjoyed it.

Oh---onthelake, have a good trip in Nov!! Hope the DH lets me start planning our next trip soon!! :wink:
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Oh, that was wonderful!!!! Thank you for sharing!

Looks like y'all had such a wonderful trip. I want to bring my parents one day!

The part with the pictures of people taking pictures was hilarious!

Thanks again for sharing!
BocaSue

Post by BocaSue »

Absolutely loved your video....can't wait until July 19th to be back on the rock! :D