What airlines are you using now to get to the islands

Travel discussion for St. John
VaDavid

What airlines are you using now to get to the islands

Post by VaDavid »

I used to fly USAir out of Charlotte direct to St . Thomas but it seems now that with the American merger the flights are going to Miami and then to the islands. What is everyone doing? I need to book soon for September! Thanks
ToonMann

Re: What airlines are you using now to get to the islands

Post by ToonMann »

We typically travel on American. No complaints. As we're Aadvantage Gold members we get priority check-in and boarding, no baggage fees.

But we still have to shop around for the best fares. We've found http://matrix.itasoftware.com is a great resource. You can search for the exact dates you want, or see a calendar that will tell you when you'll get the best deal.

TM
inuny

Post by inuny »

Delta has a nonstop out of JFK now (as well as AA)-we're going in September
loria

Post by loria »

typically american out of JFK (either nonstop or via miami) but at times whatever has the cheapest fare!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
loria

Post by loria »

it does look as though (at least during september? maybe until high season again?) that the nonstop is no longer on that route-- it is still running this month --but not in september.....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
SamanthaL

Post by SamanthaL »

We usually do Continental/United non stop from Newark, but they didn't have any for our trip this October. We are going to travel a little farther and go from JFK. We scored non stop flights with Delta for $320!!!!!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

US Air direct out of CLT in August.
star2515

Post by star2515 »

We're the same as the first post, USAir direct CLT-STT in the past, but CLT through MIA on AA more recently. We've also done RDU through MIA on AA as well.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We've been flying United non-stop from Dulles (Washington, DC area) to STT. Really love having a non-stop. Two weeks ago, we took off at 8:30am and landed about 4 hours later. I think they don't fly the non-stop flights in the summer. We've taken it in April, May and Nov.
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

Also going in August - Raleigh to Charlotte, then Charlotte directly to St. Thomas on U.S. Air...Actually had enough miles rewards to go FIRST CLASS! WooHoo!

US Air has already made one change to the flight...instead of leaving STT at 4:40 p.m. (which is usually the flight we always have), now leaving at 2:40 p.m. Hope there are no more changes!!
mit43

Post by mit43 »

We are very limited unless we feel like driving 3 hours to RDU. Therefore we will still fly US/AA out of OAJ. Yes, there may be an extra stop in MIA, but as long as we can get there before sunset, we won't mind too bad.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
VaDavid

Post by VaDavid »

I have been driving from Roanoke to Charlotte for a direct flight from to the St. Thomas on USAir bit it looks like they are not doing that in September. At the moment I can drive to Raleigh and fly cheaper on American but it takes a lot longer with several stops.
VaDavid

Post by VaDavid »

I hate playing games with airlines! I just booked a flight for September from Raleigh to St . Thomas going through Charlotte for $512. a ticket. If I drove to Charlotte to get on that flight the ticket was well over $700, I saved almost $500 for two of us by driving to Raleigh than Charlotte. This does not make any sense to me.
TheBeatyBunch

Post by TheBeatyBunch »

Does anyone have comments about Spirit Airlines? I was just looking into a second trip this October and I can get a flight for $354 from DTW on Spirit. We usually fly Delta or American.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

From Columbus, Ohio, we have used USAir thru Charlotte, Delta thru Atlanta and American thru Miami.....whoever is cheapest gets my business....who cares what airline, get me to the islands!!! They are all alike and I really don't like flying but it gets me there!!! I do like the Miami though because it breaks up the flight better... 8)