Grande Bay vs Gallow Pointe looking for feedback

Travel discussion for St. John
silands

Grande Bay vs Gallow Pointe looking for feedback

Post by silands »

We are going back to the Rock in March and thinking of a change...stayed at Grande Bay three years in a row would you change up to Gallow Pointe? Why? We have rented a jeep two of the three years got around fine with taxi's did a lot of pool sitting vs beach when we did not have our own ride. Ate in town which was a nice walk so not sure if we should change up or not...would you?
mit43

Re: Grande Bay vs Gallow Pointe looking for feedback

Post by mit43 »

We have not stayed at Grande Bay. However, every year we think about staying somewhere else, but we keep going back to Gallows. We would miss the sunset view from the pool and the direct access to the snorkeling. Maybe we are just comfortable being there. We love the easy walk into town as well. Most of these reasons can also be had at Grande, so it may just be a preference.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

We have only stayed at Gallows Point - 5 times in the past 5 years, most recently last week. We have only walked/driven by Grande Bay (countless times!) - never stayed. We feel Gallows Point is perfect for a couple (not as ideal for a family). We usually feel like we have the entire resort to ourselves (at least last week, and before that always in early December). It is quiet, the grounds are beautifully manicured & tropical, small pool (which we don't really use), nice hammocks and lounge chairs by the water (which we often find ourselves at mid/late afternoon after being out and about to other beaches), and remarkably good snorkeling in front of Gallows Point and to Frank Bay to the left. We have only stayed in upper ocean units, which (all units) have been renovated (granite, stainless, etc.), very spacious (2 stories with the master in the upstairs loft), 1 1/2 bathrooms, incredible views of St Thomas/Lavongo and other cays during the day, beautiful sunsets, and the lights of STT at night, no small children running around (not allowed 5 and under). And, like Grande Bay, easily accessible to Cruz Bay restaurants, bars, shops, etc. (just a 2 minute walk up the hill). Already starting to plan our next trip there this coming December.
Image[/url]
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

My husband and I stayed at Gallows Point in February; we're going back in July with our 16 yo daughter so we have rented a 2-bedroom unit at Grande Bay. We like being able to walk to town for the restaurants and shopping. If it was just the 2 of us, I would likely have rented again at Gallows Point, though I am looking forward to seeing what Grande Bay has to offer. The grounds at Gallows Point are lovely, the pool is very nice, the people are really nice and we loved being able to snorkel right outside our front door. It feels very much like a home. Our upper unit was beautiful but we did hear noise from the bars at night and if you want to sleep in, it was a bit hard to do because of the skylight above the bed and the large windows without blinds. If you want quieter, I would pick a unit as far away from Cruz Bay as possible. If you want to sleep in, I would pick a lower level unit. I think you would enjoy staying there in March - someplace different yet offering many of the same benefits.
dctac

Post by dctac »

gallows pointe...........
bushz

Post by bushz »

I may be wrong but there is a big difference in rates. Don't think you will be paying $500.00 a night at Grande Bay.