First time visitors

Travel discussion for St. John
waterguy

Re: First time visitors

Post by waterguy »

Depending how high above Chocolate hole you are you could have great sunset viewing. My first night we stop at Candies BBQ order our meals head to starfish pick up food and drinks for the week then back to Candies pick up the food order then to our villa to watch the sunset and eat.
Tom
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

You will see many itsy bitsy bikinis on the beach. But otherwise you must cover up. I use a loose sundress for a swim suit cover up. The see-thru lacy skimpy coverups are just not culturally appropriate. And men must always have a shirt on when away from the beach. If you are wearing only a swim suit away from the beach, you risk a ticket for "indecent exposure".

Another tip -- Bring a pair of light weight long pants and long sleeves in case the skeeters are bad. Much better than lathering yourself with poison.
bebackinaminute

Post by bebackinaminute »

DO NOT, I repeat...Do NOT overpack clothes, especially dressed up clothes for either of you! You really need very little. Swimsuits and coverups take top priority. A decent pair of walking/hiking shoes, flip flops, water shoes, etc. Definitely NO HEELS! She will actually look quite out of place walking around town in them! A few basics like versatile khaki or white shorts, one or two (at the most) collared shirts for you, a sundress or skirt that makes her feel kind of dressed up. She can "dress up" a simple sundress or skirt with accessories like a necklace, earrings or bracelet. She can bring a couple of different tops to go with a single skirt or two to change it up. Things can be worn a couple of times. I found that I could have worn maybe one or two evening outfits over and over. They don't get dirty. It's definitely true....half the clothes, twice the money. St. John is expensive!
"Wrote a note said, 'Be back in a minute', bought a boat and I sailed off in it......"

bebackinaminute

Post by bebackinaminute »

We simply print boarding passes at kiosks at airport. Not a problem.
"Wrote a note said, 'Be back in a minute', bought a boat and I sailed off in it......"

kklay

Post by kklay »

I would suggest bringing along a cooler that you can fill with snacks/drinks to take to the beach or while you are exploring the island in your jeep. There are several that you can either use as a carry-on or even some nice fold-up ones that will fit in your suitcase. As an added note, no glass is allowed on the beach - I've seen people ticketed by the Park Rangers for this.

It's also a good idea to have a couple of hats in your beach bag - protects the head from too much sun and also comes in handy for that Pop-up shower that can happen at the beach - in that case just grab something to drink, put on your hat and get in the water! They don't usually last long.

Most of all just slow down and enjoy your time on the island. It's a happy time! :D
Summerlover

Post by Summerlover »

Just got back from St John, first timer and talk about falling in love with this rock!!! We have been to St Barth twice, and although we love that rock too, St Barth can't compare when it comes to the beauty of the beaches and the shades of blue of the water. Oh and the snorkeling too is abundant.

No hit with the Euro was a plus for us and our villa was wonderful with views of St Thomas.

Definitely, lots of swimsuits, coverups and flip flops. Throw in a couple sundresses but nothing fancy.

We loved Jumbie Beach, Trunk Bay, Maho and admit we didn't get to all the beaches.

We also chartered a boat to the BVI's, all I can say is next trip, we will stay a couple days there before our stay to St John.

Have a great time, report back!!