Good Day, forumites

Travel discussion for St. John
lightpacker

Good Day, forumites

Post by lightpacker »

Greetings everyone

My wife and I are returning to St John in a couple weeks. I've been enjoying the forum for a while, loving all the pictures and stories of people's trips.

Last time we were there, you could watch Centerline road crumble away before your eyes, so I'm curious to see the progress there.

I'm doing the Beach-to-Beach Power Swim again, but other than that, no real plans. But I want to find where people go to snorkel the mangroves - I see some mangroves marked on the national park map around Reef Bay and Francis Bay - where have people here gone to snorkel in mangroves? Any access by jeep/foot? I saw a post about Haulover (south) but I don't remember any mangroves there.
Thanks! Mike
lightpacker

Re: Good Day, forumites

Post by lightpacker »

Also any advice or experience about prescription lenses for dive mask rentals would be greatly appreciated ! :shock:
psufan

Post by psufan »

Can't answer your question about the mangroves. I have seen the Island Roots takes charters into Hurricane Hole for mangrove snorkeling. There may be some in Princess Bay as well. As far as prescription snorkel masks we were able to rent some at Low Key Watersports.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Mangrove snorkeling is accessible from land at Princess Bay. As you drive out to the East End you will see the mangoves on your right. After a little while there is a sandy pulloff area with parking for at least two jeeps at the entry area. You can see the entry from the road. Here is a picture of what you are looking for:

Don't wear fins, it is very shallow. Use your arms to move around or you will stir up all the silt and not be able to see anything. We don't do this snorkel every time, but it is a fascinating place to check out once in a while.

It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
lightpacker

Post by lightpacker »

Thanks for the replies and tips - will definitely check out Low Key for a mask. And Princess Bay sounds easy to get to - the pictures of mangroves are fascinating.

Being a newb I have to try a picture - this is a cloudy morning at Periwinkle - long story short, the rental agency finally replied to our emails and confirmed our suspicion that our dates weren't entirely available (months after the down payment.. :x ), so we'll spend the first night at Cinnamon Bay while they clean up the villa.

loria

Post by loria »

oh dear! who is the management company that let that happen!!!???
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
lightpacker

Post by lightpacker »

great caribbean getaways - the good news is, the way it worked out is probably the only way I'd get my wife to consider staying at Cinnamon Bay :lol: I'd be happy to stay there the whole time, but a house is nice too.
SheilaW1

Post by SheilaW1 »

Hey Lightpacker - we've stayed at Periwinkle in Coral Bay a number of times. It's a great cottage and has everything you will need. We especially love the end of the road privacy and just hanging in the evenings on the screened porch... has a wonderful hammock too! They just redid the pool and lower deck area and put a new hot-tub in about 2 years ago. You will love it!! We tried booking it for our trip in June but sadly it was unavailable. We are staying on the hill above Periwinkle instead. Safe travels and enjoy!!!
Image[/url]
lightpacker

Post by lightpacker »

Sheila, I agree completely, and the price is reasonable. We stayed there last year, too. Funny thing though, there were kestrels nesting on the porch downstairs and they would swoop at us as we walked by! Very exciting. :lol:

Goats would climb down the hill onto the shed roof and the owner's car, then hop onto the ground!
SheilaW1

Post by SheilaW1 »

What great photos!!! We'll be down June 7-15th....can't wait....
Image[/url]