Anguilla, Bonaire - other?

Travel discussion for St. John
XOXO

Re: Anguilla, Bonaire - other?

Post by XOXO »

We are thinking about going to the Bahamas, Great Exuma, for our next trip.

I have had Grand Cayman on my bucket list for many years. I always talk myself out of it.

Turks and Caicos is on my bucket list also.

Have you booked yet? Where are you going? Please come back and report. I am always looking for St. John--somewhere other than St. John--to change things up.
Linward

Post by Linward »

Thank you for starting this thread. Of course we LOVE STJ - but we, too, are looking for a new island to explore. We are avid snorkelers - not divers.

We have been to Roatan twice. The snorkeling there is very good - beautiful, healthy coral and lots of sea critters. There is a lot of drug trafficing though, and we never felt completely safe - though there are many others who don't share that feeling.

We went to Bonaire this year. We did find some good snorkeling spots, but a lot of the coral by the shore is dead. We saw lots of beautiful fish - including some huge (3-4 foot) parrot fish. It was pretty windy when we were there (March), so entries and exits were a bit rough. The island is very arid - mostly cactus - not at all lush and "tropical" like STJ.

We've been looking at the outer islands of Belize, but there is no shore snorkeling...

We're kind of snorkeling "snobs" - looking for great, easy-entry shore snorkeling with healthy coral and lots of critters. We're really into underwater photography. And we really like the STJ "tropical", scenery. I know, I know - why look elsewhere?? We just like new experiences/adventures - but we don't want to make a mistake and end up somewhere that we don't like...

I hope many more will chime in with suggestions/advice.
Life is an adventure.
Treasure each moment.
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

Yes, thank you for starting this thread...My husband and I have been to Turks and Caicos...we caught the snorkel bug there and knew we had to share the experience with our kids. We weren't fond of T&C so did a little research and found St. John. This summer will be our family's 4th visit to STJ. I absolutely love it, but our kids are wanting us to go somewhere different. We love to snorkel and appreciate being able to snorkel off the beach. My husband and son take advantage of diving opportunities when they can.

Is there another place worth exploring??!! :? :)
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

We've been to T&C twice (Providenciales). The snorkeling was good but not nearly as good as St. John. Mainly 2 spots for from the beach snorkeling but we did do a nice sail and had good snorkeling from the boat. One main beach and then some others a drive away that were nice. Really nothing but water activities there either - no hiking, not much shopping. Some very nice restaurants if you are a foodie.

Loved the vibe of Belize (Ambergris Cay) but all the decent snorkeling is from a boat and no lush beaches. Loved the excursions to ruins, Cay Caulker (another island) etc. Definitely worth a trip but don't go expecting what you get in St. John. It is an entirely different experience.

We've looking at BVI for next year, probably Virgin Gorda.
Last edited by snorkeler525 on Tue May 06, 2014 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jerseygirl062

Post by jerseygirl062 »

Virgin Gorda is another great pick that would fit your requirements. Villa accommodations right on a white sandy beach at Mango Bay and Nail bay with a double reef system steps from your doorway. Other accommodations at the other end with the Guavaberry properties are just a short hike or 3 min drive to great snorkeling among the boulders. We just returned and some of our highlights underwater were rays,turtles, said, yellow and blue trumpetfish,white spotted filefish(looked like works of art!),2 Queen triggerfish,spotted drums,schools of blue tang and sergeant majors and a French Angelfish.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Virgin Gorda is our second favorite after STJ. Check out the villas at Mahoe, Mango Bay condos and the villas rented by Gauvaberry for on the beach or very close to the beach lodging. The water conditions didn’t cooperate with us so our snorkeling was limited but in general, snorkeling from the beach is supposed to be very good. I could see the reefs and coral from the beach and I look forward to returning to VG.

We spent 10 days on Anguilla in 2011. This is the villa we rented - http://www.twinpalmsvillas.com/.

It wasn’t beachfront, it was about a half block from the beach with nice water views (the elevation gives you a view over the row of condos on the beach). The house has dedicated chairs on the beach for the guests’ use. It was a great house and I would definitely rent it again. There was a small condo place in front of it that looked good. I can’t remember the name, it is on Meads beach. Turtle Cove was another I saw on the same beach. Then there are the resorts like Cap Juluca, Cuisnart, Frangipani, etc. on the island.

What we liked about Anguilla – fantastic restaurants (pricey), the gorgeous beaches, easy beach access, most, if not all, beaches have at least one bar/restaurant with free loungers for patrons.

What we didn’t like about Anguilla – lack of from the beach snorkeling, a town like Cruz Bay where we could walk around at night to pop in and out of the bars/restaurants.

I completely agree with DonnaM’s comment of “We love Anguilla but STJ has more to offer for us!”

We have stayed on Provo, Turks and Caicos Islands twice. We rented a unit here for my mom’s 50th birthday trip - http://www.aquamarinebeachhouses.com/. The complex is right on Grace Bay beach. The owner’s live on-site and are hands-on managers. The pool is shared with the other units. I remember the snorkeling directly in front to be very good and there are other sites a short walk from Aquamarine. There are tons of on the beach options on Grace Bay, from cottages to condos.

Someone had a really good trip report about renting a villa on Grace Bay, jmq maybe?

What we like about Provo – easy travel, lots of on the beach lodging, beautiful beaches, and great restaurants

What we didn’t like about Provo – you need a car to get anywhere and driving to restaurants takes a while, food and drink is extremely expensive
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Thanks, everyone!

I really appreciate all the comments.

FYI: We have done Guavaberry Spring Bay on VG 4 times, Mango Bay on VG once and have done Sibonne' on Turks and Caicos.

We just need to decide whether or not trying "something new" is worth the risk. We have to "wrap our heads around the fact" that there is no island that is LIKE ST. JOHN - but, not actually ST. JOHN.

A part of me is just wanting a NEW place to "us" - where we can wake up and just walk out on to "our beach". I have to come to grips with the fact that in order to get that in a "new place", we might have to give up the focus on fantastic snorkeling for a year, in order to get: 1) beachfront accommodations, 2) beachfront bars/restaurants and if we stay on Shoal's Bay - a nice 2 mile walking beach. There appears to be a LOT of island music on Anguilla - which looks like a lot of fun. IF we end up choosing Anguilla, it will be for the sole purpose of "trying something new". We are intrigues by Shoal's Bay being voted the best beach in Caribbean.

Checking out that Cayman Kai option, as well. I think we are "scared off" of Bonaire consideration, based on CRIME being mentioned numerous times on various websites.

All this said, still wouldn't be surprised if we ended up splitting our time between VG and STJ, again....LOL

Keep the comments coming!

Thanks,
Sue (& Jim)
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Sue, it sounds like you would like Anguilla. You can snorkel off Shoal Bay and Sandy Hill Bay amongst others. You won't see great coral but you will see fish and turtles. It is nice to have a bunch of great beach restaurants and bars and lots of them do have live music. Several boats also run half day snorkeling trips out to Prickly Pear.
What's the worst that can happen? You enjoy yourselves but decide to go back to
STJ next year.
The only other suggestions I would have would be Grenada or St. Lucia. Both have good snorkeling, a more mountainous landscape and fun things to do. We stayed in small resorts on both islands so I can't comment on the quality of restaurants ( a very important part of vacation for us! )
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Hi there! I do not have any personal experience with either but ya may want to PM Rachelle and Joe they love Anguilla and are very familiar with the island. They are wonderful people and I am sure they would be more than happy to share with you. Good luck!