An Equatorial Heliochronometer

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

An Equatorial Heliochronometer

Post by Coconuts »

Aka: "Sundial". Growing up on the beach in Atlantic City, I used to make simple sundials by sticking popsicle sticks in the sand at the right angle. I've meant ever since to make a proper sundial, and the lower lawn at Coconuts provided a very fitting location. I did most of the brass machining, rolling, and CNC time strip engraving back home, but dug, hand-mixed, and cast the footing, base, column, and crown while at Coconuts, using light-weight plastic molds that I found online. My first footing had to be moved over by ten yards, as I realized the next day that the Flamboyant would shade it on winter mornings. Time is read, with one minute graduations, by the shadow cast by a brass rod (the gnomom), against the engraved time strip, and once the polar alignment is tweaked, it should be accurate to about a minute.

As it happens, the sun is not the most reliable of clocks; due to the tilt and the ellipticity of the Earth's orbit, even the best sundial will run fast or slow by up to 16 minutes during the course of a year. The corrections to address this constitute the "Equation of Time", which some of you may recall as that enigmatic lazy figure-eight off in the Pacific on globes of the Earth. The Equation of Time was first captured visually in a brilliant multiple exposure photograph (one year in the making) by Dennis di Cicco, back in 1978-79 (attached below). To implement the correction for the Equation of Time, the brass time strip slides left to right on teflon guides within a slot that I machined into the brass equatorial arc. A knob and a brass wire are attached to the right-hand end of the time strip, and guests simply align the wire with the current month on a small EOT graphic to calibrate the sundial. A laminated paper EOT is there for now, but this quickly bleaches under the tropical sun, so I'm CNC engraving a brass version to be installed during our next visit. I'm not sure if there are any math geeks on this forum (cocosmom?), but FWIW, I've attached a copy of the spreadsheet that I wrote to calculate the Equation of Time.

We're really pleased with how the sundial came out; this objet d'art et science adds an elegant touch to our lawn. A small brass plaque on the landing of the stairs to the lawn reads "Le Jardin du Temps".
Sundial I
Sundial I
Sundial II
Sundial II
11:16 AM
11:16 AM
Dennis di Cicco's Analemma photograph
Dennis di Cicco's Analemma photograph
Equation of Time calculation
Equation of Time calculation
All the best,

Kevin
Last edited by Coconuts on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
loria

Re: An Equatorial Heliochronometer

Post by loria »

cool! have you ever read about or been to jantar mantar? you might find it a very interesting site (in Jaipur, India)
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Loria: No, I have yet to make it to India, although I have seen photos of the remarkable sundials and other astronomical constructions there.

Kevin
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Oh my gosh- that is beautiful!
Nancie-Pa

Post by Nancie-Pa »

Wait a minute...you live in beautiful New Hampshire, own a villa on our beloved St John AND you're smart enough to make a cool sundial! Okay, now you're just showing off! :roll:
Seriously though, that is one piece of lawn art that is beautiful and interesting. Well done!
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
toni

Post by toni »

Wow, and you made a 3D map of STJ too! Very very impressive :D
Thanks for sharing.
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

And hoping not to be irreverent or disrespectful, you spent your childhood in AC and didn't grow up to be a Craps Dealer!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

It's beautiful. And looks like it's sitting on the exactly perfect 12" of earth that it was meant for.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Looks really cool. Didn't realize you were from Jersey.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

[/quote] I'm not sure if there are any math geeks on this forum (cocosmom?), but FWIW, I've attached a copy of the spreadsheet that I wrote to calculate the Equation of Time.

Very cool! I confess to the math geek reference ...been up since 5:00 AM looking up new math lessons BEFORE checking the forum and spice cam...now that proves it.

Need you to stop in Annapolis and teach a sundial lesson!
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

love this!
acaldaroni

Post by acaldaroni »

How freakin' cool is this! I use Star Walk (android / iphone app) to monitor the movement of the stars / sun / planets for astrophotography - I'd much prefer to harken back to the analogue days of reading an equatorial heliochronometer! Awesome Kevin!
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Sheldon Cooper visits the rock!
PointPeeps

Post by PointPeeps »

Kevin,
If you are on island when we get to Coconuts, would you like this Jersey Shore Gal to bring some White House subs for ya? :)
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Pointpeeps: That would be awesome! A lot has changed in AC over the years, but the White House Sub Shop has been there through thick and thin. Make it a Special, and a whole, not a half! I grew up on Illinois Avenue, first one block from the beach, and later two. The majestic Traymore Hotel (postcard below) was on the boardwalk at Illinois Avenue, but alas, was imploded in 1972. In the opening sequence of Boardwalk Empire, as Nucky (Buscemi) turns away from the ocean, a very convincing CGI Traymore appears, and really tugs at my memories. My great uncle Edward Bader served as mayor of AC during the Roaring Twenties, and appears in season one of BE, albeit as a corrupt front man for Nucky.

Sailorgirl: Ouch! I haven't watched the series, but Wikipedia describes Sheldon as having "an almost total lack of social skills, a tenuous understanding of humor, and he experiences difficulty recognizing irony and sarcasm in other people, although he himself often employs them. He exhibits highly idiosyncratic and narcissistic behavior and a general lack of humility or empathy". Check on the Physics bit, but MIT, not Caltech, and I'm reasonably sure the differences run deeper. One can, I hope, be both a geek and a mensch.
The Traymore
The Traymore
All the best,

Kevin
Last edited by Coconuts on Mon May 05, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.