Undercover....

Travel discussion for St. John
Agent99

Undercover....

Post by Agent99 »

I confess, it's kind of a game for my family- some of you already know and for others I will explain in a week or two but......can someone on island now or recently report on what the Westin pool towels are looking like these days? Last year they were blue and white stripe but I see that the chair cushions have been updated and are a moss green. Are they back to the cream towels?
SusieQT

Re: Undercover....

Post by SusieQT »

2 weeks ago they were blue & white stripes. They were everywhere!

I assume you have been to STJ several times. I'm in the "if you want to hang at the Westin pool on STJ, then STJ isn't for you." I have never stayed at the Westin nor been to their pool. :wink:
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

I'm in the "if you want to hang at the Westin pool on STJ, then STJ isn't for you."
Blasphemy!

Haha. Since my boys were little we have a tradition of crashing the Westin pool after a day at the beach for frolic and happy hour cocktails once or sometimes twice a trip. My boys and hub used to play hide and seek around the pool--plenty of places to hide. Now it's all about nostalgia but hopefully we'll be hide and seeking around the Westin pool with grandkids in to not so distant future.

Anyway, looks like the blue and white stripe Westin towels occupying a special STJ section of my linen closet will be taking a road trip in a few days. Thanks for the scoop.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Agent99 wrote: Anyway, looks like the blue and white stripe Westin towels occupying a special STJ section of my linen closet will be taking a road trip in a few days. Thanks for the scoop.
I have to take my shoe phone off to send you a message I got a great laugh about your Westin comments. We crash the Westin six years ago so the girls could play on the big floats in the water. We just sat on a lounge chairs without towels so they would not know we were not guests. I like your idea better
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Yes, my criminal mind is a source of all manner of mischief. :D
kklay

Post by kklay »

I also saw many of the Westin blue and white towels while on STJ the week of 3/15. I think your tradition is really neat! I have stayed at the Westin several times and their pool area is very relaxing. STJ has accommodations for everyone and doesn't mean that just because you enjoy some pool time at the Westin, that StJ isn't for you! Enjoy your time on STJ, our group will be back this November and I can't wait! We aren't staying at the Westin this time but who knows, maybe we'll have to stop by the pool and have a Couple of beverages At the pool bar!
nuendelcapecod

Post by nuendelcapecod »

This is Too Funny! I would like to know the secret for scoring a blue and white striped towel. They were ALL OVER THE PLACE at OUR beach - Cinnamon Bay. If you didn't grab your spot by 9 am some blue and whiter would have it. Would love to return the favor and crash THEIR place!
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Aaaaaagh! Those damn towels are the bane of my existence. I bought 6 lovely thick blue striped beach towels from Williams Sonoma that are a little more aqua than the Westin towels but close enough. So now when we exit the water and look for our towels, we can never find them. I should rent mine out to people wanting to visit the Westin.
Btw, we are so not resort people but have stayed at the Westin twice during our villa remodeling. It is very nice and relaxing and I would totally have enjoyed relaxing at that pool if I wasn't unpacking our house! STJ is all about getting out and about and seeing everything but sometimes you just need to relax with food, drink and bathrooms close by. We are not judging anyone!!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

So funny!
The only times I've ever "crashed The Westin" wasn't quite so sneaky;
Got My Sweetheart Amy a massage and killed the 60-90 minutes at the pool bar.
Did it a couple of times when we were on 'couples trips',too.- me and my buddy surprising the girls with the massages, and just us 2 dudes limin' away with adult beverages, checking out the goings-on. I think the massages were therapeutic for all involved... 8) I didn't really think of it as any type of frowned upon naughtiness because we were giving them business. "Justifiable Crashing."
Smiles-
MJ
kklay

Post by kklay »

Mahojim, I like that term, "Justifiable Crashing."

I'm going to have to use it on my Fall trip, if you don't mind! :wink:
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

LOL- you are right Jim- you were totally legit! For us when the kids were little we didn't want to sit at the bar or be confined to a table at the restaurant so that's when the stealth towel 'borrowing' began so we could claim a couple of lounge chairs. Here's how it worked. On our first full day we'd drop by for a quick dip with no towels on the way back from the beach. On our way out we borrowed 4 abandon towels and brought them back to our place to launder. Then we kept the fresh ones in the car so we could drop by anytime. When we knew it was our last crash we left the towels behind.

Last year though, our last visit never happened so the famous towels came home with us. They've visited a Cape Ann beach or two during the summer but the rest of the year occupy their own special corner of my closet awaiting their homecoming in April and it makes me happy to see them there. I know it's wrong but I am who I am. :)
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

OMG Agent 99, you are the person my mother warned me about!

We travel with my mom and husband to resorts and my mom lectures us non-stop about keeping track of our towels because people will "steal them." There were threats of $50 per towel if not returned.

I rolled my eyes each time until our last trip, when a woman walked over to my bag and removed a towel. (My mom chased her down and got it back.)

We have Caneel towels from years ago. (my husband asked for them and they were given to us.) We were on Block Island and some recognized them and yelled "you stole those towels!"
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

PA Girl wrote:OMG Agent 99, you are the person my mother warned me about!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beachboy

Post by Beachboy »

Shame on you my fellow NE'ers. If you have been taking those VI towels to Cape Ann and Block Island they will be freezing. Wrap them in an electric blanket until you can properly rescue them to the VI.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Beachboy wrote:Shame on you my fellow NE'ers. If you have been taking those VI towels to Cape Ann and Block Island they will be freezing. Wrap them in an electric blanket until you can properly rescue them to the VI.
Ha! Rest assured, they are having a nice retirement life at our cottage where I think of Caneel/STJ every time I use one.