Good Italian?

Travel discussion for St. John
Agent99

Good Italian?

Post by Agent99 »

Hi All,

I still miss Paradiso over in Mongoose. Not that it would have stood out in the North End of Boston but we love the space and had some of our favorite dinners there. Years ago we also liked the restaurant that was where Waterfront Bistro is now- can't even remember the name :( What's the best Italian restaurant on the island now? I heard Cafe Roma is re-opened. We occasionally took away pizza from there but for some reason only dined in once years ago. I think we found it uncomfortable- maybe there was no a/c?

We loved Joe's Rum Hut pizza and will probably do that again. Any word on the place across from Lime Inn? I glanced at the menu last year and it looked very expensive but with little atmosphere and that counts with me. Should we give it a try?
Wolfhound

Re: Good Italian?

Post by Wolfhound »

Da Livio, across from the Lime Inn, has fantastic Italian food. The wait staff can be kind of meh, but the food makes up for it. My favorite Italian on the island.
Kevino

Post by Kevino »

Waterfront Bistro used to be Panini Beach and before that, Seychelles. I agree the "old cafe roma" was stuffy and atmosphere not that inviting. But I do hear good things about the remodel with a/c and good menu. Da livio has awesome pizza as well! I'll be on island soon and will try all the restaurants. My wife's family is on island now and rave about the big difference at Cafe Roma.
mfaughey

Post by mfaughey »

Da livio has excellent pizza, and I found the staff to be very friendly and personable...
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I love Cafe Roma. They are one of the few restaurants on STJ that has a/c, maybe it wasn't working well when you were there? I'm sure it will be working fine now that the restaurant has been rebuilt :)
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Thanks all! I knew you'd hook me up with the latest. We will definitely hit both Cafe Roma and Da Livio this this time- I'll report back!

Theresa, it was at least 12 years ago, and I think it rings a bell that they did not have a/c at the time. I also remember that you were not allowed to order pizza at the tables- you had to order entrees. We thought that was a bit odd but all that's changed now and I really am looking forward to going back!

Panini Beach. That's it. We liked it there, too. Love Waterfront Bistro, too. So many good choices and not enough damn time.
rays&rum13

Post by rays&rum13 »

Please do keep us posted! We went to Da Livio almost two years ago now, horrible experience, terrible atmosphere, waitstaff, etc. I saw the owner going at with people posting their reviews on TA & I actually called him out on it because I thought it was pretty unacceptable as a business owner(this was about a year ago) since then it seems reviews have gotten better and I don't see him fighting with so many people- at least no openly on a review site, lol. Maybe he's taking the constructive criticism. One can hope, I think there is potential there!
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Hey Ray! Based on your post I went and read those reviews and am feeling a necessary upcoming undercover op! I cannot tell you how intrigued I am by the reviews. There is positively no middle ground. People either love it or hate it. I find it a combination of horrifying and hilarious that the chef actually fights back and insults the reviewers that were unhappy!! So frigging entertaining. Don't judge me. This type of thing entertains me between episodes of the Housewives.

But you can rest assured that there will be a visit or two and a detailed report.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Also, I can't say it does not piss me off a little that he insults a couple of other local establishments. Not a good way to make friends. So he's starting with a point against him, imo.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

We ate at both Cafe Roma and DaLivio's in February. Both were very good.

We had salad, app (mussels, I think) and Pizza at DaLivio's - all were very good; service was good, as well.

Don't remember what we had at Cafe Roma, but it was also good. I believe that you can still only order pizza at the bar or take out. The space hasn't changed much except there is a nice mural on the wall, but the layout is the the exact same.

Then, of course, there is the new ZoZo's. Great location at Caneel. We also ate there and it was wonderful.

Have a great trip.
janet
ArkieLovesSTJ

Post by ArkieLovesSTJ »

I will throw another option out there. We really enjoyed the Italian food at Tamarind Court when we ate there in October. We ate until we were stuffed and still took a ton of food back to the villa.
mfaughey

Post by mfaughey »

On the food topic (sorry if hijacking), does anyone have any thoughts on the place in Gallows where ZoZo's was?
MadCityMom

Post by MadCityMom »

I don't have any suggestions on good Italian, but just wondering when Agent99 will be back and hoping for those great trip reports with pictures!
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

I totally forgot Zozo's!
MadCityMom, thanks for that nice compliment. We go this Sunday. That's why I'm a little hyper obsessed with this forum. The rest of the year it's almost too painful to check in here more often. Was not at all sure we were going to be able to pull a trip together this year but the island gods smiled upon us and wings will be up Sunday morning!
Pia

Post by Pia »

Love DaLivio - true Italian according to my Italian friend who converses with Mr DaLivio in Italian when we visit, BUT I have to say on Wednesday nights only at Pickles in Coral Bay they are currently having Italian night with the cuisine made by an Italian chef (I believe) and it was the BEST Italian I have eaten in a long, long, long time but you would have to get there early.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties