VG first, then STJ or STJ then VG?

Travel discussion for St. John
SuefromMA

Re: VG first, then STJ or STJ then VG?

Post by SuefromMA »

Yay, you!

You are making a great decision regarding splitting your time between VG and STJ. We have done it quite a few times.

Our suggestion would definitely be to do Virgin Gorda first!! I definitely PREFER to be on St. John for the last leg of our trip. You NEVER know when seas can be rough and ferry schedules could be affected. Would just sleep better that last night, knowing that STT is just a short ride away.

That said, if you are on a STRICT calendar - you may need to plan your trip around ferry schedules. We have always started our VG leg by arriving into STT on a Thursday early afternoon and catching the DIRECT "Speedy's Ferry" from Charlotte Amalie to Virgin Gorda at 5:00.

By all means - check out the cost of going the San Juan route with puddle jumper to Virgin Gorda. But, you might find that it is cheaper to go in and out of STT. We actually REALLY enjoy flying in to STT and taking that nice long Ferry ride to arrive at VG. It is a beautiful trip. Usually arrive in VG at about 6:30.

On VG, we have stayed at Guavaberry and absolutely LOVED it. The individual one bedroom units are incredibly situated on the lovely property. All views are beyond stunning. The owner, Tina, also manages individual houses - so, if you want more DELUXE accomodations, I am sure that she can find something that will suit your needs.

We have also stayed at Mango Bay Resort. It is a lovely property with fantastic snorkeling right off the beach. They also provide free use of kayaks and have a very nice beach with lounge chairs. We actually stayed at their very reasonably priced BEACHFRONT STUDIO and loved our stay there.

Depending on "swell conditions", we have often headed up to Mango Bay to use their beach when swells have been up at Guavaberry Spring Bay's beach.

I would definitely go to VG first and explore the Coppermine Ruins, check out The Baths, walk along the beautiful beach coast from Spring Bay National Park and to the right.

As far as getting FROM VG to STJ, there are - of course - certain days when you can get their pretty directly. But, if you find that you want to get over to start your trip on STJ on a day when there is NO DIRECT ferry, you can always do what we have done the past couple of years: We took a 7:00 Speedy's ferry from VG to Road Town Tortola, grab a cab to West End Tortola - then grab the 8:30 Native Son Ferry to Cruz Bay or another one - there are a couple. In any event, you will be on STJ by 9/9:30. "Yes" - it is a bit of "running around" - but, can be done. Also, you don't "waste" a whole day waiting for an afternoon ferry from VG to Cruz Bay.

I TOTALLY agree, that at least for us - getting feet on the ground (or toes in the sand) on St. John is still coming home... Would agree to save it for last, if it fits in with your calendar.

Have fun planning!

Sue
jmq

Post by jmq »

Rick G - re the welcoming committee: you mean like this?

https://plus.google.com/photos/10858424 ... pMOGlpmsXw
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
jmq

Post by jmq »

Well Maggy and Sue prove that the logistics can be dealt with many different ways, including getting to STT from VG on the day of departure.

Also actually a good point about getting over to STJ from VG earlier via Tortola vs waiting for the 3pm “direct” ferry.

While Guavaberry is far from camping, it may also be far from upper tier villas on STJ. Simple and clean are the best way to describe. Best thing about it is obviously the beach and their beach chairs, Val and Tina in the office, the well stocked commissary on site that runs on the honor system, and (for us) walk-able (or swim-able) over to The Baths off hours, or to the charming Mad Dog "Cafe" for drinks at the top of the Baths.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
RickG

Post by RickG »

JMQ, that video was great. Pearl kicked my ass to get in my car. The dog kicked Christine out of the front seat and she sat in the back, it was hilarious. I had to tell her to get in the back, it was pretty funny.

Maybe folks stay at better villas than we do, but we love the Guavaberry scene. Ready to go back.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

I guess I should clarify what I meant when I said "camping" :oops: . I meant set up like a camp ground with different housing areas with a main commissary and pool area. After reading your stories and seeing the doggie, Guavaberry is looking more and more like my kind of place!!!

Thank you so much for your input!
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

It is indeed a wonderful relaxed place, but just for your info, there is no pool at Guavaberry. If you want a pool, rent one of the private villas Guavaberry manages. You can still enjoy Guavaberry's facilities, like beach chairs, towels, commissary etc
RickG

Post by RickG »

Ride to the Beach:

Some more photos of a Guavaberry Spring Bay Easter Week 2012:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... e8aaa8c766

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI