VG first, then STJ or STJ then VG?

Travel discussion for St. John
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

We are planning our 2015 return to STJ (yay!) and I am really wanting to go to Virgin Gorda this time. I'd like to stay there for 4 nights and rent a villa on STJ for a week. I know some of you have done both islands and I am hoping you can give me some advice. Here are my thoughts:

Stay on VG first so we'll have an easier time returning to STT for the flight home as well as being able to chill on Francis my last day of vacation. I'd also like to think I'd have more inclination to explore VG in the beginning of my trip before I completely surrender to island time.

OR

Stay on STJ first and move over to VG after we've achieved complete chill mode so we won't be disappointed in the lack of night life/restaurants on VG. I'm only guessing this to be true from the trip reports I've read. If we did VG last, we'd arrive on STT the night before our flight because I'm a nervous nelly and need to be at the airport in plenty of time. Although missing my flight and being forced to stay another night down there may not be a bad ides :mrgreen: .

I appreciate any and all suggestions and comments that you may have!
jayseadee

Re: VG first, then STJ or STJ then VG?

Post by jayseadee »

We did both a few years ago. We did VG first to make the travel home a lot easier. We went in November and VG was very quiet.

Have a great trip.
janet
RickG

Post by RickG »

Check the STT<->VG and STJ<->VG ferried against your travel dates. They don't run every day and may drive you to West End or Road Town in order to make connections.

We love both, and I fall in love with VG more with every trip. Still, STJ is my favorite. VG feels like vacation and STJ feels like home.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

St John first as your flights, in and out of St Thomas will be easier and cheaper. Take the ferry over to VG and yes, double check the times. You can enter back to St John thru customs there. I love Virgin Gorda... :o
UF Prof

Post by UF Prof »

I seldom post any more, in fact have trouble remembering how to sign in! That being said, VG deserves a reply. We did a week on VG in Nov followed by the 2nd week on STJ. I would recommend that to anyone. We flew on Seaborne (I think) from San Juan, small plane but a fun flight, great views of islands along the Drake Passage. Took the ferry from VG to STJ, only runs certain days as I recall so check the days. Made an easy way to get to STJ. I would recommend VG first since it is fairly easy to fly into and if the days aline with the stars, the ferry from VG to STJ is also easy. Strongly recommend renting a jeep to see the island and visit various beaches. One word on the restaurants on VG, they are generally good! If looking for a an inexpensive nice place to stay, I liked Quavaberry (sp?) Cottages, no phone, no TV, just peace and quiet. The people running them really have their act together!
For a lot more details, see LProf's (or is it IProf?) posts on the BVI forum.

Best,
Its been a hell of a ride, destination still unknown!
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

We have split our vacation between STJ and VG two times, with the third time doing this combo, coming up in two weeks.

We always start with St John first, as it feels like VG is better suited once you have relaxed completely. That said, we love both. Going back on a Saturday from VG to STT is easy with a direct ferry in the morning, so flying out from STT is not a problem.
jmq

Post by jmq »

We’ve done it both ways and sometimes (for me anyway) it can be a matter of working the logistics associated with the airfare booking and ferry service. Last time I booked our mainland flight JFK to SJU, then return flight STT to JFK – that booking was less than $400. Then we took Air Sunshine from SJU to VG, stayed for 4 nights at Guavaberry, then took that non-stop ferry to STJ (that goes onto STT) that runs on Thurs or Sunday (vs the ferries on the other days that connect thru Tortola) for 5 nights on STJ and then the short STJ to STT ferry. That’s how you do it with only 2 ferry rides – with a “one way” itinerary like that.

That’s this “direct” BVI ferry schedule (i.e. no stop in Tortola) that only runs on Thurs and Sunday 3pm:
http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_vg_stj.htm

Seems like from your original post you may only be considering going in and out of STT. If so, then yes, doing VG last would be a challenge even for an afternoon departure because that’s a lot of water to cover, you might be best served to do an overnight in STT. It might make more sense to do the STT to VG run first.

That’s this “direct” BVI ferry schedule (i.e. no stop in Tortola) that only runs Tues and Thurs 5pm and Sat 4pm:
http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_ ... peedys.htm

Note you can get to/from VG / STT on the other days but it requires a stop in Tortola (Beef Island or Road Town) and switch to the Tortola/VG ferry which would be a total of 5 ferry rides vs. 3 ferries doing the “direct” ferries.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

Wow! Thank all of you for your input! It sounds like a split stay is what we'll be doing! I'll do my homework to figure out which is best for our dates!

If I may, I'd like to pick your brains for a place to stay. Has anyone stayed at Sundowner? I'd prefer a rental near the Baths, but am really interested in this house. Our trip will be in either June or July so I'm thinking we'll need a/c if we stay on the beach. Thoughts?
RickG

Post by RickG »

I won't speak for anyone else, but.... Maggy, JMQ and we stay at Guavaberry Spring Bay. I love the setting, beach access, value, and amenities. Waking up to Pearl wagging her tail at the screen door is a bonus.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Just want to add that if you are leaving Virgin Gorda a Saturday and fly out from STT, there is an 8.30 am ferrry to STT from VG so you're in Charlotte Amalie already at 10am. Try and get off the ferry early for an easy customs clearance. Then it's just 10 minutes with taxi to the airport from the ferry terminal. The airport is usually not crowded at 11 am, so getting through checkin and security is quick and also usually there is also time for grabbing something to eat (and possibly also a goodbye painkiller :D ).

So far this has worked well for us.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Man.
Wish I had your choices to make!
You folks have me mucho curious about VG, now!
Ok, granted; never been there. BUT, as far as your itinerary- I think I'd go to VG first. It'd be a fun new adventure for a few days, and the remainder of your vacation will land you "back home" on STJ, where you're more experienced regarding your routine of departure while your trip (sadly) draws to a close.
As you know, we all meet folks down there on whichever beach,or whatever bar, or even just waiting in line at any market, and we get to share our stories about what we're up to and how everyone's holiday is unfolding. Nice way to get inside and very recent "on-hand" info to share with other travelers.
That route would be my choice.
Also, you'll know first hand if you'd like to return to VG next time, and spend more time there.
Ok.- I'm a dreamer. LOVE adventure. BUT- would save the already known "best for last", and would obviously do STJ last, after VG.
Either that, or commit to one or the other for the entire trip.
Hope I helped.
Smiles!
MJ
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

Thank y'all so much for the quick replies! We may do as MJ suggested and spend 5 days on VG first to get our feel of the island and finish our vacay with 7 days on STJ. We can always go back to VG for longer next time, right :-D? It's still a year out so I'm sure I'll be back with plenty of questions.

RickG, I've looked at Guavaberry Spring Bay and it's one of the finalists. I just can't get a feel for the place through the website. Is it set up like a campground (well, kinda)?

I was considering a Montserrat/Antigua split stay, but am still a little leery of the volcano. It looks like it's a wonderful island, but after all of your replies I'm settled on a VG/STJ stay. I'll get to Montserrat one day, but I'd like the volcano to be settled down a little longer before we go.

Thanks again!
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

Whoopsie! Double post.
lprof

Post by lprof »

I have a shot of the Guavaberry Spring Bay cottages/villas in my set of photos from our 11/13 trip. I very much agree with the comments of others in this thread.

edited to add link to pix...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/floridali ... 786461504/
Last edited by lprof on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Guavaberry is much better than it's website and the individual cottages are spread out among the boulders. Not at all like a campsite, if you ask me.

They are situated on both sides of the small road, with better views from the upper cottages and they also have a better breeze. It's a few more minutes down to the beach though, from these cottages, but still less than a 5 minute walk.

Then there is a common office building with a commissary filled with lots of good things and there is also a TV-room/computer room, WC and showers. There is also a laundry room.

Cottages are basic but very cosy with a well stocked small kitchen, with all you need for a vacation. All cottages has a deck with a view.

Best though, is the absolutely beautiful beach (Spring bay) and Guavaberry has a shed with chairs for their guests and some flotation aids, like noodles etc.

Tips - go up early, walk to the Top of the Baths and then down to the Baths before it has opened (best before eight o'clock). Have a look around, walk through the boulders to Devils Bay, go for a swim there and then hike back up again via the trail from Devils Bay. Wonderful without all the people :D