bathrooms in a rental villa

Travel discussion for St. John
loria

bathrooms in a rental villa

Post by loria »

can i ask what people look for ( i KNOW what i look for!) currently our baths are VERY small....... we MAY be able to do an outdoor shower in one..but only one as it would be difficult on the others.....
i will certainly upgrade-- but the rooms themselves are small..... how much an issue will this be in a rental? (i.e.: no double sinks....)
thanks
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Lindy

Re: bathrooms in a rental villa

Post by Lindy »

Are the bathrooms ensuite? That's probably the most important issue for me personally. Even if the bathroom is small, it's workable if it's located in the bedroom so that you can have cosmetic items and clothing accessible nearby if the bathroom isn't large enough to accommodate having everything in there. Small bathrooms need to be efficient, but not skimpy. To me that means a shower big enough to comfortably allow for moving around, shaving legs, etc. An exhaust fan is a must to keep things from becoming steamed up and drippy for the second-in-line. If the vanity is small it's nice to have drawers, shelves or somewhere to place cosmetics out of the way while using the sink. I also find that very few bathrooms really have enough room for hanging up towels. A row of hooks would be most welcome for hanging towels, clothing or the hanging type cosmetic bags. If the bathroom is small and can only accommodate one person at a time think about having a relatively well lit area with an electrical outlet somewhere in the bedroom for the females to put on make up, dry hair, etc. while the other person is using the shower. Good lighting always makes a small bathroom look larger and easy to clean surfaces keep things looking nice in a crowded space. Tiles with dirty grout are a turn off for me. This is a long wish list but hopefully it gives you some ideas for your remodel. Good luck!
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

ensuite, modern, clean, hooks for towels near shower, storage space, bright, largest shower possible with shelves/nooks for storage (a nice tub in the master is good too if possible - I love my baths for relaxing - doesn't have to be large), good shower heads, good water pressure, consistent hot water

Have fun doing your reno!
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Lindy summed it up pretty well! Our guest baths are not large ( one sink with vanity ) but we were able to fit a roomy one person walk in shower. I hung a large wall mirror in each of the bedrooms for hair and makeup application though we do as little as possible of that stuff in STJ! Along with a long towel bar, each bathroom has a hook. I also installed some decorative outdoor towel hooks outside each room since they are under roof for towels or swimsuits. Frontgate has cool fish and starfish hooks!
Pia

Post by Pia »

I know I'm not a renter but next week come spend time in our bathroom --(that's not weird at all is it :) ) I listened to my family for a long time before we rebuilt and incorporated their wish list - I think it works really well

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
loria

Post by loria »

Thanks all-- sorry for the weird post! but i do certainly appreciate the feedback--
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I admit to be insanely picky about a lot of things when I look for a rental but I would not be turned off by small bathrooms. Double sinks aren't even on my radar.

With small bathrooms, I do think it is particularly important to keep it uncluttered.

I agree on the towel hooks and bars, I have yet to stay in a rental that has enough in the bathroom.

I adore outdoor showers but not everyone does
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I would have to say that the state of the bathroom is probably the last thing on my list when I am looking for a place to rent. I don't really care whether it is upscale or not. Obviously, I want a clean space. No grungy toilets and moldy sinks please. As for the shower--either indoor or outdoor, either is fine. A window in the room is great for air circulation and natural light. A tub is so unnecessary (and wasteful) for a rental property on St. John, in my opinion. I have rented houses that have them but have never used them. I'd be afraid of draining the cistern haha!

The sink (single is fine for two people to share) would ideally have drawer storage or enough room on the counter to store some stuff. And like others have said, enough hooks for towels is a plus.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I haven't stayed in a villa yet that had a "big" bathroom, and that's not a problem.. Water temperature and pressure are important. I like all the other suggestions except the tub. It is wasteful. Yes, connection to the bedroom is very important if you can.

If you knew a good architect, he could help you with this. :wink:

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Lindy summed it up well.

But from a parental standpoint, I like to stay nearby when my young kids are showering and help them dry off after. So, enough room for both of us to fit to dry off (even if one is standing in the shower when it's off). Small is fine, as long as the layout is good. No need for double vanities. A window is nice. And lots of hooks! Personally, I've been scared by what I've seen in a drawer, so I like shelves to store my things (toiletry bags, creams, hair things, etc).
Tickerless :(
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Clean, mold free for sure. Really nice towels make up for large bathrooms. Got to agree with a outlet next to a mirror in the bedroom would be necessary for us ladies who like to dry/style our hair while hubs is showering. Dryers, curling iron cords are not long and that is always an issue. I stayed at a hotel that had a black facecloth embroideried with the word makeup. Was great for getting the mascara off and not leaving it on those nice white towels.
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

Not necessarily something relegated to the bathroom - but a drying rack of some sort is really nice to have in a rental. Having to strew wet swim wear in one or more bathrooms is kind of a pain.
loria

Post by loria »

these are great suggestions! thank you all so much!!!!!
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

The "makeup" washcloths are a good idea. We have had our brown towels ruined by benzoyl peroxide products after 2 guests and we are not a rental villa. This was friends and family! I think the bleaching doesn't show up until they are washed so they probably have no idea but it is on my villa info checklist now.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

@donna, after my stay at that hotel, I always bring a dark washcloth if I visit people to avoid leaving black on their towels. I know it comes off but I don't want them to freak. I wear contacts and can not use the make up remover pads..too greasy. You know those people have ruined their own towels so shame on them!