Using Verizon on Island

Travel discussion for St. John
tothectothec

Using Verizon on Island

Post by tothectothec »

A group of 20 are coming down in April. Some have ATT and some Verizon. I know that ATT works ok most of the time but didn't think Verizon worked or else charged you extra. I've been told that Verizon will not charge for texting now. The last time I was on Island and tried to use texting as a way to communicate with everyone it sometimes took hours to receive the text. Anyone know or use verizon for texting?
DonnaM

Re: Using Verizon on Island

Post by DonnaM »

We used Verizon for texting 3 trips in the last few months and it is pretty good. We had a couple texts not go through or take longer but I would say 90% went through right away. It tells you if they don't go through so you can resend. Nothing I am texting from there is that urgent so it was fine for me.
poidog

Post by poidog »

Yes, it works okay for plain texting, but any data (pictures, videos) it'll take a while to send out. It only works around the Cruz area facing STT.
Follow our building blog @ Seas the Day Villa STJ
tothectothec

Post by tothectothec »

thanks for reply. I forgot to say all of our houses are in Coral Bay.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Verizon doesn't charge extra for texting but voice is charged at roaming charge. ATT is the provider to have here. Even with ATT you will experience areas were there is no cell service; particularly on the Coral Bay side of island.

Yes, often it will take a long time before a text or voice message will go through. If someone sends me a text while I'm in Cruz Bay, I often don't get it until I get home on Bordeaux Mountain directly below the cell tower.
dctac

Post by dctac »

I have verizon and have been hit pretty hard in past with roaming etc. A couple years ago we bought a phone from boost mobile. It gets good service, It uses att towers I believe. I don't know about text etc but it cost 10 cents a minute that we prepay as we go. We have a local 340 st john phone number ! Which is kinda cool.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Are you certain verizon is not charging for texts? Last I knew they were, but I haven't checked very recently. It sure would be easier if I could return texts on my phone rather than the ATT&T gophone we use on island.
loria

Post by loria »

i think it really depends where you are in Coral Bay...... i have verizon and couldn't do diddly until i hit probably close to Aqua bistro-- (coming from Concordia Area) -- it may have been earlier? however, the cell towers were having issues that weekend....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>