Vacation is almost over...

Travel discussion for St. John
Bigcheeze

Vacation is almost over...

Post by Bigcheeze »

Have you ever spent 9 months looking forward to the 9 days on STJ??

In a 'sick' kinda of perspective...I "live' STJ in my mind so much that the actual physical experience is so minuscule compared to the 'actual' on island hours.

Don't get me wrong...those 9 days on STJ are always satisfying...but I'm glad there is someplace so special that captivates the other 356(except for Leap year) days in my mind.

The Joke in our family...When we get to the villa the 1st night, looking over the sunset over St Thomas as we enjoy our beverages and good fortune...Dad(Me) will always joke " vacation is almost Over"...somewhat sad, but true.
lazylane

Re: Vacation is almost over...

Post by lazylane »

well said....from another addict who lives the other 355 days "on" STJ!!! :D
The2ofus

Post by The2ofus »

We sure get this! I am king of the countdown.....we are at 101 days 'til our 2nd visit to St. John!!! The anticipation is half the fun IMO.
When we go on vacation, we call our departure "that of which we do not speak".
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Bigcheeze wrote: The Joke in our family...When we get to the villa the 1st night, looking over the sunset over St Thomas as we enjoy our beverages and good fortune...Dad(Me) will always joke " vacation is almost Over"...somewhat sad, but true.
My long lost twin brother :lol: :lol:
loverotties

Post by loverotties »

I'm right there with you all . I have been counting down for months too !!!! My name is Laurie & I'm addicted to STJ LOL !!!!!
Wrinkles Only Go Where The Smiles Have Been !
psufan

Post by psufan »

Ok, I'll admit it. I have one of those countdown apps on my phone. As soon as I book a trip I program the countdown. Its an instant ticker check. However, when I get on island I try not to think about the end of my stay. Painful thoughts are banished once that warm humid air blast hits my face! It isn't until I am on the downhill side of the halfway point that leaving starts creeping in.
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

OMG, YES, YES, and YES!!! :shock:
And to add to that... obsessively stalk , I mean "read" a few forums about STJ, and try to convince my friends who want me to go to other places with them on vacation, that I not crazy for only really wanting to go back to " my happy place."
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I have a countdown on my phone and computer - tonight is says 40 days 12 hours 30 minutes. The annoying countdown in my head too often screams the other evil countdown - the one of home many days till I'm taking the walk of woe. The only way to get past it is having the next trip set up before the walk of woe happens. This next countdown will be for 4/07/15 worst case scenario, but I am hoping to squeeze another August trip in this year, so maybe it won't be quite so bad.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

It's a "foreplay", of sorts...
Being there is the climax, of course!!!
Saddest part to me is bittersweet- finally getting down those stairs from the plane and crossing the tarmac, seeing the folks through the window looking at you while they're awaiting their outgoing flights,after their vacation. A "how much is that doggie in the window" feel, knowing that I'll be on that very side of the window, after too short a stay...
Get there, "unpack", and enjoy as much as humanly possible!
Love bringing it home with me, just miss it, so desperately...
Smiles-
MJ
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

mahojim wrote: A "how much is that doggie in the window" feel, knowing that I'll be on that very side of the window, after too short a stay...MJ
Great take...those trapped, poor sweaty souls on the inside looking at the smiling faces walking past them. I try not to look in the window.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Bigcheeze wrote: I try not to look in the window.
Good Lord, does that sound like a harbinger of doom !? Knowing you'll be in their shoes,well, flip-flops/ sandals all too soon...just trying not to look...knowing that that window is there, looking back at you, and FEELING yourself NOT LOOKING! OH, The envy!
No ticker, yet like a heartsick dork, I feel their pain- even now!
I think I'm gonna' try to start a new tradition and make a "Welcome Back To Vacation" sign to hold against the window when I'm leaving, and others arrive...if anyone feels it, let me know if that's too ultra-dorky!
Maybe like, "Ours is over, but now it's your turn!" kind of thing!!! I'll bet I get lots of looks through the window, and hopefully,-
Smiles-
Jimmy
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Ha! I'll call all of your obsessions and raise you one St. John episode of the Real Crazy Housewives of NYC that I am watching right this minute! :lol:
Littlecheeze

Post by Littlecheeze »

Bigcheeze wrote:Have you ever spent 9 months looking forward to the 9 days on STJ??

In a 'sick' kinda of perspective...I "live' STJ in my mind so much that the actual physical experience is so minuscule compared to the 'actual' on island hours.

Don't get me wrong...those 9 days on STJ are always satisfying...but I'm glad there is someplace so special that captivates the other 356(except for Leap year) days in my mind.

The Joke in our family...When we get to the villa the 1st night, looking over the sunset over St Thomas as we enjoy our beverages and good fortune...Dad(Me) will always joke " vacation is almost Over"...somewhat sad, but true.
Vacation basically IS almost over with only 21 days away!
"Changes in latitude changes in attitude"

rays&rum13

Post by rays&rum13 »

Just think big & little Cheeze, it's a LONG 9 days for those stuck here in the -10 temps watching little Benji Boop. ;) the countdown keeps you occupied, it's a true love as I like to call it.