Would you...?

Travel discussion for St. John
Xislandgirl

Re: Would you...?

Post by Xislandgirl »

Would I? No

I LOVED living on island but it was not easy. The every day inconviences seem almost cute when on vacation but when they become part of every day life, I just don't have the patience for it anymore.
I did live on island before internet shopping allowed you to have the world at your door, so it was harder to get things, and for a long while there was no cable on island. Cell Phones did not exist either. It was a different world, and I know that the island has progressed since then, but it is still not easy. Is it warm and filled with beatiful beaches and great people? Absolutely! But it is not a place that I want to live...UNLESS I did not have to work and had a very large retirement :)
Just my .02
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Every trip, my husband and I talk about moving to STJ. Twice I had a resident tell me about job openings that would have been a perfect fit for me. But the reality is, at this stage in our life, the reality of island living would be a slap in the face.

We have talked about doing a long term rental 10 or 15 years down the road and testing the waters then.
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

I could leave my kids, but now that I have grandchildren I don't know that I could leave them! I wouldn't mind living part time on island, though!
Pia

Post by Pia »

I'm coming from a different angle as I don't have children....I would ask you this - how would you feel, if in 1 year, 4 years, 10 years your grown children decided they wanted to move to England and, without a thought did so, would you regret not taking this opportunity ? Just something to think about as when I was 23 that was exactly what I did and that was never something I ever dreamed I would do in a million years. Also have you spoken to your children - how would they feel if they knew you were giving up on your dream for them.

Pia

Oh and one more - when we decided to move here we always asked "whats the worst thing that could happen" - well we decided we might hate it and then we would just move back to the States - you never know unless you try :)
Realtor - St John Properties
BAILEYBAY

Post by BAILEYBAY »

We have 6 grandkids that would make it impossible. We absolutely adore them and are used to seeing them weekly. My husband and I love St John but could never go for months without our grandchildren. We, and them, would be miserable. If money were no object .....but for now....family wins out over island hands down!!
kklay

Post by kklay »

I believe for some of us, it is more realistic to think that someday, we will be able to visit more frequently and also stay for more than 10-12 days at a time. I'm even looking into purchasing a condo that could be rented out, and also used for our purpose when on island. That would be the best of both worlds for me! If the kids and/or grandkids move away from where we currently live, I'm fine with that. Just gives me one more place to visit.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I don't think I would. I absolutely love St. John, but as I got older/closer to retirement I would be concerned about loss of access to high quality health care/hospitals. Also, what about the issue of medical insurance? It is my understanding that you can't get insurance on island (except maybe Medicare? Not sure on that.)
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I guess it depends on the ages of your kids.

My husband and I are in our mid-30s and first went to St. John 11 years ago on our honeymoon. Back then, it would have been great if my parents lived on STJ. But now we have two kids, one who turned 4 today and a 10 month old, it's VERY important to me that my parents are a big part of their lives...so it would suck if they lived on STJ.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Betty

Post by Betty »

I did it and do not regret one moment! Building a house was like being in labor, moments of pain but when you deliver, the pain is barely a memory.

It is hard to live on St John and not have an interest or job/business. You can only beach/boat so much, unless your Captain John Brandi and boating is your business ;)
I have started a business and my husband is a consultant and works from home in STJ. He flys up to NYC every 4-6 weeks for a week to visit clients. We have Innovative and VI Broadband Wifi, just in case one goes down we can switch and can operate our business. We have an ATT signal booster and it really has helped with cell signals. We also have a land line.

We also have a cottage in Maine that we can escape to in the summer/hurricane season, (8 weeks away from STJ is enough for me) Hubby could live all summer until mid October in Maine.

There are a lot of opportunities to start a prosperous business on St John, I have another 6 ideas running through my mind that would be a great business investment.

Our only 24 year old daughter moved down here last summer, she lives with friends. She plans to live here one more year and then move back to the states. She loves it here too, but realizes more opportunity in the dating scene exists in the states. She makes a lot of money serving and bar tending, more than she made in corporate America.

Regarding the "crime scene", the latest 2 crimes were not random. I feel very safe here.
We have some excellent Doctors on STT and if there is an emergency and something happens to me I will die where I am happy.

Not a big shopper, so this is not an issue, the stores I like all ship here.

We are living our dream, and if I never see another snowflake in my life it will be a wonderful thing! To each his own, it is not for everyone, It is for me now! When I get older and hopefully have grandchildren someday we will visit and they can visit us.
Betty

Post by Betty »

You can get health insurance down here. many of the hotels and some business's offer health care. Also some of the older kids/30 somethings that have been down here for a decade or more are putting together a small group health plan that servers, bartenders, restaurant managers and retail/sales associates are all joining. Cigna and Aetna are both down here.

You can also buy emergency evacuation insurance at a reasonable rate if your nervous about being treated down here.

We have Aetna through my husbands business and 9 times out of 10 we are covered by doctors, 100% for lab work and emergencies and appointments at the Myrah Keating Clinic. We are also covered for prescriptions at Walgreens and Kmart on STT. Chelsea Drug store does not accept state side plans.
lorijo068

Post by lorijo068 »

I love this thread and think about moving to STJ every day but wonder about all of the things that have been covered here. I think that I would like to come down for a month or two and "try it out". I work from home and on our visits have never had an issue with the internet...I don't know where we could "rent" something for a month or two...any suggestions? I have 2 grandsons and will have more in the next 2 years so I think it might be difficult but I also want to live my life. Maybe the "snowbird" way is the answer... :)

Betty

Post by Betty »

LoriJ I think renting before you buy anywhere is usually a good idea. There are many long term rentals for snow birds that are less expensive than making the commitment to buy a place on the island. Also many month to month furnished rentals.

I knew I wanted to live on St John, build our own home and I knew the exact location so we just made the plunge when we found the perfect lot. I always wanted to live at the end of Rock Ridge Road, technically we do, but do not have access, we access by Gifft Hill. My property runs from last 10 feet of Rock Ridge to Gifft Hill.

I love the location of North Chocolate Hole to Cruz Bay. Living here full time, I felt Coral Bay and East End would be too isolating for me. Closeness to the car barge to get to STT, only gas station on STJ, shopping,clinic, post office, etc. That extra 20 plus minutes to Coral Bay a few times a week would have been a deal breaker. To each his own.
lorijo068

Post by lorijo068 »

Betty, I know exactly where that is - we stayed at Magic View in January... anyway I want to stay in Cruz Bay in a small furnished apt/condo so we wouldnt need a jeep and could walk to store, po, etc...(need exercise - lol) I am with you I know exactly what I want to do its just a matter of doing it...
RickG

Post by RickG »

We're looking at boats in two weeks. That's probably how we'll get to spend more than four weeks a year in the islands. Two weeks at a time on a sailboat seems like a good idea right now. We'll see how we feel after a couple of years of that. We're new converts to sailing and Sweet Christine still likes a boat vacation more than a land vacation. But, when you're the owner you get the fun and the work.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
kklay

Post by kklay »

Rick, our group is really interested in a boat/catamaran trip. For your first trip did you have a captain or did you take care of the sailing, etc.?