Lobster on St. JOhn

Travel discussion for St. John
Agent99

Re: Lobster on St. JOhn

Post by Agent99 »

Oops- double post
Last edited by Agent99 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

I know I am in the minority but I have never been able to warm up to Caribbean lobster. It seems tougher, drier and forgive me, fishier than it's cold North Atlantic cousin. I've tried it a few times- Lime Inn, Waterfront Bistro and most recently Zozo's. All good restaurants. I wanted to love it because I had heard such good things.

Where I live and the North Atlantic species is not only prevalent but big business. The meat has a sweetness to it that I don't taste in the Southern version. Dipped in hot melted butter is beyond. Maybe the water temp makes a difference? I don't know.

My favorite Caribbean dinners are Snapper and Grouper which I don't see much of up here in NE and of course the famous island ribs.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Agent99: I'm with you on this one, and was thinking of posting along those lines before seeing your post. As far as we are concerned, a nice Maine lobster whups its Caribbean cousin hands-down, plus you get the meat in the claws! There is a certain coarseness to the texture of Caribbean lobster, and I agree, we find it tougher/chewier as well. 2013 was marked by an abundance of lobsters in New England, driving the prices way down. I recall our local supermarket offering lobsters cooked to order at the fish counter, for $3.99 a pound! The only downside to local lobsters are the zillions of dang lobster buoys; sailing the Maine coast, one is forever steering around them. Inevitably, there comes that "Oops!" moment when you sail over one, and if the buoy doesn't pop back up behind your stern, putting on a mask and unfouling the prop is a very un-Caribbean-like experience!

All the best,

Kevin
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Just some additional info for anyone else that may read this thread later..We wanted Lobster on our last visit and it wasn't "lobster night" at Morgan's Mango, but we called then and they serve lobster any other night as well. Same price..only difference was you didn't get complimentary glass of wine..The lobster was great as is their ambiance.
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
Allaboutthebeach

Post by Allaboutthebeach »

I had the lobster at Lime Inn on our last visit. The lobster, friendly staff and service were all very good. Make sure you understand that you are getting Caribbean lobster, a little different than what is offered in restaurants on the main land, but equally as good in my opinion.
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

We did, indeed, hit the Lime Inn for my wife's Birthday dinner. Wonderful experience. She had the Lobster and I had the Blue Cheese Stuffed Filet. So of course we shared and each got some surf-and-turf. Service was excellent. Definitely on our list to do again!

Thanks for the recommendation - we've been to STJ 8 times and this was our first Lime Inn visit. Won't be our last.
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

CBINPARADISE wrote:FYI....I paid $51 for 1/2 of a medium sized lobster (+2 sides) at the Lime Inn in November. I thought that was excessive. I did ask what size and when told "medium" I thought it would be the whole lobster.
What does 1/2 a lobster include?? 1 claw and half a tail, or just the tail or only the claws??
I have to agree with Agent99 and Coconuts.. I think we are lobster snobs. To me, nothing compares to fresh New England lobster from the truck, slathered in butter. We ate a lot of it last summer, with prices at 2.99/pound! :shock:
Last trip we saw a man purchasing from someone selling them out of a cooler. It was HUGE! A 10 pounder! I asked the price, and he said it was $100. How does one get that into a pot??
Charlie2001

Post by Charlie2001 »

PaminMaine wrote:
CBINPARADISE wrote:FYI....I paid $51 for 1/2 of a medium sized lobster (+2 sides) at the Lime Inn in November. I thought that was excessive. I did ask what size and when told "medium" I thought it would be the whole lobster.
What does 1/2 a lobster include?? 1 claw and half a tail, or just the tail or only the claws??
I have to agree with Agent99 and Coconuts.. I think we are lobster snobs. To me, nothing compares to fresh New England lobster from the truck, slathered in butter.
Caribbean spiny lobster is not like Maine lobster. There are no claws. When you get half a lobster, you literally get HALF a lobster. Split down the middle from head to tail. You get some of the spiny protrusions on the head, half the head and body, and the half the tail.

Caribbean lobster is tougher than cold water lobster, and has a slightly different taste. It is what it is. I personally love it because it's so unique. I can get Maine lobster at home in the states, but really enjoy the local nature of the indigenous lobster. Same with stewed conch, roti, pates, and any number of other dishes. Those are all foods that I can't get at home, and make up a big part of the Caribbean experience.