Long overdue trip report! 10/28/13 - 11/8/13

Travel discussion for St. John
Bonny in CA

Long overdue trip report! 10/28/13 - 11/8/13

Post by Bonny in CA »

Wow, it's been awhile, but let me start with a paragraph to explain...
After STJ and then the holidays, we went house hunting! We made an offer and it was accepted on the same day. So for the first time in my life, I am moving out of the SF Bay Area, all the way to Hillsboro, OR to be close to our grandson! St. John was a serious contender, but my grandson was pulling on my heart harder. Maybe in 5 -7 years, we can make that move!

Ok trip report!
We arrived on STJ on 10/28, it was a beautiful sunset that night! We got settled in at Plumeria, which was amazing!! The pool was the perfect temperature! It was the first time we've actually used a villa pool! The view from the hot tub is amazing!
2013 was our year to experience monsoon like storms, and it was pretty awesome watching the lightning from the outdoor living area which was my favorite room int he house! We also watched lightning from Aqua Bistro, Chateau Bordeaux and many other places! It rained so much I spurged and filled up the bathtub! Yes, Plumeria has a bath tub! When I first saw it I thought I would never use it. But after a week of rain, I figured that cistern had to be overflowing! We got a lot of use out of the dryer, it kept raining on my clothesline!
We tend to eat out on vacation and with the previously mentioned outdoor living room, we spent very little time actually inside the villa. It was all very nice though. My husband did fall asleep on the couch watching an old movie one day...
We saw Inner Visions play at Skinny Legs on Halloween, and so many crazy costumes! If we ever go on Halloween again, I'm going to dress up!
We tried to hit some places we've missed in the past..
Miss Lucy's Sunday Brunch was delicious and I ate breakfast with a stray cat on my lap! Morgan's Mango apparently had delicious lobster, I wouldn't know, I ordered a cheeseburger and it was awful.
Jake's was our breakfasts place most days! Jake and his sister, Abby sat with us and played games on my phone and ipod. One day it was raining sideways in there! We got soaked eating breakfast!
Beaches! Plumeria has a really great beach umbrella that screws into the sand. Keeps you in the shade, or your stuff out of the rain! New beaches for us in 2013 were Waterlemon (& sea stars!), Francis, Hawksnest & Francis. Although hubby keeps saying we went to Francis in 2012...
Well, we wouldn't want to discover everything in one trip!
We also snorkeled Cinnamon & of course Maho, we had been there for 6 days and I hadn't seen a turtle yet! So off to Maho, and swimming with turtles within half an hour!
Places we missed most: Donkey Diner, listening to hymns on Sunday morning with our breakfast, and Cases by The Sea, the store/bar across the street from Island Blues. Our friend Owen is tired of running the store and is thinking about starting a charter boat business... We missed hanging out with everyone at Cases, but we ate, drank and were merry with them at other establishments instead! :D and if Owen starts that charter boat business, I hope we can be his first passengers!

All in all, another perfect trip to St. John!!
Well, I have used this report to avoid packing long enough, back to work! As soon as we're all moved it's time to start planning our 2014 trip and change my name to Bonny in OR!! Can't wait to get a new ticker!!
Myheart'sinSTJ

Re: Long overdue trip report! 10/28/13 - 11/8/13

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Congratulations on your new home purchase! Great trip report, I believe there were quite a few forumites on STJ that same week when it rained so much. I just returned 2 weeks ago and re-entry into reality gets harder everytime I go down. We are not scheduled to go down again until August, I'm not so sure I can wait that long :? . Good luck with your planning for this year and good luck with your move! :D
Barb Y

Re: Long overdue trip report! 10/28/13 - 11/8/13

Post by Barb Y »

Best of luck with your move! Hope all goes well. Sounds like you made the most of a wet trip. A rainy day on STJ is still better than a rainy day at home. Thanks for sharing!