STT Airport Check-in and Carry-on question

Travel discussion for St. John
michigancouple

STT Airport Check-in and Carry-on question

Post by michigancouple »

We are traveling with only carry-on luggage this year. A first for us. My question is... if we check-in online and print our boarding passes in advance, is it necessary to stop at the first ticket counters at the STT airport? Or do we walk directly to the Customs line and then on to Security? I know how it works in my local airport on our way to STT, but well, you know STT might have a little different rules for departure from their airport. :) If we can skip the front ticket counters, do we have to go up to the counter at the gate and do anything?

Thanks in advance.
~ Nancy
Randy in MD

Re: STT Airport Check-in and Carry-on question

Post by Randy in MD »

You may indeed, skip the airline counter and go directly to customs & security. One note of caution: You'll need a customs form, and there have been several times when those forms weren't available at the customs entrance, and I had to ask someone from the airline ticket counter for a form...
casalafamiglia

Post by casalafamiglia »

I always pick up our customs form when we arrive on St. Thomas for the trip back. I fill it out before we head to the airport on our departure. Remember, only 1 per household needed.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Reiterating the previous poster's comment: GET YOUR CUSTOMS FORM IN ADVANCE (one per family). All you will need to do then is head straight for customs and you can avoid the ticket check-in area altogether.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

You can get your customs form at the customs office on St John just stop by when your in town before 5 pm
Tom
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

Thanks for the airport advice. Yes, I usually stop at the customs office on STJ and very politely ask for a form.
seagrape

Post by seagrape »

They used to have a carry-on-only line past the customs line to go through security. In early January they did NOT. Everyone got in the same line, suitcases or not. :(
lorijo068

Post by lorijo068 »

Where is the customs office on STJ?
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

I "second" the suggestion of a previous reply.

I always grab a customs form upon my ARRIVAL at the STT Airport. I just head "right" to the ticket counter - instead of going "left" straight to the baggage area.

I just walk up to a ticket counter agent and politely ask if I can have a Customs Form, please. Sometimes they will ask what airline I am on. If so, I will tell them the airline that I am flying home on. But, most times, they will just hand me one. As they don't really know that I just came OFF of a plane and not getting ready to board.

In any event, I just find it easier to Grab One on the way IN. But, great to know that we could get one from the Customs Office, if need be.

Also, tip for all. If you don't already know - there are very nice restrooms beyond (to the left) of the airline ticket counters (as you are facing the ticket counter). For many years, my husband & I would just immediately head to the baggage area. I would end up, along with 12 other women, waiting in line for that little ladies room to change into our "island clothes". Ever since I found out about this other "larger - more modern" restroom, I have never gone back!

Happy travels, all!!
RickG

Post by RickG »

We grab a stack of C&I forms and keep them in our suitcase. The folks at the STJ C&I office are always happy to give you some forms.

Here's our strategy for getting through security in less than an hour:
- Carryon only
- Get customs & immigration forms on the way in (we always have spares in our bags) or at the Cruz Bay C&I
- Fill in your C&I forms the night before - you did NOT visit a farm, that is just St. John
- Print boarding passes the night before
- Make certain that no liquids are more than 3.5 oz (including hot sauce)
- Make certain that there are no fruits and vegetables in your bags
- New this year, TSA Precheck

I think the last item, TSA Precheck, is where your carryon only lane went. Sorry.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

ok...here is the BEST way to eliminate longs lines at STT,,,Carry on or Checked Bags.

At the curb, grab a porter(Daphnee is the best) Tip them $20-30 depending on your party and enjoy the 'Fast Pass'

Any questions...?

Dave