Trip report...of sorts

Travel discussion for St. John
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Re: Trip report...of sorts

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Nancy, nope, not so much.

We like walking the beach, but the beaches on STJ are too short for that. We like the beauty of the beaches, but we don't need to spend an entire day there. We know what we like. I know it might not be what others like, but what the heck.

It took us many visits to STJ to get over the guilt of not going to the beaches. Marsh and I used to start each day with the question: "villa day or beach?" Invariably, we would opt for the beach because we felt we should. So, we'd pack up the coolers, schlep the chairs, etc...we'd get to the beach, plop down and look at each other..."now what?" "Wanna go back to the villa?" "sure." Now we just eliminate that exercise.

We also don't care for snorkeling. Go figure.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
54b

Post by 54b »

Pete (Mr. Marcia) wrote:...We hung out by the pool together, listened to music, played flip cup, charades, catch phrase, chess, tossed a football, laughed, teased...
Love this because it always amazes me (and makes me a little sad) how some of the best things to do on STJ are activities you could easily do at home but never seem to get around to because well, life gets in the way.

On our last trip, we played some word game called Bananagrams or something like that nearly every night at the villa and had the best time just laughing and carrying on. We swore we'd play it again for sure when we got home. That was over seven months ago and we've yet to play again.

Part of the magic of STJ and vacationing in general are the little things that we do to pass the quality time. Probably also helps that watching TV is about the last thing we ever want to do on STJ :D
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
nancyr84

Post by nancyr84 »

I'm a snorkeling nut and my husband tried to like it to please me. He just couldn't get comfortable. Now he watches me and it all works out. One thing we both love is those gorgeous views and the peace you feel on the island. We are all very lucky to be able to experience this.
pepperfan

Post by pepperfan »

I was happy to read this. Hubby and I are going on our first trip to STJ in May and I know he is going just to make me happy. We are almost (501/2) 60 yrs old and I have been wanting to go to STJ for the last 6 yrs. He does not swim and actually has a fear of the water so he will man the beach while I snorkel and float. And then to make him just a little more miserable his knee needs to be replaced. He will have to wait until we return from our trip to have surgery. We didn't know about the knee until after I booked the house and I failed to purchase travelers insurance within the time frame required to cancel. This vacation will cost us more than any of the other ones (MX & Aruba) so I'm praying that it's going to be a good one. By the way we live 40 min from the NC Outer Banks and we hardly ever go to the beach there. Strange.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Thanks for making the effort to write your trip up. Despite good intentions to write trip reports, I just don't feel like I have anything new to add these days. What I got fro your TR was, home is where the family is. Thanks for the reminder, I appreciate it.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Thanks for taking the time to post your report. I am with you 100% on Christopher/Dohm's and Daphne. Smoothing the way makes a huge difference for us in terms of stress level. (Maybe I am getting old and lazy!)
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I am glad that a lot of you "get it" with our family and the trip report that explains our way of having fun as a family unit. You must understand, our kids are scattered all over the country (and sometimes out of the country on study abroad opportunities) so getting all six of us together in one place in and of itself is quite a feat. Holidays here end up jumbled with their needing to see their other families and friends, etc. We've recently traveled together after the Christmas holidays to Mexico, all inclusive resorts. The problem there is that we're still scattered in different hotel rooms and sharing pool space with hundreds of other guests.

A villa, in St. John, with beautiful views, a private pool, hot tub (which is amazing during brief rain showers) that we share together, as our own little unit, is priceless to us. We had so many laughs with goofy things like having the kids take a turn on playing their playlist while we hung out by the pool (there was a fantastic sound system that you could hook your ipod to and speakers throughout the deck areas). Pete then using Sam's sound cancelling headphones when the music that was being played started to give him a headache. There was dancing (nothing we'd do in public, that's for sure), three of us "girls" sharing two floaties in the pool and crying with laughter, Pete and Hannah playing with the nerf football and Hannah, who didn't want to swim that day, falling in the pool. All of the games we played at night after dinner which Pete has already mentioned...

We cannot do these things at home. We don't get everyone together for a full 10 days without interruption. I just doesn't happen.

Not sure when we'll be back but we know what we like and when we can make it happen, everyone walks away with happy memories.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Nice report Pete - thanks for sharing.
BEACH: yes, the singular was intentional. We went to one beach, once, for about 20 minutes.

LOL. Midwesterners - ya gotta luv em.
But I get that - the Jersey in me feels the same way about lakes. :D
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
IA Joe

Post by IA Joe »

Our first trip to St. John was only because my wife wanted to go someplace "warm, with green or blue water". I would have preferred to go north, to Alaska. If you would have told me that I could sit on a beach all day and do absolutely nothing, I would have told you you were crazy. Then we went to Trunk Bay one day at 9:00 am and basically just sat until 6:00 pm (other than getting in the water a few times to cool off and 1 trip to the snack bar for lunch.) The only reason we left was that we felt like we should go get some supper. Now I love the beach.

As far as snorkeling, I love it and my wife does not. She is content to sit on the beach or on the boat while I snorkel. I suppose there are a lot of couples like that, where one snorkels and the other patiently accommodates.

Joe
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

IA Joe wrote:
As far as snorkeling, I love it and my wife does not. She is content to sit on the beach or on the boat while I snorkel. I suppose there are a lot of couples like that, where one snorkels and the other patiently accommodates.

Joe
Yep, we have one on our group. The husband has tried snorkeling enough times that he doesn't want to do it again. He is perfectly happy to man the cooler while his wife goes out with us.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I believe this "1 beach" trip report falls under the "to each his own" category.
You shouldn't have to worry about explaining your vacation and duck for fear of criticism. Sounds like you had a great time with your family and made wonderful memories. Nothing beats that!
We almost never eat out on St. John, maybe once per trip. So, I feel like I'm in a similar boat. I'm happy others enjoy the restaurants, but I'm just as happy doing my thing as long as I'm on St. John.
Thanks for sharing your trip report :)
Tickerless :(
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Beach or no beach sounds like it was perfect for what you all wanted. Glad you had such great family time!
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Enjoyed the report, Pete. We have a similar St. John trip coming up with our 3 adult children. I totally understand how valuable that time together can be.

You inspired me to give in to my daughters' urges to have a little more pool time at the villa.
---Jim
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

We know what we like too, Pete and Marcia! And we like you!! And your kids!!! So glad we got to get together! Still wish our kids would have stayed with our plan for their marriages- hehe!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

EagleRayLover wrote:Still wish our kids would have stayed with our plan for their marriages- hehe!!
May not be too late, only one is spoken for on our end. ;)
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.