Bee in my bonnet

Travel discussion for St. John
Lindy

Re: Bee in my bonnet

Post by Lindy »

Damn, I already have a Florida trip booked for that week otherwise I'd be SO tempted to join you!! I could NEVER convince my spouse to try a budget trip....his idea of roughing it is the Marriott. Personally I'd sleep in a cardboard box if it meant another week in my happy place. Hey - how did your caramels turn out??
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I get what you're saying, BigCheese. I know these people really well. Despite my passion for STJ, I wouldn't insert myself into someone's vacation :lol:
And STJ may be too wild/primitive for them, but I know how and where to find whatever they're looking for, on their day on STJ. They are huge ocean lovers, making many trips each year to East coast beaches. They may or may not like the relative isolation of STJ beaches. We'll see!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I'd love to have company, Lindy! Too bad! My friend Toni also has something else going on too close to this trip to come with me. As I plan, I'm finding other benefits to doing this alone, though -
1. I've always wondered how cheaply we could do a trip to STJ, because you never know when super-cheap will be your only option. I prefer to test out the situation without Blaine, so I'm not worried about his comfort or discomfort. I'm tough. I can find fun in any situation.
2. I'm at the stage in life where most of my "adventures" have been had. I'm stiff and sore and not in the best shape of my life :shock: . It'll be cool to know I still have some life in me, and I can still do something unexpected LOL!
3. Late winter is always a bummer for me because Blaine goes away for a work trip that I can't accompany him on. By this time of year, I'm desperate for some sun, and this would give me an annual option to get myself out of Western NY as well.
Feeling hopeful! I finally talked with Blaine about it and he says go for it, but he wants me to rent a Jeep for the whole trip.

P.S. Lindy, the caramels were GREAT! Our crowd isn't particularly into candies, but Blaine and I are still enjoying them!
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

I'm glad you liked them. My crowd isn't into candy particularly either but anyone who tasted them always went back for more. It's also the bomb to dip pretzel rods into the hot caramel and them roll them in nuts or coconut, crushed up toffee, etc and then drizzle with white or dark chocolate.

You'll have to do a trip report so the rest of us in your age group can live vicariously through your adventure!! I still feel like I can do it too, but I might wind up floundering like a turtle on it's back when it came time to get up from sleeping on the ground. I'd have to pack a winch for the mornings to give my arthritic knees a boost or you'd have to clear a trail to the water for me so that I could crawl out there and get upright in the water. Hahahahahaha!!!
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Hi Minde-

I went solo last January to STJ, I did not camp but had a great time, I did everything I would normally do but go over to the east side, Budget overbooked their jeeps and I got stuck with a car and almost got stuck on the switchback after Trunk heading to Maho. That was the only time I wish I had someone with me and I decided to stick to the closer North shore beaches. I second what EagleRayLover said about St. John guest suites, at least you should inquire about the cost. Good luck with your planning! :D
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

I think it's great you want to show them STJ. There are so many things to see and explore. But don't underestimate STT. We've stayed on STT 4 times. 3 of them were at Sapphire. It is awesome waking up in the morning and being at the beach already. No cars and bags to pack. Bathroom readily available all day. Wonderful snorkeling and a really nice pool area. For a quiet beach they could go to Smith Bay park just a short ride down the road. For a really fun day complete with all the amenities they should go to Magens Bay. I personally like it better than Trunk. And please remind them of the safari bus. They can get all around for $1-$2 each.
BocaSue

Post by BocaSue »

First time I went to St John, I was on a cruise ship, ferried over and took a cab to Trunk Bay. That was all I needed. If St John is in your soul…you get the St John feeling whereever you go. :D
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Lindy wrote: I'd have to pack a winch for the mornings to give my arthritic knees a boost or you'd have to clear a trail to the water for me so that I could crawl out there and get upright in the water. Hahahahahaha!!!
BWAHAHAHAAHAA!!!! :lol: Yes, I'm afraid I may need a winch!!!

And folks, I'm not bashing STT in any way. I'd stay on STT, but we fell in love with STJ first. STT is just not the island that Beth and I have spent countless hours talking about, or poring over pictures of. And those stories and pics are what has made her want to go so badly. We are good enough friends that if they're perfectly content on the beach at Sapphire, they'll feel fine with saying they don't feel like hopping a ferry to come over to STJ. And I'll be fine with that, too. Heck, I'll be fine with anything - I'll be on STJ!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Oh, and Byado, I did check Inn at Tamarind Court, and they do have a single room available, and it's only $82/night all in. Thanks for reminding me of them! I haven't made my mind up yet.
At least I wouldn't need a winch to get up in the morning :lol:
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

mind you...I'm always somewhat reticent about showing Newbies to St John...they end up cursing me forever...as in Thanks a lot for raising the bar to future vacation locales....LOL

After STJ...FLA pales in comparison ...IMHO...or not so IMHO...LOL
byado18

Post by byado18 »

Never stayed at Tamarind but always keep it in mind..just in case! I am not a camper so it would be my low cost option!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I found accomodations I could afford, and I. am. booked! :D
kklay

Post by kklay »

Minde, perhaps you already mentioned this, I am curious, do your friends already know you are going to be on island to show them around or are you going to surprise them?

Either way, have a great trip!
loverotties

Post by loverotties »

Just curious Minde where did you end up booking ?
Wrinkles Only Go Where The Smiles Have Been !
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

[quote="kklay"]Minde, perhaps you already mentioned this, I am curious, do your friends already know you are going to be on island to show them around or are you going to surprise them? quote]

Oh that'd be a BIG surprise!!! No, they know - they invited me to stay with them, but it's an anniversary trip in a one bedroom condo so..... (We're not THAT kinda close) :lol: