TORTOLA

Travel discussion for St. John
hotrod270

TORTOLA

Post by hotrod270 »

Has anyone been on a day trip to Tortola?.
AquaGirl

Re: TORTOLA

Post by AquaGirl »

We've stayed on Tortola twice, but never taken a day trip to it from STJ. Do you have questions about the island, or looking for a day charter to go there?
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Been to Tortola for the day many times --- take the 1st ferry, it will likely go to West End - there are a few car rental places there - get a map and travel around the island - make sure you know when the last ferry is leaving though, the roads are really steep and curvaceous, but lots to see.
I go for different reasons, rarely as just a tourist trip but think Tortola is worth exploring, very different than the USVI and if you are looking at the island as a possible vacation destination - a day well spent!
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Definitely a great island - been there many times (but not recently!), lots of day trips - good beaches, some different interesting places to eat. And I think a different vibe that the US islands. If you are thinking about it I say go for it.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
RJ in Wisconsin

Post by RJ in Wisconsin »

It is worth it. There are some beautiful botanic gardens in Road Town. Also, if you can rent a vehicle & just drive any which way the roads lead, you'll see some stunning vistas.
My dream is to live on St. John & vacation in Wisconsin(only in Summertime)!
hotrod270

Post by hotrod270 »

We are thinking about shopping and walking around downtown, having lunch. What is there to do downtown that we need to go to.?
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Downtown Roadtown has many financial buildings specializing in maintaining offshore accounts -- you could always stop in and set up a Corporation for future use.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Two things we enjoyed in Roadtown were the botanical garden and walking along the old Main Street. The botanical garden is small, and a nice tropical oasis in the middle of the busy city. The old Main Street has very old wooden buildings - some are examples of "old" Caribbean architecture. We enjoyed a shop that had hand carved animal and sealife figurines along there - I can't recall the name. We had great roti at a place above the shops (but unfortunately its closed now). There are probably other local places to eat in that area. Main street is described here: http://www.b-v-i.com/RoadTown/shops.htm
If you have time, you may want to have a taxi take you on a drive around the island. Its a mountainous island with beautiful beaches and scenic vistas.
RickG

Post by RickG »

I'd probably skip Road Town, not a picturesque place. But, the Riteway Grocery there has good ready made sandwiches.

I prefer the ferry to West End, rent a car from Jerry's, Smugglers Cove Beach, Sage Mountain, Callwood Distillery in Cane Garden Bay, Brewers Bay Beach and Nicole's Beach Bar and then back on the ferry.

The only things that Tortola has over St. John is size and elevation.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Exit Zero wrote:Downtown Roadtown has many financial buildings specializing in maintaining offshore accounts -- you could always stop in and set up a Corporation for future use.
I this still common practice? I thought that was regulated away finally -
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Financial Services is by far the biggest industry and economic engine of the BVI.

read this : http://www.bviifc.gov.vg/FinancialSecto ... fault.aspx

Over 500,000 new corporate domociles in the last 10 years.
scoob

Post by scoob »

Tortola in for a day is a nice trip.
Rent a Jeep or whatever funky ride that is available and head up Jacob's Ladder .
That's over the hill/mountain to Apple Bay.
My favorite beach to bar hop and sun bathe is Cane Garden Bay.
Many bars/shacks/restaurants in the sea grape trees, all with an incredible beach and North shore view.
Just like on St. John the good beaches are on the North shore
Better half and I stayed at Long Bay Beach for our 20th.
And the best rum I ever tasted was at Sebastions,they make it and bottle themselves.They give your a tall shot of it as an aperitif (fancy word for after dinner drink)and it was incredible-too good to mix with anything.
All in all worth the trip..
And get a Painkillers at Pussers when you get off the ferry..
Scoob