Our annual Virgin Island Trip Report - 2013

Travel discussion for St. John
Bob & Sharon

Our annual Virgin Island Trip Report - 2013

Post by Bob & Sharon »

We returned from a three-week escape to the Virgin Islands on Dec 18th. The trip started with two weeks on Virgin Gorda where we rented a house near Spring Bay for 10 days then 5 days at Little Dix Bay. We enjoyed snorkeling all over the island and eating at Hog Heaven and Chez Bamboo. We finished up with a week at Caneel Bay on St John, which is summer camp for adults done right. The best restaurant on St John is La Tapa in Cruz bay.

The trip was marvelous, as always. The water was clear even with daily rain. We photographed and identified 215 fish and other wildlife this year. We saw three Lionfish on St John, but also more grouper family and eel. Perhaps they are benefitting from the new invader. The trip’s log, photographs and some videos can be found in a folder behind our website at the link:

http://www.doppstein.com/VG&SJ2013/

Hope you enjoy them!
Bob & Sharon
DonnaM

Re: Our annual Virgin Island Trip Report - 2013

Post by DonnaM »

The TR link is coming up as the first 2 pages from 2012.
Your photos are gorgeous! So many fish we haven't seen before. Thanks for sharing.
Bob & Sharon

Post by Bob & Sharon »

Thanks! I forgot to change the header in the page which was borrowed from last year's report. Is now fixed. Glad you liked the pics.
ellena

Post by ellena »

Nice pics! We met you on the boat back to St Thomas from Caneel. You took our pic for us. Recognize some of the folks we met at Caneel. Best, Ellen
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Thank you for taking the time for a awesome report. I always look forward to seeing your detailed report. We have only did day trip to baths. I hope someday to include Virgin Gorda. How do you get there? Do you fly into St Thomas and take ferry?

I still have not gotten skilled at spotting Octopus gardens. I will try harder when we are in St john in a couple weeks.

Your pictures are amazing!
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Fantastic report and photos----thanks so much! I enjoyed the photo of Eric Clapton on his boat.
---Jim
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Nice photos as always!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

GREAT pictures!! I was glad to see the names of some of the fish we see each year!
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Wow! Absolutely love your pics! Thanks for identifying the fish, it is a great help. I hope to see an octopus on our next visit. Thanks for sharing!
ImEricka

Post by ImEricka »

Great trip report! It had the perfect mix of great information and beautiful pictures. Thank you!