Astral Ridge/Calabash Boom Hill

Travel discussion for St. John
Bluestreak12

Astral Ridge/Calabash Boom Hill

Post by Bluestreak12 »

We were pretty much set to book Skyflower for our upcoming vacation in July, but decided we wanted a pool as we really enjoyed it at One Particular Harbor. We booked Astral Ridge villa up Calabash Boom and from what I read, the road is very bumpy and steep. Enough so that others have said a couple of years ago that they wouldn't book up there again.

Does anyone know if it has been improved over the last two years? Of course we will have a jeep and I really enjoy driving on St. John's paved roads. Our schedule usually has us going back to the villa maybe two or three times per day.

Also, if anyone has any input on Astral Ridge it would be appreciated!
mindehankins

Re: Astral Ridge/Calabash Boom Hill

Post by mindehankins »

We just stayed near the top of Calabash Boom, at Sun, Moon and Stars (lovely!), and didn't think the road was any big deal. It is bumpy. Blaine was freaked out when we drove up there to see the place, in April, but neither of us was ever nervous about the drive, in November.
It's a bit far from what we enjoy on St. John, to consider staying there if we needed to return home 2-3 times/day. If you're talking about heading out in the morning, home for late afternoon, then out to dinner, that'd be fine.
I'd say the road is really bumpy, but not scary (and I'm a scaredicat!)
BeachGirl

Post by BeachGirl »

We stayed at Astral Ridge in June. The first time we drove the road, it was a little nerve-wracking, but after that we were fine with it. A little bumpy and steep in some places, but you figure it out after the first time. Absolutely loved Astral Ridge!!!
Armchair Traveler

Post by Armchair Traveler »

We stayed at Astral Ridge 4 years ago and are going back in January that is how much we loved it there! The views are amazing and the second you park and walk out on to their open patio you will forget any of the bumps you experienced on the way up. Calabash boom is my favorite area to stay because of the views and the privacy and the drive is a small price to pay!
Bluestreak12

Post by Bluestreak12 »

Thank you all for the replies. I don't mind the bumps so much as my wife. She tends to get a little car sick once in a while. Nice to hear the good reviews on Astral Ridge. Hopefully the bugs and heat during July will be bearable. :)
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

I am not a big baby when it comes to nasty drives.... but... we drove it to visit friends in January who were there at the same time as us. I would agree that the views are stunning... however, after driving it just one time, I would not want to STAY up there. I would be afraid to do the drive after dark. In fact, our friends always made sure they left to get back up there before dark. I guess I wouldn't want to be limited to that.
The views make it tempting though for sure.

Sorry.... I just don't want you to be too shocked.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Bluestreak,

Has your wife ever tried the motion sickness bands that you can buy at most drug stores next to the Dramamine ? It only takes a minute to put them on ( they look like hair ties). I have used them for 30 years and it is sooo much better than drugs with their lasting effects. I have even used them snorkeling because sometimes the waves get me. The roads on STJ certainly get to me.
Bluestreak12

Post by Bluestreak12 »

Cocosmom:

That is an excellent idea. We already have them from past cruises. I'll remind her to through them in this time.

Thanks,
Steve
Bluestreak12

Post by Bluestreak12 »

MNFUN2BME,

Thanks for your candor. I'm glad to hear the issues that you experienced and maybe we'll grill more than we planned. I love the looks of Astral Ridge so we probably won't mind staying around the villa more. We have a hot tub this time around, so we were planning on using it in the evening anyway.

Might have to buy a few more bottles of rum though. We usually don't drink when eating out, but hanging around the villa is a different story. :wink:
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Sounds like you have it all planned out!! The views from up there are totally stunning, no doubt. :)
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

My daughter gets pretty car sick, and I think she might have needed a band or meclizine, for the trip up Calabash Boom. From a fearful perspective, though, I think you get used to it really quickly.
On our scouting trip up to Sun, Moon, and Stars, I had to stop the Jeep 1/2 way up so Blaine could catch his breath. He's afraid of heights and was totally panicked. We reassured ourselves that on arrival to stay there, that we could just follow the (awesome) greeter's Jeep up the hill. We ended up doing it alone on arrival, in the dark about 8pm, and with Blaine driving and just keeping his eyes on the road, it was no problem. I anticipated having to drive up and down the hill for him, but he was just fine. It's just a dirt road with some VERY bumpy spots - so, so worth it for the endless view!
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

We stayed at SMS at the top of the road last summer and I agree with Mindy that the road is no big deal! The views and the breeze (early August and HOTT) were absolutely amazing!! I would stay there again!! We didn't return to the villa some days because the drive is a bit farther. A couple of days after snorkeling the North Shore beaches we just drove to Cruz Bay to eat and then returned to the house. Some nights though we did come back, rest and clean up, and then head to dinner. I can get a little motion sickness (don't like cruising) but didn't have an issue. Total peacefulness!
Bluestreak12

Post by Bluestreak12 »

Thanks for the response. We will be there the third week of July and hope it's not too hot since our villa doesn't have air conditioning. We at least have a pool to jump in to cool off. I found a video on youtube that shows the drive up and it doesn't seem too bad. We'll definitely have 4 wheel drive. I hope we don't forget anything though and have to go back up to get it. I love having a vacation booked when it is so miserable here in the winter. Helps me deal with all the snow! 8)
tothectothec

Post by tothectothec »

take a ride up Calabash Boom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZA-CzuCX6w
tothectothec

Post by tothectothec »