At Coconuts on island PART III

Travel discussion for St. John
mnfun2bme

At Coconuts on island PART III

Post by mnfun2bme »

PART I: http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgi ... rA-HfRDvmM

PART II: http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgi ... rA-QvRDvmM

Coconuts On Island – Part III
What trip to St. John is not complete without a double rainbow? The answer: ZERO.
This is how our day started out today:

The game plan was to stop in town and grab one more snorkel set, head back to Maho to help my mom get a bit more comfortable in the water before heading to a “deeper” beach…. But, those plans changed. The locals are talking about how much rain they have had…. And even for a person like me who only gets down here once or twice/year, I can certainly tell how green things are around here. I have never seen St. John so lush. We made it up to Annaberg and my family found it all very interesting. Annaberg is my favorite place on the island. It was there that I really fell in love with St. John.
Here’s an example of how lush the hillsides are! Look at all this green:

After Annaberg complete with sugar cane samples, coconut samples and talking a bit with a NPS volunteer, it was time to head to Maho… oh boy, did it start pouring! I wanted to go down and take a look at Francis first …. Although I have been to Francis in the past and do recall a rough ride getting there. All of this rain makes the journey back to Francis look like nothing short of a drive to Little Lameshur. Not kidding…. The HUGE potholes are deep and plentiful. It was okay with me. It was time to use all the Nintendo 64 skills I have built up over the years. I pulled out my Mario Cart hat and we did it anyway! After all, what’s a trip to St John without quite a bit of excitement like that?

We ended up dropping off the young ones at Maho, running my parents back to the villa so they did not have to sit in the rain while we snorkeled. Mom felt it would be more fun to snorkel in the sun (which only decided to shine in Cruz Bay today and nowhere near the North Shore.)

When we got back to Maho, they were still in the water amazed with all the turtles. They had snorkeled the whole left side of Maho all the way out to the point. They are really exploring. It’s fun for this mom to see the joy!

It just kept on raining so after we snorkeled for an hour or so, we headed back to the villa. Of course, we stopped at Jumbie and Hawksnest just so they could say they’ve been there! Those are not my favorite beaches to snorkel so we likely won’t get back there.

As I’ve mentioned, my daughter proudly wears her “birding hat” wherever she goes. Here are a few pics from today:

The day was a bit of a jumble as I dug everywhere for my underwater camera battery but it is NO WHERE to be found. I could only find one on St. Thomas.  Because my daughter loves photography and with her new love of snorkeling, a dead battery in the underwater camera was a bit of a bummer for the kids. Leslie to the rescue! She arrives back on island Tuesday and is letting us borrow one so our Captain John – Palm Tree Charters boat ride for tomorrow will have coverage! We are thankful… in so many ways!

Oh, last night we had dinner at Driftwood Daves. I can't recall if this place was in the BURGER competition from MNBHOY last summer or not... if not, add it to the list! Two others had the ribs and loved them as well! PS... Dave is a great guy. It's so nice when the owners come and thank you for coming in. He went out of his way more than once to come over and talk to us and thank us for the business. I LOVE PEOPLE LIKE THAT!! Food was awesome! Great experience! Easy to find in the LUMBERYARD AREA just off the main street. Water views!

Time to get rolling again today! We were planning Honeymoon/Solomon but I see with 4 ships in STT (including one of the giants)…. I think we will run further away than that. Time for a wind check.
Thanks everyone!
michigancouple

Re: At Coconuts on island PART III

Post by michigancouple »

I love the hummingbird pictures! It looks like you're having a great time. It's awesome that your mom is enjoying the snorkeling. I would have loved to teach my mom how to snorkle. I can tell the newlyweds are enjoying also. Do you use Picasa (from google)? Once you get home you can put the pictures in Picasa and then simply click the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button. It will eliminate the green cast from the underwater pics. There is also a choice in picasa to edit the colors. I use that tool and there is a button where you can select a neutral color. Use that tool and click an area of the photo that is white, like the sand on the ocean floor. I find this really clears up a photo also.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation. Don't you find that it makes the high price of taking a vacation like this worth every penny? Oh, the wonderul memories!

~ Nancy
smilesfromMN

Post by smilesfromMN »

Thanks again for the daily report!
How have the bugs been? How are they when you're on the deck in the evening?
A dusting of snow here in MN last night - roads are a sloppy mess. Enjoy your warm Tuesday! :D
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Honestly as far as bugs are concerned.... I would think they would be much more than they are. Either the wind is keeping them at bay or we're just lucky on the deck.
Thanks to everyone following.... this is seriously an amazing time to spend with my mom. :)
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

mnfun2bme wrote: Thanks to everyone following....
we are following because they are great reports :D
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Loving the pics! Can't wait to see more!! Had a blast with all three generations last night!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Leslie... it was so awesome to meet your two generations! Katie said, "Mom, those are the type of guys I would have been great friends with in college." Great job raising the boys, Leslie & Steve! Thanks for coming up the hill. :)
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Let's hang out tomorrow!!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Hi Leslie - We're doing Salt Pond tomorrow.
I'd really like to head to Ram's Head (something I have never done) as well as cut over to Drunk Bay. I think it's appropriate for us to build a little statue on the memorable trip!
I'd love to do Lameshur, Little Lameshur and everything.... but I know time will not allow for that! So much to do with so little time.
We thought we'd stop for something in Coral Bay after a day of snorkeling.

I promised Cheryl I'd drop something off for Buster that we brought down. I have not met them.... but would love to let them know how much we appreciate their sunrise pictures each day!

Any chance you guys want to head over there? Tomorrow the gang has off, right?