Where to go on a day charter

Travel discussion for St. John
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Where to go on a day charter

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Hello everyone! We have booked a charter with Captain John Brandi (Palm Tree Charters) for our upcoming trip with our four kids. Our kids range in age from 18 to 23. No one likes to snorkel but we all want to see fun stuff and swim off of the boat in deep water (with noodles/life jackets). We are not into the whole scene of the Willy T so...

Ideas to give to Captain John about what would be fun? What have you done that you would recommend that makes sense for us? I suggested seeing the Indians, Sandy Spit, and of course ending up at Soggy Dollar but...other ideas?

Thanks!!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
PA Girl

Re: Where to go on a day charter

Post by PA Girl »

In February, we went out with Capt John. We hit Pirates at Norman Island first, then to Cooper Island for lunch and finished at Sandy Cay.

Pirates was neat to see. It burned to the ground but they are rebuilding it and I think it is to be open soon.

I thought lunch at Cooper was really good.

Sandy Cay has a trail that goes around the island and the views off the back side are pretty spectacular.

We probably could have condensed the day a little to hit White Bay but we were ok skipping it that trip.
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

We are going out with Capt John next week and I was just putting together a list of places we might want to hit. My boys are 6.5 and 3.5 but I would like to try and get them in the water and snorkeling. And if not snorkeling, at least find a calm place for them to jump in.

Perhaps consider some of the harder to reach (by land anyway) parts of St. John too. And if you and your group want to do a bit of shopping/walking around, I remember being pleasantly surprised with Sopers Hole when I was there on our Honeymoon. I'm guessing you can clear customs there at the same time to kill two birds with one stone.

I hope the weather cooperates for Sandy Spit. And hopefully its not too crowded. We are going out Christmas Eve so either it will be packed or empty....or something in between :lol:
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

The Willy T is pretty tame during the day. Their lunch is very good so you may want to reconsider that. I've brought my teenaged boys there a few times myself.

Pirates is a must. It's very laid-back and the scenery is just stunning.

I also vote for Cooper. It's a nice place to stop for a drink or two. There's also a small gift shop there.

Given their ages, they probably would enjoy Soggy Dollar too. They can even tell their friends to look for them on the webcam.

-Jenn
Jenn, News of St. John
News of St. John

crasherino wrote:We are going out with Capt John next week and I was just putting together a list of places we might want to hit. My boys are 6.5 and 3.5 but I would like to try and get them in the water and snorkeling. And if not snorkeling, at least find a calm place for them to jump in.

Perhaps consider some of the harder to reach (by land anyway) parts of St. John too. And if you and your group want to do a bit of shopping/walking around, I remember being pleasantly surprised with Sopers Hole when I was there on our Honeymoon. I'm guessing you can clear customs there at the same time to kill two birds with one stone.

I hope the weather cooperates for Sandy Spit. And hopefully its not too crowded. We are going out Christmas Eve so either it will be packed or empty....or something in between :lol:
Pirate's would be a good place for your children. It is very calm there. Sandy Spit may not be the best idea. You would all have to jump off the boat and swim to shore. I did it earlier this year and it there were pretty good waves, and the water was pretty deep.
Jenn, News of St. John
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

News of St. John wrote:
crasherino wrote:We are going out with Capt John next week and I was just putting together a list of places we might want to hit. My boys are 6.5 and 3.5 but I would like to try and get them in the water and snorkeling. And if not snorkeling, at least find a calm place for them to jump in.

Pirate's would be a good place for your children. It is very calm there. Sandy Spit may not be the best idea. You would all have to jump off the boat and swim to shore. I did it earlier this year and it there were pretty good waves, and the water was pretty deep.
Thanks for the advice....is Pirates back up and running? They had a fire there, right?

And how's the Willy T. for little ones? Would I be infringing on others having a good, adult time?
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I agree that the Willy T is pretty tame. It wasn't years ago but the past few years we have been there, I was the wildest one there! There are almost always kids there.

We have always had a wonderful meal and the Palm Tree Charters Jump team is always looking for new members.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

The Indians for snorkeling. I also really like Lovongo Cay.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
News of St. John

If you are there in the afternoon and sitting at the tables eating lunch, then no, not at all. The people who are there to have a good time are typically on the other side at the bar.

Yes, Pirate's is back open. They have a temporary structure up for now. It's to the left of the dock, whereas the restaurant that burned was to the right if you're looking at the beach from the water.
Jenn, News of St. John