on island at Coconuts - arrival day

Travel discussion for St. John
mnfun2bme

on island at Coconuts - arrival day

Post by mnfun2bme »

While reading my reports, it helps to keep the following in mind. This Trip consisted of 3 generations of couples. The newlyweds, the parents and the grandparents. I am the only one who has stayed on St. John before.

Saturday started at at 2am. Trying to get 6 people out the door to St. John is very, very different than trying to get myself out the door. The taxi arrived and even after a frightening drive to the airport in the new snow, all went well.

but there is nothing more priceless than hearing your 74 year old mother say on the ferry over, "Wally (her husband).... just look at those colors.... I've never seen anything like it!"

While I sit here typing and my skin soaks up the humidity it has been lacking for the past 2 months, I am feeling so blessed. This is as spiritual as it gets for me.... the beauty that surrounds me and my family here to share it makes me feel completely peaceful.

Flight out of MSP at 5:25 - on time, into Atlanta and had to change gates as far as you can in Atlanta and with my 78 year old father, the 40 minutes to do so proved not an easy task.... but, we got into the plane and they closed the door. Whewwww...... We were fortunate to make that connection - albeit our luggage did not. We arrived in St. Thomas before 2pm…. Awesome! I love getting there so early in the day… it makes that early morning flight totally worth it! We rented from Amalie Car Rental and drove ourselves to ST. John.... that seemed to make more sense given there were 6 of us. However, I didn't quite expect the large tag of $961 for 8 days car rental, but we needed a 7 passenger vehicle and it was nice pulling out of the parking lot with 7 miles on the odometer! Yes, just 7 !!

Our luggage arrived in St. John on the ferry at 6pm. Although we had a great deal of frozen meat, it was all still frozen solid! Thanks to Kevin and Danielle at Coconuts, we had a nice stick of sausage, some wonderful cheese and crackers and salsa and chips to hold us over after a long flight. What a very special treat! Thank you again!! What a great surprise!

We toasted the honeymooners with a Joel Gott 2011 Red Zin (one of my absolute favorites - compliments of Kevin and Danielle of Coconuts) --- how did you know?

Thanks to a tip from the forum, we thawed a few steaks had some potatoes, and our first dinner on the deck was born. After a long day of travel, we opted to stay home from the Prom and bed was all we could muster! We went to bed on Saturday night, tired and thrilled to be here. Wondering what the days ahead would bring. I'll post a few pics from the evening at Coconuts on Gift Hill. LOVE THESE VIEWS!!

PS.... Please know that my daughter LOVES birds so there will likely be many bird pictures throughout this report.

The Happy Honeymooners:

byado18

Re: on island at Coconuts - arrival day

Post by byado18 »

Welcome to the island! We've been having a great time and know you will too! It's rained everyday at least a bit...mostly around noon and sunset...totally beats the snow back home!
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Byado18.... you are so right! Sure as heck beats the snow in Minneapolis!
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Glad u made it safely! What a view! It was smart to eat in first night! Good way to get in island mode!

Love the honeymooners smiles! I think they get it!

What memories u are making!
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

The need to clarify. Kevin clarified for me that the snacks and beer that were left here for us were from a dear friend of mine who had them delivered.
The wine was from the owners (Kevin and Danielle).

Love to my dear friend for making our greeting even more special!!
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Love that Coconuts view...I have pinky swore with Kevin I promise not to 'Booty' call Coconuts Villa number I still have saved on my cell....LOL. Enjoy!

Dave
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Dave.... we've been expecting your call. *grin*
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Be careful for what you wish for...Thirsty Thursdays are notorious for my Calls....LOL.

Snowy and cold here in Mich...heat wave of 30 this Friday. Enjoy that Million Dollar view...I'm sure Kevin has more into that place by now...