Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
lprof

Re: Where IS everybody???

Post by lprof »

Anthony wrote:
StJohnRon wrote:Prodigy
No one knows what that is :)
Indeed, I do not!
StJohnRon wrote: Also, how many of us are still here from the AOL forum? And how many from the Prodigy forum? That's like back with the dinosaurs. It took three hours to read a sentence.
Ron
Both were way before my time! And I thought that I was an old-timer! :? :wink:
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Where is that "show your face" thread? This would be a good time to resurrect it. And, the "what does your forum name mean?" thread.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

PointPeeps wrote:Well said BigCheeze!....Or we'll written! :) Half the fun of travel is the anticipation and planning. This forum definitely helps the excitement build for this newbie. The Rock has been on our bucket list for quite some time. Now as our first trip quickly approaches I have real fear.....real fear of how to control our soon to be addiction!
Thank you to all for your insight and keeping the chat and excitement alive! :)
Twenty-some days and counting......
Thanks and welcome to the obsession...I dare say the planning and anticipation could be even greater than 50%...especially if one adds the amount of Planning time vs. Actual Vacation Time. We start booking our Frequent Flyer miles at midnight at the magic 330 days out to get the lowest 'price'.

We have a joke in our family that I started...When we get to the Villa the 1st time and look at St Thomas in the distance with the sailboats bobbing in the Windex Blue water...I will announce to all in a wistful way..." Well, vacations almost over". In a way...it's really too close to the truth than I like to admit. The 10 Months of anticipation are reduced to the actual 9 days of trying to satisfy what I've imagined in my mind. Fortunately...The Rock never disappoints. 8)
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Ron,
Still here after coming over from the AOL board. Many of us still keep in touch. Gerie and Kurt both came over from STT to STJ to have dinner this past summer. Mr. Westin (Joe) is coming back to STJ in a couple of weeks after a long hiatus. I don't post to often on the forum but I read it at least once a day. I miss Ronnie not posting here often, the last time I saw him was when I stayed at the Crystal Palace. Still "talk" to Knolmom and saw her and DeeDee last year in my town for a book signing by Maryanne. I don't think we are a clique but rather people who enjoy each others company and all that we have in common. Lots of us are on FB too, but I still like this forum
.I do know what Prodigy was!!I love meeting up with you and Ruth when I visit.
It's funny but so many of the old AOL people were actually STT people. We all still keep in touch and try to meet during the summer.
Through this forum I've also gotten to know some wonderful people over the last two summers and we too get together on STJ.
Thank you Anthony for providing us with this avenue to friendships.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote:Where is that "show your face" thread? This would be a good time to resurrect it. And, the "what does your forum name mean?" thread.
Haha so its YOU who prompted those bumps!
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
cat

Post by cat »

I have to admit it has been quite some time since I have been on here. I have been here since the old AOL days and come back infrequently. Most of the people I have met on here are my Facebook friends now and there are only so many computer hours in the day for me. I do come back but mostly lurking only. If I see a post I have to reply to I do but that is very rare!

In June my hubby and I will be taking our first sailing trip with RickG and Notanlines(Christine)! Looking forward to the adventure!
augie

Post by augie »

StJohnRon wrote:I'm still here and I couldn't agree with Bigcheeze more. This would be a great time for oldies and newbies to make this forum fun again. Let's hear from some lurkers!
Also, how many of us are still here from the AOL forum? And how many from the Prodigy forum? That's like back with the dinosaurs. It took three hours to read a sentence.

Ron
Hey! - it still takes me three hours to read a sentence sometimes. Even longer if I don't mouth the words while I'm reading...
Come see us!
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Can't wait to be there. Half my walls at home have pics of St. John.
_____
Things I have in common with a raccoon: dark circles under my eyes, stay up all night, eat junk.....you know the rest!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

What no one has brought up was how lively the off-topic forum used to be. A couple of the lurkers have commented how they do not feel part of the group i.e. referring to the old AOL forum camaraderie. The off-topic forum used to be the hidden gem. It was a lively place for like-minded people i.e. if you’re partial to St. John you have a lot of character traits to your fellow forum members. These use to be a lively book discussion, meal preparation discussion, non-St. John related travel tips and trip reports and most importantly the official cocktail thread. I discovered the off-topic forum about a year after joining the group and to be quite frank that’s what keeps me coming back daily. So if you haven’t checked out the off-topic forum it makes great evening read with a drink in hand on these cold winter nights while you dreaming about returning to St. John.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

shoemak38 wrote: A couple of the lurkers have commented how they do not feel part of the group i.e. referring to the old AOL forum camaraderie.
Hey now, I don't consider myself a lurker after several hundred posts...
But, shoemak38's post combined with Liamsaunt's comment about a "forum brawl" may bring to light the heart of the question "where is everybody?" Did such a brawl occur in the off topic forum, and what caused it
(inquiring minds want to know)? Could it have led to less forumites, less posts, and kept the forum more topic specific and forced others to seek refuge on Facebook where you have the option to block someone or not friend them? And surely it would make it harder for newcomers to mix without the camaraderie available in the off topic forum. Just a thought.
Tickerless :(
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

I've been here pretty much since the beginning and can't recall the "forum brawl of 2008." It might be because there used to be a bunch of brawls back then and they all have blended together.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Coden

Post by Coden »

I'm still here. I admit to not visiting in a long while - posting or reading. Life got in the way. Hopefully I'll be here more often.

I did mean to post a Trip Report about our Halloween visit to STJ...but we only went for 1 week and it was time to leave before I could get anything down on paper. Suffice it to say, we had a splendid time, got to hang with some awesome Forum Peeps - both from on-island and off island, ate well, drank even better, and can't wait to go back!!

Happy Holidays!!
Coden