If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes...

Travel discussion for St. John
needmesomesun

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes...

Post by needmesomesun »

Edited: To say that this isn't meant to trash national park employees at all (as thought on another forum). The whole situation is surreal and really upsetting. When I think of all the hours my husband worked so we could take this vacation (AND pay for our private health insurance), to have something like this happen, it makes me sick.

There are plenty of things I have seen here that are ridiculous, usually in a fun *island time* kind of way, but this tops them all.

Anaberg

IMG_0077 by locococonuts, on Flickr

Francis

IMG_0078 by locococonuts, on Flickr

Maho, lot was open (not sure if it was never roped off or if the caution tape "disappeared"),

but OH NO, you CAN'T sit at the park picnic tables:

IMG_0081 by locococonuts, on Flickr

At Hawksnest, people took matters into their own hands:

IMG_0085 by locococonuts, on Flickr

At Trunk, they were more gracious:

IMG_0084 by locococonuts, on Flickr

Cinnamon:

IMG_0083 by locococonuts, on Flickr

Oh, IT GOT REAL in our car, verbally, when I saw the brand new saw horses that were built with our tax dollars.

The signs:

IMG_0079 by locococonuts, on Flickr

We didn't know a few trash cans and a mosquito infested chemical toilet were technically considered "facilities" but hey, we all love this place for a reason. The beaches.
"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."
~ Karen von Blixen
Bonny in CA

Re: If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes...

Post by Bonny in CA »

They certainly did find a way to "ugly up" the island! This is horrible!
I feel so bad for everyone who is on island right now. I know how you must feel, looking forward to it all year and then have this happen. Our trip is coming soon and I really hope that all signs of this "closure" are gone by then.
Mrs. B

Post by Mrs. B »

Wow this is certainly a disappointing sight - especially if you are vacationing there right now. It sure makes you hate politicians even more! I was already fuming at the fact that they are still getting paid to mess things up! :x I have my fingers crossed that they will get their heads out of their @$$ and resolve this issue this week!
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

How horrible for you. Are people parking and going in anyway at Hawknest and Maho? I would be tempted to do the dinghy thing and visit them all that way.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Michigan Girls - no dinghies (or boats) allowed in National Park waters - many do not realize the National Park is not just land

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Bonny in CA

Post by Bonny in CA »

Even before this happened we had planned on renting a dinghy to get to some of the beaches we've never seen. We still plan to.
From what I read, boats can pass through park waters, just can't stop...
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

CHeck out this article for up to date information on the park closure. I just returned to island after a 6 month absence. I planned a beach day for this week. Should have gone last week. Lessen Learned. Never delay a beach day.
http://newsofstjohn.com/2013/10/01/gove ... n-effects/
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Pia wrote:Michigan Girls - no dinghies (or boats) allowed in National Park waters - many do not realize the National Park is not just land

Pia
I guess I thought the "all beaches are public from the water" thing would cover it - that sucks.

I could understand it if the NP had a strong presence on the beaches before - but I personally have only seen a ranger on the beach one time. I fail to see how anyone is in any more danger now than they were before. It seems very wasteful to me to spend the now even more limited resources of the NP keeping people out.

My heart breaks for the people on island right now. It's great that Vie's is open though. Have some garlic chicken and make the best of it.
Chicken

Post by Chicken »

Aren't the rangers on furlough? Who is going to enforce the closure?
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

46 have been furloughed. How many were there to start with?

Kevin
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

I am going on about my vaca as usual. If and when i am asked to leave a beach i will respectfully comply... Had no issues on tues. Did the rams head hike and later hung at Jumbie. Politics be damned... This is my week :)

And for what it's worth i saw more dinghies than
Ever before. They seemed to be Having a blast.
jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

It's disheartening to see all the corruption and laws being sidestepped in the VI lately but this they enforce. Should be the other way around! Knock Ingrao's monstrosity down, plant new trees, and let the vacationers use the freakin beaches! Have them sign a waiver or something eliminating the VI park service from all liability. Do the right thing.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

800,000 people, including my BIL will not get a paycheck this week, I'm just saying...perspective folks.
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

You can thank the 80 Tea Party affiliated Representatives in the House for this. House Speaker Boehner has the votes to pass a budget extension, but is too afraid of wrath of those 80 people to do so. Remember this when you hit the voting booth...
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

They are all to blame , both sides vote them all out.
Tom