One night in STT

Travel discussion for St. John
BillVT

One night in STT

Post by BillVT »

We were looking through our STJ pictures and came across this photo. We thought it might be of interest. It is a picture of my wife and our friend heading down to the Charlotte Amalie ferry to start our two week vacation on the rock.

Question: why are all island destinations called "The Rock" now? I live on an island in the middle of Lake Champlain accessed by causeway and even some of my neighbors have begun calling it the rock. I thought it was just Alcatraz that was called the rock. Anyway, moving on.

The ladies are leaving the Crystal Palace. We think it is the ideal stop if you are a day early getting to "The Rock." Ronnie Lockhart is the proprietor and he will pick you up at the airport. Then the next day you get up, have breakfast and walk down to the 11AM in town ferry. No long cab rides or fares. It's a deal, Ronnie is a hoot and the view from the front porch is a great way to start a vacation.

And since we mentioned it, here is the view from the front porch. Plus it gives you an idea of how far you'll have to walk to the ferry. It looks worse than it is.

Last edited by BillVT on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChipN

Re: One night in STT

Post by ChipN »

Nice pics. On a side note, I always thought Alcatraz was the original "The Rock".
visitstj

Post by visitstj »

"the Rock" reference may be due to Kenny Chesney's newest project "Life On A Rock". All the songs have some tie to St. John and/or USVI.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

Your right about the Alcatraz reference. I'm not sure were San Quentin came from. Maybe it is all California to the New Englander in me. But we've been calling STT and STJ the Rock long before Kenny's CD was released. Perhaps it is that sense of isolation one would get on their way out to the middle of San Francisco Bay and Alcatraz. Whatever, I live on a Rock and vacation on a Rock. You might say I'm rockin' out. No don't. I'm sorry.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Way back when AM Radio ruled the airwaves in the Caribbean - Radio Antilles in Montserrat was listened to everywhere throughout the region - it unified all the islands pre satellite and internet in a very unique way- along the way the DJ's nicknamed all the islands and St. Thomas was 'Rock City', St. John 'Love City', St. Croix 'Twin City' ,Tortola 'Sugar City' and many more I am struggling to remember - [long before KC was singing - contemporaneous with Alcatraz but probably not related] - the music variety and commentary allowed many artists to reach an audience well beyond the shores of their own island and Calypso dominated, with Souk, Soca, Reggae, Merengue, and other local styles all represented - many nights sailing between the islands and listening to Radio Antilles - The Voice of the Caribbean made me feel that this is indeed the life -- the boat, the wind, the sea, the stars, the music and dropping anchor with a new island on the bow in the morning.

An interesting look at Radio Antilles:
http://www.valpo.edu/vpr/liebermanode.html
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

Thank you. Great reply.
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

Nice photos! We have been calling St Thomas the Rock for some years. Affectionately call Rock City by some. We are one big rock. Every hillside road you drive on you see rock. Try to build and as you dig you hit rock. We are the Rock!!
Exit, I thought they referred to Tortola as Chocolate City?
RL 8)
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Tortola was called 'Chocolate City' for true - I was really digging back into some old memory banks -- trying to recall things from years past.
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

I can follow. chocolate is candy, candy is sugar, hence Sugar City. lol
RL 8)