Spending night on St Trauma

Travel discussion for St. John
Sumerwaters

Spending night on St Trauma

Post by Sumerwaters »

AA changed my arrival time. My plan lands at 1035 pm. I don't know if i feel confident I could make the last ferry to STJ. If you had to spend one night on St Thomas what about windward? Can I walk from Windward to the downtown ferry dock with my luggage?
Xislandgirl

Re: Spending night on St Trauma

Post by Xislandgirl »

I would stay at Crystal Palace. The owner is a great guy!
toni

Post by toni »

That's too bad about your flight change; hate when those things happen.

We stayed at windward passage years ago and I know we walked to the ferry dock with luggage. Probably depends on how much luggage you have. :?

We have stayed at crystal palace too but that's not walkable i don't think.

I personally think STT gets a bad rap, we enjoy what it has to offer and will be staying two nights there prior to our bvi trip in December. Everybody has different likes :)
scoob

Post by scoob »

Ok,
STT isn't that bad,just have to be careful.
Just like on St.John you need to watch where you go..
Please don't bash STT. doesn't look good here...

Scoob
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

You may not get as many helpful answers from people who are familiar with St Thomas when you use a demeaning slur like that in the header.
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

When we have a later flight we have always stayed at the Galleon B&B. It's a little ramshackle, but feels safe and friendly. It's way up on the bluff overlooking the downtown ferry dock. The major downside is that you have to drag your luggage up 80 or 100 quaint stone stairs. But that's probably also why it feels safe - it's too much trouble getting up there to attract street loiterers. The cheap rooms are minimalist, but the premium rooms ($125) have a private bath, an air conditioner, and a tiny private balcony with harbor view. Nothing fancy, but everything we needed.

There's a very pretty little pool surrounded by island stonework - very private and a great place to float and watch the sunset. The nightly rate includes a cooked-to-order breakfast on the balcony with a fantastic view of the harbor. We've always found a nice restaurant in town for our first dinner - most recently at Tavern on the Waterfront. A/C, live jazz, good food, creative frozen drinks (try the Harbor Wave). It seems to be the place the locals come when they want to get dressed up and get together for a special celebration: perfectly respectable and only moderately expensive. I'd definitely eat there again.

So don't be afraid of a night on STT - it can be fun.
Connie

Post by Connie »

I second the Crystal Palace. Ask for Ronnie. You can get a cab to the ferry dock.

I'm sorry to hear you call STT that. We will be going back for our 9th trip very soon and we love it.
Last edited by Connie on Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

I have also spent a night @ The Crystal Palace and thought Ronnie was a great host.

I don't want to bash you for the negative labeling of one of my beloved USVI's but ... I love them all for different reasons and have less than 4 weeks until I am there!!! :D
Fisheye

Post by Fisheye »

Btw, I probably wouldn't choose the hotel location based on downtown ferry.
Even when scheduled, it may not run!
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

St Trauma is a word the wonderful folk in STJ like to call us. First time I heard a visitor refer to it that way. Thanks for the referrals to those that have. The downtown ferry is always hit and miss and I don't know why the powers to be allow it to continue. They have an obligation to provide the service to STJ sketchy as it is. I usually look out in the morning to see if it has arrived and, if not, I drop my guests to the RH ferry or make arrangements if I can't. I do offer pick up at the airport however only if I can drop I do. More times than not.
RL 8)
Cecile

Post by Cecile »

Hi Summerwaters,

you wrote :
AA changed my arrival time. My plan lands at 1035 pm.
Better blame it on AA. :cry:

Still have fun on STJ..... :)
Regards
Cécile :)
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

AA is famous for pulling this bait and switch. You pay top dollar for a direct flight then they switch you to an inconvenient layover when it is too late to get a flight on another airline. However, it is worth checking other carriers to see if you can get a better flight. If so you can go up the chain of command at AA until they agree to give you a refund. They will fight you at first but if you dig in you can win.
Connie

Post by Connie »

There ya go....Ronnie at his best. Good guy, highly recommended and helpful.

Hope to see you in November Ronnie.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

I'll be spending one night on STT at the Galleon House. The new owner is a former co worker of mine. Really looking forward to a day and a night on STT. I have never spent much time there in the past.