What's up with rental cars to non Americans?

Travel discussion for St. John
Maggy

What's up with rental cars to non Americans?

Post by Maggy »

Hi!

As some of you know, we're from Sweden and my husband and I are planning to visit St John in April. I'm looking for rental cars and find that you now need to have a temporar permit if you hold a non US drivers licence. Not only does it cost another $20, it also seems like you need to pick that up in another place than the rental agency and only on Mon-Fri? Last time we were on STJ there was no such thing.

So, does that mean that since we are arriving on a Saturday, can't rent a car when we arrive and get to the grocery store and the villa? I'm not going to write what I'm thinking here, but if we can't fix that, I'm not so sure that we will go.

BVI used to have like that back in 2005 (only 10$ that was added to the rental car bill) but they skipped that since. To me this sounds like a way to get more money from foreign tourists :( . You don't feel that welcome, when you have spent a lot of time and money just to get there.

Anyone who know how this works?

Thanks/Karin
Kevino

Re: What's up with rental cars to non Americans?

Post by Kevino »

The Westin resort has many non-american guests. Most guests use O'Connor Car Rental located at the resort. I would call or e-mail them for more info.

info@oconnorcarrental.com
340-776-6343 office
340-779-4440 Fax

I can't imagine thinking about not coming! Find out more details and pack your bags. :)
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Ok, maybe I didn't mean that :D , but I hope there is a possibility to rent a car on a Saturday. Just curious if anyone know anything about this?
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Kevino wrote:The Westin resort has many non-american guests. Most guests use O'Connor Car Rental located at the resort. I would call or e-mail them for more info.

info@oconnorcarrental.com
340-776-6343 office
340-779-4440 Fax

I can't imagine thinking about not coming! Find out more details and pack your bags. :)
It says on O'connors website that all foreigners need to obtain a temporary for $25.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

I don't know anything about this foolishness but Karin if you need to get groceries etc- I have a car we
Can use to set you up!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

EagleRayLover wrote:I don't know anything about this foolishness but Karin if you need to get groceries etc- I have a car we
Can use to set you up!!
Thanks :). So nice of you. But we have to be able to drive to our villa in Ajax peak and also driving to a beach on Sunday, so this need to be fixed somehow. We must be able to rent our car on Saturday.

We have one (or two) US people with us, but we were not planning for either of them to drive. They are STJ newbies. But maybe we can let one of them rent the car and pay for one additional driver (if that helps, not sure).

I have sent an email to O'Connor after suggestion from Kevino.
Eric on St John

Post by Eric on St John »

The VI Govt has been enforcing an old law requiring anyone with a non-US driver's license to purchase a Temporary Driver's Permit for the last year or so. While they are available for purchase directly from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles M-F 8 am - 4 pm, most rental car agencies purchase them to have on hand and resell them to their renters who will need one since would obviously it would be a huge pia for the renter. If your rental agency is not doing this for some reason and you want/need to stick with them, you can probably just get one from the agency nearest to them. Or stop by and we'll sell you one http://www.stjohnjeeps.com If the VIPD stops you for some reason and you have a foreign license and no permit, we've been told that the rental vehicle will be towed. My impression is that this is more of an issue in STT where foreign licenses are more common but its not really worth the risk/hassle/worry for $20-$25.
Eric on St John
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Thank you so much for your explanation. I guessed it was something like that. I have got an answer from a rental agency that they sell it there. No problem. But I'm very disappointed that we have to pay an extra $25 for nothing. Maybe they don't want too many foreign visitors.
Eric on St John

Post by Eric on St John »

nope, just usually broke and always looking for a new way to bring in some income.
Eric on St John
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Exactly my point. Very discriminating :evil: and it's only valid for 30 days, so you can't even use it again, even if you visit twice a year.

How come btw, it cost $20 or $25 depending on agency? You would think it has a set price and not a flexible one.

Appreciate your replies Eric on St John.
Cecile

Post by Cecile »

Hi,
sorry to post this in the St Johns Forum. :( We are from germany and will stay on St Thomas in November. :) Since our german driverslicence has alway to have an international on Top , I am asking you , is this going to work in St Thomas ? Or do we have to have an americandriverslicens person who rents the car for us ?
Thanks a lot for answerring my special question.
Regards
Cécile :)
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

I don't think it's any problem renting a car. You just have to pay the $20-25 extra for the permit, because you don't have a US licence. Like Eric wrote, just a way to bring in money from some tourists :evil: .

I don't think a regular International drivers licence will help. My impression is that this is a special type of permit.
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Try Zip Car Rental in St Thomas, ask for Lisa[/b], she is owner. I knew them when I lived on island, they are great.
Her number: 340-715-1501. Not sure if they allow cars to go to St John.
Also, I have uncounted this requirement on several islands, especially EU ones, as I was an American. Also in several Asian countries.
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

equineannie wrote: Also, I have uncounted this requirement on several islands, especially EU ones, as I was an American. Also in several Asian countries.
I don't think that's nice either. Only place this happened to us was the BVI's until 2005 and Rarotonga in the Cook islands. And both these countries charged everyone. But it wasn't that much, maybe $10. I think $25 is high for nothing, had it been $5-10 I wouldn't be annoyed.

Anyway, I have now "bitten in the sour apple" as we say here in Sweden and made a reservation :D . This is the last time I will be annoyed about this. I'm moving on, haha. And I can't wait to visit in April.
But wait...I'm going in November too :) .
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I'm Going to Ireland in April I have to take the insurance on the car as they won't take my international plan that is another 300.00 for the week.
Tom