Cell Phone Service

Travel discussion for St. John
jdjcmaso

Cell Phone Service

Post by jdjcmaso »

Hi. As my trip date gets closer, I'm wondering if there are any improvements to cell service. I have an iphone with Verizon as my carrier. Staying at the Westin. What is my fate?
Joe
iheartsj

Re: Cell Phone Service

Post by iheartsj »

Sorry to hear you have Verizon. Verizon does not have a presence on the island and thus they charge roaming on all calls. However, you can text without roaming charges applying.

Cell phone reception is spotty at best. I don't believe the Westin has good cell service.

The towers are under-powered and drop calls regularly, especially during tourist season when the usage increases.
sherban

Post by sherban »

My wife has Verizon and her coverage on island was bad. I have AT&T and my coverage was good.

We also used WiFi to connect...
jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

Verizon charges $1.99/minute for all calls but it's really not needed especially if you have an unlimited text/data plan. Instead of calling use text, and use wifi whenever you go online. Will cost you nothing. Also with apps like Google Hangouts and I"m sure Iphone has a instant messaging service of their own, there is no need to call anyone unless it's an emergency. And in that case, who cares about the $2!
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

A note about cell reception on the north shore and east end of island---

If you get a signal, be sure to check that it is not coming from the BVI's. Any calls you receive or you make using a signal from the BVI be charged as an International call.

I have ATT and whenever this happened to me, I would call ATT when I got my bill to explain that I was in the UNITED STATES Virgin Islands and not the British VI. They would delete the charges but it was always a hassle. Some folks at ATT didn't understand that the USVI is part of the United States of America.!

Better yet, call your cell phone provider before the trip and ask them to turn off international roaming.
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Joe,

You would be better off to buy an ATT go phone. I don't understand Verizon because my sister was afraid to use hers even with hooking into wifi. I thought that if you were hooked into a wifi set up you could call with no extra charges. When I was in the BVI earlier this year and hooked into wifi, even at Cooper Island I had no extra charges on my iphone with ATT. This past August a couple of times when I was at Hawksnest I saw the Lime signal from the BVI. Turned off the phone and when I turned it on again ATT kicked in.
Hope you have a wonderful trip, too bad we are not on island at the same time. Are you staying at the Westin? Bringing those adorable twins or just you and Doreen?
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

We have an AT&T Go Phone and have never had trouble calling on the island- we have never tried to call the U. S. mainland.
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

I suggest you call Verizon and ask about your options while in the USVI.

The information you receive may not be consistent (or even in-sync with Verizon policy), but it's important to be on record at Verizon that you called seeking information before your trip. If you need to negotiate a refund, it helps your case if Verizon can see in your record that you sought info before you used your phone there.

That said, our understanding (after several calls to Verizon) was that we could use our Verizon phones without incurring charges unless we made/received voice calls or sent/received picture texts. We have an unlimited data plan.

Although we avoided voice calls and picture texts, we eventually incurred charges. But when we called Verizon and referred to the advice we had been given, these charges were removed from our bill.

TM

PS: I agree completely with those who recommend buying an AT&T Go Phone before you leave home (selection is limited on STJ). You can load it with as many minutes as you think you'll need, and then easily add more time if you need more.
jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

That said, our understanding (after several calls to Verizon) was that we could use our Verizon phones without incurring charges unless we made/received voice calls or sent/received picture texts. We have an unlimited data plan.

We were on the island in late July and were told that all calls no matter the plan are $1.99/minute which was consistent with our friend's bill who actually tested the plan. He timed each call he made back to the states and it was right on. My wife and I never called back to the states or on the island, have an unlimited text/data plan and our bill was the same it always is. We sent picture texts and wasn't charged either. Crazy how inconsistent the information is that each Verizon rep gives you!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Our best service has been with our ATT Go phone but I forgot to renew the minutes so we relied on our Verizon phones the past two trips.

As others said, service was pretty poor but good enough for the calls we had to make.

With our plan, we can add global service (I don't know if that is the correct term) for $30 a month, which eliminates the $1.99 minute cost. Because my husband needs to call into work, it is worth it for us. I don't know if this option is available for consumer plans or not but it might be worth considering if you are someone that wants to call home without worrying about crazy BVI roaming charges.
jdjcmaso

Post by jdjcmaso »

Thank you all for the helpful advice.
Marie, it will only be Doreen & me this trip. To bring along my 3 year old twin grandsons(whom I see almost daily), would NOT be a vacation :) Love them to death but they are a workout!! Yes we are staying at the Westin. I wanted to stay at Lavender Hill, as we did last trip, but the Westin won out.
Joe
pear8head

Post by pear8head »

I have a Verizon phone and my solution is to go to the grocery store (Starfish Market) and buy a phone card for $5 that gives you a ton of minutes for those phone calls you must make to the mainland. Of course, you must use it with a land-line. I call my elderly parents, to check on them every other day or so and have not used the entire card in two weeks! If your villa has wi-fi, as most do these days, you can always use that for texting.