The road down past the Denis Bay monstrosity

Travel discussion for St. John
Wolfhound

Re: The road down past the Denis Bay monstrosity

Post by Wolfhound »

mizarumonkey--thanks, the only properities that had structures were this one and Sago Palms. Thanks for the complete rundown.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Wish I had seen the previous post before my adventure today! The road is just as described in a previous post! There
Is More paved area than I expected but what isn't
Paved is like the Road to Lameshur- maybe 10-20%worse I did however
Come around a curve and here comes a big work truck that was not going to budge an inch to his left so it was a tight fits she just stared at me. I went all the way to the house - yuck! It's even uglier up
Close. I saw where the dirt road started going downward but quite frankly the trick scared the hell out of me and I thought if something g were to happen,no one knew where I was, so I trekked back up!
My letter to the National parks gentleman was written immediately after I got home. The whole Thing make Me Sad and sick to
My Stomach.
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Please please please be sure that your words are not wasted here on each other.
We all need to be vocal about this. The NPS, newspaper editorials, social media, etc
If you are truly outraged, please let other people, outside of the forum, know about it!
Pia

Post by Pia »

Please CALL the DC number and start to complain - a forum member has done so (they will probably post their details here) but they had no knowledge of this. I am calling today

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Is there a source with the name listed on the tax records and/or building permit and the property address? I will call but having some experience with this type of issue, I have found any missing information is an "excuse" for the person to put the complaint to the side.
casalafamiglia

Post by casalafamiglia »

Hi All,
Last week, I phoned the DC office that Pia graciously shared with us and the gal who was under the main guy had no idea what happened. I then told her the website to look at with the article and picture as well as the Daily News Article. Well, she was in shock of course. I then explained about the drug trafficking and bribery arrests and that neighbors had been complaining for years to officials with no help. I explained that someone from that DC office needs to come down to island to oversee this issue and to make sure it doesn't happen again and to make sure the builder fixes anything he destroyed. I was told to contact the Park's Department on island, I told her that someone needs to review the department on island since this should have been dealt with years or months ago. Maybe they didn't hear of the complaints but they should have. Our parks' office certainly should be allowed to review plans and visit sites if builders butt up against it. More people need to call to have them come down to island and crack the whip if needed.
lprof

Post by lprof »

PA Girl wrote:Is there a source with the name listed on the tax records and/or building permit and the property address? I will call but having some experience with this type of issue, I have found any missing information is an "excuse" for the person to put the complaint to the side.
This is one of his properties in the area of question... I am not sure if it is where the big house is.
Screen Shot 2013-08-06 at 1.37.13 PM.png
... no longer a stranger to paradise
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

Hey guys, I just posted some pics and a quick video. You can see what everything looks like up close...

Here's the link: http://bit.ly/159pF8l
Jenn, News of St. John
golfdesign

Post by golfdesign »

It used to look like a beautiful tropical jungle where those photos were taken. They had the money to buy a magnificent site in paradise but were too stupid to appreciate and preserve it.

I know authorities are looking here and elsewhere to see what the public interest and attitude is. I wish every new thread had a link to the previous ones.
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

Thanks for posting pics, couldn't get video to work (prob just me!) however pics showed enough, especially having driven that road many times.

And Iprof, please tell me I'm reading that tax info wrong, annual taxes of $1,345.00? It does say 2a and thought building was on 2b. Regardless, does not seem like a large amount of taxes for such a property.
And I only question because I don't know, I own a sliver of property with a modest ranch near the ct shore, no water views and my taxes far exceed that!!
Captain John

Post by Captain John »

What I really get a laugh from is, how can the national park service see all of you drinking your beverages from glass bottles and not see this!
Captain John

"I live the life I love and I love the life I live"
News of St. John

Rebubula wrote:Thanks for posting pics, couldn't get video to work (prob just me!) however pics showed enough, especially having driven that road many times.
I just fixed the video. Please check it out now.
Jenn, News of St. John
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Jenn: Great story and photos! Remarkable how an NPS road can have a sign forbidding hikers from walking along it. That mechanical room built into the Park land is a doozey, and should in a just world be ordered to be removed. In your photo of the retaining wall, is that what was once the old through road, tapering to an end up against the wall?

All the best,

Kevin
News of St. John

Thank you and yes, the road goes behind his house, then curves around in front of the former Sago Palms and then in front of his house. The road then turns again (u-turn) once you get to the retaining wall. From the wall, it is completely impassable. That is where I saw the majority of the damage.
Jenn, News of St. John
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

This may be a very silly question - but - who is the person(s) in charge of administering and monitoring such large building projects? I'm trying to understand why this situation is so out of control AFTER much of the construction has already taken place.
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!