Trip report: 17 more days in paradise, part three

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

Trip report: 17 more days in paradise, part three

Post by liamsaunt »

Day 10 July 13

Spent the morning relaxing at Maho:

Met up briefly with forumite Eagle Ray Lover for some conversation on the beach, which was nice. After she left we spent some time in the water.

Handstands were performed:

The snorkeling was pretty fine:

Had lunch at Miss Lucy’s. View:

Conch fritters:

Grouper reuben:

The goats were roaming around and jumping on tables. Caili did her best to get this goat off a chair:

Goat says: Me Hungry!

When we would not feed it, the goat went to the table next to us and got up on that chair. Here Caili advises the goat that drinking a painkiller is a really bad idea:

Sorry goat, no crunch fish sandwich for you:

Went to Trunk in the afternoon for snorkeling and swimming. Hawksbill turtle:

Day 11 July 14

Today was an all beach day. We packed a lunch and went to Cinnamon Bay. We set up on the farthest possible spot as you are looking at the water. It’s around a rock outcropping and a little like being on your own private beach.

This little cove is just around the rocks

Snorkeled around the cay and had a few interesting sightings. Tarpon:

Mostly we just floated in the water and enjoyed the day.

Back to Kalorama for a sunset from the pool

We went to dinner at Cruz Bay Prime at the request of the kids. We had eaten here a couple of years ago and they really liked it. I am not a huge fan, mostly because I don’t care for the space, it is hot and sound echoes around. It’s also very expensive and a little boring. I understand it has since closed, not sure if that is for off season or permanently. The kids really did enjoy their meals, declaring their steaks to be the “best ever.”

Day 12 July 15

We started the day by setting up base camp at Maho. Then John, Sean, Liam and I drove over to Annaberg to do the Leinster drift snorkel.

Coral gardens:

Stoplight parrotfish

Flamingo tounge

Abundant purple fans

Pillar coral

We came back to Maho and did a whole lot of nothing. Sandwiches from Deli Grotto, floating in the water, etc. etc.

Back to Kalorama for a pretty sunset

Sunset afterglow

Here is this evening’s villa cocktail for the happy hour tower. Mint-lime vodka thing:

Day 13 July 16

Sean and Liam wanted to try a new-to-them snorkel spot, so John and I decided to take them to Haulover North. The conditions there were too challenging for Caili, but she and my sister were content to beachcomb.

Haulover North

A bit of a tricky entry

It was really choppy so I didn’t stay in long. Usually this is a very nice snorkel.

Coral:

Went to lunch at Shipwreck Landing again.

Blueberry vodka lemonade:

Special of grilled wahoo:

Blueberry crumble:

Driving out of Coral Bay we saw this curious sight:

We decided to spend the rest of the afternoon at Gibney. We got one spot at the beach, and I parked my jeep at Hawksnest and snorkeled over to join the group.

We had planned to stop in town for fish from the Fish Trap market but we stayed at the beach too late and the market was closed. So dinner was just an improvised pasta with whatever bits I could find in the fridge.

Really nice sunset tonight:

Ended the night with stargazing and cocktails in the Happy Hour Tower. This was a cucumber-cilantro-jalepeno margarita:

It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
cocosmom

Re: Trip report: 17 more days in paradise, part three

Post by cocosmom »

Great report, even better pics as usual! Thinking I need to cut some mint and make the mint lime vodka thingy!
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Wow... I always love your reports. The perfect blend of pictures and descriptions of your day.
I'm not sure I would say "perfect blend" in relation to your last drink posted : cucumber/cilantro/jalapeno margarita? OH MY. Where do you come up with these drinks?
Thanks for your wonderful trip reports! I love them and refer back to them often. Thanks for the reminder of parking at Hawksnest and swimming next door to Gibney... seems I always forget that.

Also, that was a curious sighting near Coral Bay. Nothing wrong with that sight!!
jmq

Post by jmq »

Great stuff as usual - thanks.

Yay Happy Hour Tower!

For some reason I really like this shot...it has a real from the hip/you are there kind of vibe

When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
adsjayhawk

Post by adsjayhawk »

Great report as always! I always enjoy your pics! One question, I've done a lot of snorkeling on St John, but I've never heard of the "Leinster Drift" :shock: , care to share any details? 8) :)
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Is it wrong that I want one of those cocktails right now at 8:17am?
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

wow!! beautiful pics!! i haven't posted in a while. we stayed at Roundhouse at haulover south last winter and rarely left the area. thanks for the trip report.
Rhonda

Post by Rhonda »

Did you have any Sahara dust while you were on STJ? We were there the first part of June & had a lot of hazy days but looks like you had blue sky. Enjoying your trip report & pics!
Cecile

Post by Cecile »

WOW , thanks for sharing !!!! It sure looks beautiful there ...canot wait to see it life!!!!!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

cocosmom wrote:Great report, even better pics as usual! Thinking I need to cut some mint and make the mint lime vodka thingy!
You should! It is really easy. Just blend one cup vodka with one lime (the whole thing) a big handful of mint, 4-5 sugar cubes and lots of ice. Top with sparkling water and serve over more ice. Easy and yummy!
mnfun2bme wrote:I'm not sure I would say "perfect blend" in relation to your last drink posted : cucumber/cilantro/jalapeno margarita? OH MY. Where do you come up with these drinks?
Hahaha! That flavor profile is actually pretty popular right now. I started off with a recipe from the most recent food and wine magazine, and then morphed it to our taste (less sweet, and more spice). I don't like sweet things like rum punch etc.
jmq wrote:For some reason I really like this shot...it has a real from the hip/you are there kind of vibe ]
Thanks! My favorite pictures are always the ones with people in them. I don't tend to post too many here because I figure people are not that interested in what we look like. Although I enjoy looking at other people's photos of themselves, so maybe my logic is wrong.
adsjayhawk wrote:One question, I've done a lot of snorkeling on St John, but I've never heard of the "Leinster Drift" :shock: , care to share any details? 8) :)
That's what I call the snorkel at the boat moorings on the path out to Waterlemon Cay. I don't know what the official name for this spot is called. You just drift over the reef, letting the current pull you along. It's always a good snorkel.
Rhonda wrote:Did you have any Sahara dust while you were on STJ? We were there the first part of June & had a lot of hazy days but looks like you had blue sky. Enjoying your trip report & pics!
Some days were hazy. I didn't take many above-water pictures on those days.

And a couple of querstions from the second installment that I have not answered yet:

MadcityMom, most of the beach and underwater pictures as well as the Coral Bay food photos were taken with a Canon D20. The Cruz Bay food pictures, Caneel Bay shots, night photos, and the villa pictures were taken with my Canon D60. I brought a Nikon coolpix for underwater as well but it didn't get used very much for some reason.

Susan NJ, I am not familiar with the hogfish in the Florida Keys. I am guessing they are related somehow but not sure of any details.

I will try to have the final installment up soon.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

I am obsessed with conch fritters, and those from Miss Lucy's look DIVINE! I hope it will still be open when we arrive so we can try them!

I ADORE spicy drinks! I'm definitely trying the last one! YUMMMMMY! :D :D :D

Tarpon scare me because of their size. :| I need to get over that. So many people love them, and they are pretty cool creatures.

The Leinster drift is a MUST-DO this trip!!!

Thanks, as always, for sharing. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I LOVE YOUR TRIP REPORTS!!!!!!
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We are really enjoying your trip reports and pictures. The first picture of Maho with the many shades of blue was an excellent sight for my eyes today. Thank you for taking the time to post.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Awesome as always and so nice to be able to visit with you and your family. FYI - Weston Prime has not Closed yet - it will close permanently in about a week ( I only know as A neighbor who I babysit for through Kids Night In works there!)
I always love your underwater and sunset photos but this time ,your beverage photos are Amazing too!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
CBama

Post by CBama »

Enjoying your reports!
jmq

Post by jmq »

I meant to comment on the drinks at Shipwreck - while that Vodka lemonade looks mighty good, I was momentarily taken aback by the price we paid for our rum punch when we were there in June: $9

Maybe we were getting spoiled by the Cruz Bay Happy Hour prices...and maybe its a good self limiting thing as who needs to be driving back across the island after one too many at a Shipwreck lunch?
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide