Looking for Villa in Oct--2 Couples

Travel discussion for St. John
HaveToTravel

Looking for Villa in Oct--2 Couples

Post by HaveToTravel »

We are trying to decide whether to reschedule our Dec. trip because my doctor advised I not travel to St John after 24 weeks of pregnancy given my particular situation. SO, either my parents will go on the Dec. trip by themselves and leave it as planned, or we will change things and all go together in mid to late Oct.

We originally chose Bongo Bongo, but it's not available the week we think we will go in Oct if we change our plans. So now I am looking for a villa with 2 bedrooms and great outdoor area, that offers us some room to spread out a bit. The villa will be a big part of the vacation for us, so we are willing to splurge a bit...we have been so excited for Bongo Bongo, but I'm not sure we can match our trip to its availability in Oct. I checked Reef Madness and Coconuts, and neither is available for that time either.

Any other suggestions come to mind? This will be our first trip, so I've researched a lot, but haven't any firsthand experience. Thanks!
lprof

Re: Looking for Villa in Oct--2 Couples

Post by lprof »

A villa that has been, and still is, on my wish list is Splendore http://www.vacationvistas.com/Villas/sp ... _john.html Several forum members have reported happily staying there. It may be available in October.
Good luck with changing your plans and with the new baby!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

Have you checked out Bay Rum Breeze? It's in Mamey Peak and has incredible views. It's a newer villa and not too much more in cost than Coconuts. Coconuts is incredible as well. It's too bad that it's booked during that time. Have you looked at Plumeria? It's directly next door to Coconuts and owned by the same person.
Jenn, News of St. John
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

Check out Ellison, Ilios or Angelica.
Vickie420

Post by Vickie420 »

Wings over Water...looks amazing! What area are you looking on St. John?
HaveToTravel

Post by HaveToTravel »

Thanks for the help! We are open to most areas. We were looking at Cruz Bay since it is our first visit, but we're not stuck on that.

I'm having so much trouble coordinating everyone's schedules today that I'm thinking it may not work to reschedule. My parents might have to go to Bongo Bongo in Dec, on their own. That's bittersweet--I'm so excited for them, but the 4 of us were really excited to take the trip together. Hopefully our trip insurance will work as it should so that my husband and I can get our expenses back and they can still use Bongo Bongo for their planned portion since the villa company still retains all our payment. We bought a policy for each couple in case some thing happened that prevented one from going; we just didn't think it would be a happy reason!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Alesandra villa is great and open that week

http://www.islandgetawaysinc.com/allesandra.htm
Tom
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Nix Ellison, not a great location, very bland decor and TOO MANY stairs from the parking area up to the main house. Angelica has no view of any water. Illios is an solder villa. You can do better than any of these, especially in October. Colibri is beautiful, spellbound is drop dead gorgeous, if you do t need a pool, Terrahawk right on the Northshore Rd isA/C and very nice.
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

I stayed at Plumeria in early October of last year (It is right next door to Coconuts), there is a very large outdoor living area and nice pool, plenty of room to spread out. Kevin, the owner of Coconuts purchased the property and since made some improvements to an already great villa. The views are to die for, I dont think you could go wrong in my humble opinion :D
HaveToTravel

Post by HaveToTravel »

I'm feeling a little more optimistic since reading everyone's suggestions. Hopefully my family can get our Oct schedules coordinated and make it work. We are trying to keep the villa rental at $3500 or less for the week, especially because I think our new airline tickets will be more expensive than the ones we had booked for Dec. if it turns out we are not using Bongo Bongo in Dec, I'll add a post in case someone else is looking for those dates.
CHM

Post by CHM »

Have you looked at La Bella Vita? It is a 4 bedroom villa, but the 2 bedroom rental price might work. However, Bongo Bongo is fabulous so if you can make the dates work, keep Bongo. La Bella Vita is awesome, but Bongo is just my favorite thus far.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Casa Beuno is nice and has a great view and awesome
Outdoor space!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
jpm

Post by jpm »

Palm Villa is one of the Gifft Hill villas, including Coconuts and Plumeria. It has the same spectacular view+a large master suite. VRBO listing #464546.
CinnBay

Post by CinnBay »

I've always thought Cinnamon Tarn would be a great place to stay. It has gotten great reviews o the forum.

http://www.seaviewhomes.com/cinnamon_tarn.htm
HaveToTravel

Post by HaveToTravel »

Okay, verdict is in. My family couldn't sync our Oct schedules and I didn't think trip insurance would over cancellation for this situation, so we are keeping Bongo Bongo in Dec. My parents will go for sure and my husband and I will decide later based on how the pregnancy is going. The reason my doctor advised me not to travel after 24 weeks is because St John does not have a NICU, but St Thomas does and they are cooperating partners with the emergency room in St John. We will see how we feel about that closer to the trip. I'm not at any increased risk for preterm labor, but the doctor is cautious since this is my first pregnancy and I don't have any previous patterns to go by. But now I have several villas on my wish list in case we don't get to go or in case we DO and the bug bites us for many return trips.