Family Trip to Cinnamon Bay!

Travel discussion for St. John
CindyH

Family Trip to Cinnamon Bay!

Post by CindyH »

Hi all, I am traveling to Cinnamon Bay next week and had a few questions:

Can anyone recommend a jeep rental company? Do we need a jeep, or will any car do? It just looks like the cab fares are so expensive for a family of 4. Also, do we rent from St. Thomas or St. John?

I would also like to book a half-day or sunset cruise to show my family the island from the water. Can anyone recommend any charter boats or Eco-tours?

Finally, I have 2 kids ages 6 and 9. Any must see-dos with them? We will definitely go to Trunk Bay. Is there a way to find out when cruise ships will be in so we can avoid those days?

Thanks so much. Any help is appreciated!
PA Girl

Re: Family Trip to Cinnamon Bay!

Post by PA Girl »

I would rent a vehicle. With 4 people, the taxi fares will add up fast.

I have a 7yo who has been coming to STJ since he was an infant. He likes any of the ruins, snorkeling (of course), the smoothie stand, kayaking (we did a trip with VI Ecotours) and going out on a boat. We were scheduled on Kekoa during our last trip but got rained out. I will book again for our upcoming trip.

The ranger led water's walk along Leinster Bay was recommended to me but we haven't tried it yet.
visitstj

Post by visitstj »

The most accurate cruise ship schedule I've found is located here: http://www.ships.vi/. Knowing the schedule is good: shop on St. Thomas when ships are in; visit Trunk Bay when ships are not in.
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

The ranger walk at Leinster is Wed at 9:30am, free and fun for all ages. The 2 little girls on our walk were SOOO excited by the little crabs and conch. There's a nice little sugar mill ruin right across the road from Cinnamon Bay with a self-guided trail, and an even better self-guided ruin tour at Annaberg (up by Leinster Bay where the ranger walk is).

If your kids are comfortable in the water and interested in sea creatures, I strongly recommend a snorkel trip with Capt. Phil on the Wayward Sailor. Phil is an awesome free diver, underwater photographer and amateur naturalist. He not only hops in the water with you and leads you to his favorite sights, he will teach anybody who shows the slightest interest how to free dive. He clearly loves working with kids. We didn't have any youngsters on our trip, but Phil kept telling us stories about the funny smart-alec 9-year-old from last week's tour, and the amazing 5-year-old who turned out to be a natural free-diver. Phil's not getting any younger, so take advantage of him while he's still in business.

You'll want a jeep. With a family of 4 you won't save any money by using taxis and you'll need a vehicle to get to places like Leinster Bay and beyond. If you rent on St. John, jeeps is all they have.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Your kids will have a blast in and out of the water!! I would suggestion Annaberg Ruins!! They might also want to try to Stand up Paddleboards or the hobie at Cinnamon ( they can get a guide to take them out!).
Also if you want a night out without the kiddos, I run Kids Night In Babysitting Service.. Just PM me for info if needed!
Hope you have a blast!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Beesmom

Post by Beesmom »

If you want to rent a vehicle, I'd start calling around now. It can be difficult to find one this close to your trip. I've rented from Dependable on St. Thomas, and St. John Car Rental and Courtesy on St. John and like them all. With maybe the exception of Budget on St. Thomas, there doesn't seem to be a car rental place that is generally considered 'bad'.

-Sandy

PS: Your family will have a blast - we went to Cinnamon Bay 3 days out of 8 on our last vacation because our son loved kayaking to different places to snorkel.