New record for Priority Mail

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

New record for Priority Mail

Post by Coconuts »

I had two large flat rate Priority Mail packages to ship down, and dropped them off just before the Post Office closed at 1PM on Saturday. They entered Puerto Rico early Monday morning, leaving that same day, and only spent Tuesday morning in St. Thomas. They arrived in St. John Tuesday afternoon, and were "ready for pickup" shortly after the Post Office in Cruz Bay closed on Tuesday. That's as good or better than I seen on the mainland! While the potential for shipments to take as long as ten days remains a possibility, I think that shorter deliveries have become more common. There was a very critical report a few years ago that brought high level attention to what had been a pretty dysfunctional system, but perhaps the oversight has helped improve things. $16.85 for a 12" x 12" x 5.5" box with tracking is a far better deal than FedEx or UPS offers.
Tracking
Tracking
All the best,

Kevin
Myheart'sinSTJ

Re: New record for Priority Mail

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

That's good to know, I was thinking of sending a package ahead for our arrival in August. I mailed something to Leslie McK. on a Saturday morning here at home in PA and she had it Monday afternoon on STJ! That was quicker than mailing a letter going to the next town over here at home, go figure... :)
longingstjohn

Post by longingstjohn »

That is amazing. glad to know.
not sure how to do the ticker thingy, but we are due on island on the 13th..
my concentration at work is suffering for some reason :roll:
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I have had similar success with flat rate priority boxes to St. John. I also used tracking and found it invaluable.
The good thing is if it goes past 5 days, I believe they will refund your money. I had a situation where I mailed a package from Florida to Chicago. It went to Puerto Rico for two days (just for fun I guess), I called the 1800 # and the woman was very helpful and said if it didn't arrive in Chicago by day 5, I could fill out a report. Amazingly, it did arrive on time. (They consider 5 days on time.)
Tickerless :(
sherban

Post by sherban »

This data point may be a statistical outlier...if it is, it should be discarded... :lol:
gibber161

Post by gibber161 »

Suzanna and I mailed a priority box on Tues, June 25th and it was picked up today, Wed, July 3 at 11:00am....not bad for the U. S. Postal Service. :D
gibber161

Post by gibber161 »

longingstjohn wrote:That is amazing. glad to know.
not sure how to do the ticker thingy, but we are due on island on the 13th..
my concentration at work is suffering for some reason :roll:
We are arriving on island on the 13th as well....maybe we will run into each other. :)