BEST TIME OF YEAR TO VISIT ST JOHN

Travel discussion for St. John
vacagirl

BEST TIME OF YEAR TO VISIT ST JOHN

Post by vacagirl »

What is the BEST time of year to visit STJ? Taking into consideration rainy season, hurricane season, etc. I know the potential for rain everyday is there but I am looking to find out when the least rainfall is. I've been very lucky each time I have gone during hurricane season, but I'm not wishing to push my luck. Input would be great in helping me when to go. Thinking of going in July or August of 2014.
My Heart is in St. John!
jaybfloyd

Re: BEST TIME OF YEAR TO VISIT ST JOHN

Post by jaybfloyd »

dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

Isn't it a bit more complicated than just average rainfall? Every month has its pros and cons. Here's what I've gleaned from the forums (plus a little bit of personal experience). I've been in Jan, June, July, Sept. I'm leaning towards June/July as the best overall choice, but I'd like to try October some time.

January-March
PRO - Great time to get away from northern weather. Not quite as hot as other times of year.
CON - crowds, north swells. Water may be too cool for some, esp pools.

April-May
PRO - North swells over, too early for hurricanes, still not really hot, trade winds blowing.
CON - extended rains possible, followed by mosquito outbreaks. Still somewhat crowded.

June-July
PRO - hurricanes and extended rain unlikely. Steady trade winds, not blazing hot yet. Low season.
CON - slight chance of tropical storm /hurricane. Sahara dust a possibility. Nice weather at home.

Aug-Sept
PRO - uncrowded, water very warm (if that's a plus for you). Lowest of low season (cheap).
CON - height of hurricane season. Very hot, occasionally windless. A lot of things are closed.

Oct-Dec15
PRO - Biggest hurricane threat is past. Uncrowded, cheap. Water still warm but not tepid.
CON - Hurricanes still possible. Extended period of rain possible

Dec15-Jan5.
PRO - Unpleasant weather in northern climes, family holiday in the tropics sounds good.
CON - crazy expensive, crowded. North swells likely, hurricane still possible (barely)
coconutmom

Post by coconutmom »

Jan. 1 to Dec. 31
Beesmom

Post by Beesmom »

[quote="dreamshark"]Isn't it a bit more complicated than just average rainfall? Every month has its pros and cons. Here's what I've gleaned from the forums (plus a little bit of personal experience). I've been in Jan, June, July, Sept. I'm leaning towards June/July as the best overall choice, but I'd like to try October some time.
[\quote]

That's a pretty good summation, DreamShark. I prefer late July / early August for pretty much the reasons you stated. I went once in October and it was great, but not 2-3 days later it rained constantly for several weeks.

-Sandy (You roll the dice you take your chances)
jdjcmaso

Post by jdjcmaso »

We love the first half of December.
Joe
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

[quote="Beesmom"]I prefer late July / early August for pretty much the reasons you stated.

Couldn't agree more. Nice and warm, great water temps, most places open, low crowds. It's all good...!!!
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

We had 2 great July trips and 1 with more rain. Short trip last August was nice. I like November because the water is warm and calm and it is less crowded. Also, it is starting to get cold in PA at that time so it feels more like getting away from the winter weather.
tochin

Post by tochin »

I think it all depends on luck and your expectations really. I personally am partial to October and May/June visits but we have never run into extended periods of bad weather during our visits. October we love (and will be going back this year during that time) because it is not crowded, the water temps. are still warm, its cheaper, and many businesses are starting to reopen in October. Now we have never had a hurricane threat while there (knock on wood) so that would definitely put a damper on things.

We have gone year round and our least favorite time of year (if there is such a thing on STJ), which was still an awesome vacation, was in January because its more expensive for lodging and the water is cool and the pool was even cooler for my son.

Overall, for my family, we have never had a bad trip to St. John but to paraphrase Jimmy Buffett: Those "Changes in Latititudes" definitely cause "Changes in Attitiudes"! :D

There is no better feeling of excitement than getting off the ferry the first day and starting that next adventure of the left hand side of life.
vacagirl

Post by vacagirl »

Dreamshark: thank you for that summation. It is up to each persons personal preferences but since I have only been in May & October I wanted to find out what some of the other months were like and others views. You have all confirmed what I was thinking. July is probably the best time to go. I am definitely a hot weather person. On my October trips I absolutely loved the weather and how warm the water was. The first trip was very uneventful with the weather and the last time it was the tail end of a tropical storm blowing thru. We were held up in the airplane in San Juan for a couple of hours but then things calmed down enough for us to land in STT. I think after reading all the input I am going to plan my trip for the end of July/first of August. Thank you all again for the info, it was very helpful.
My Heart is in St. John!
54b

Post by 54b »

Always a huge proponent of June as it seemed like the best of all worlds...lower off season prices, greater villa/car rental availability, slightly less crowded, most if not all restaurants still open, typically not very rainy, mosquitos not too bad, and technically, the weather is cooler in STJ than in my home state of Texas.

That said, the Sahara Dust Dreamshark referenced above really got to me this last trip (June 11 - 19) for some reason. The temps were lower than usual which was nice, but everyday seemed really overcast and hazy, like we were in LA. It's a bit petty and disingenuous to complain when any day on STJ is better than being just about anywhere else and I should count myself very fortunate to be able to go to STJ, but I was surprised how important seeing that bright blue sky was to me and it actually got me thinking about considering going at another time of year.

Hoping this last trip was more of an anomaly than what future Junes will be like.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I like early June but Nov has been nice. We hit a monsoon in July once. It is just a chance with any date I guess. April was nice but the water was colder.