Reef Bay Hike

Travel discussion for St. John
Hawaii

Reef Bay Hike

Post by Hawaii »

Our family will be on STJ at end of July :) It will be myself, husband, son (16)and daughter (12). Our daughter has become very interested in all the history of STJ and wants to hike the Reef Bay Hike along with some others. I know my husband will not do this hike but maybe son so it looks like my daughter and I may do it alone. She does not want to do the guided tour because she wants to hike back up - lucky me :lol: Anyway, I know to bring plenty of water but my big concern is I do not want to get lost. Is it pretty easy to find the trail and stay on it. I do not want to do any more then the required hike. I am in good shape and daughter is fine so not worried about the hike. Thanks so much.
rImage
54b

Re: Reef Bay Hike

Post by 54b »

Getting lost will be the least of your concerns. It's a very well maintained and well-traveled trail. There are very few turns and the trail is wide enough for two people to walk next to each other for much of the way. It's basically a straight shot to the coast and back.

And the trails that spur off to Little Lameshur Bay and the Petroglyphs are very well marked as well.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Pia

Post by Pia »

Can't get lost - very easy to stay on the trail but I will warn you now that last 1/4 mile on the way back up it a *b* itch

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Thanks.

Pia - I did see that hill on youtube but I am up for a good challenge. This way I will be fine eating and drinking as much as I want that night :D Good thing I am in pretty good shape as I run about 3 miles 2x a week and 6 or so Saturday/Sunday. If you want you can come push me up the last 1/4 mile I don't weigh too much :lol:
rImage
Nancie-Pa

Post by Nancie-Pa »

Hawaii, I would suggest that you take the guided tour down but opt to not take the boat back to Cruz Bay. The park ranger talks about the history of STJ and has some very interesting items to show as well. Once you get to the bottom, you can hang out as long as you want and head back up the trail when you are ready. If your daughter wants to learn some history of St John, the rangers do a great job. And she can ask questions along the way, too.
Whatever you do, Have fun! :D
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

There is the option to do the Reef Bay hike downhill and then hike along Reef Bay to the road that goes to Cocolobo Point. That is all flat hike along the water. You will need to have someone pick you up at the end at Reef Bay Rd on the south side of the island.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
54b

Post by 54b »

Thought you might enjoy a recap of my first encounter with the Reef Bay Trail...I think it will give you a real feel for what you're asking about.

http://becauseitsnotthere.wordpress.com ... dier-crab/

Happy to report that I've done the trail two more times since the debacle referenced above...if you're in decent shape, eat a good breakfast and take plenty of water, you'll be more than fine.

But Pia wasn't kidding, that last 1/4 mile from the Kapok tree back up to the trailhead on Centerline Road is a merciless broken escalator.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
visitstj

Post by visitstj »

Getting down and back is pretty simple - as other's have noted. My advice is to hike early, so that on the way back it's still cool. Heat + grade was the issue for us.
RJ in Wisconsin

Post by RJ in Wisconsin »

You'll have no problem hiking back up seeing as you are a runner. Having water is the big thing.

Just remember to be back up the trail before sunset - waaayyyy earlier on St. John than you'd think.

Have fun!
My dream is to live on St. John & vacation in Wisconsin(only in Summertime)!
RJ in Wisconsin

Post by RJ in Wisconsin »

54b: I just read your blog & am still chuckling. My husband & I can totally relate to what you are saying. We had a heck of a trying walk back up Reef Bay Trail & had to stop & rest often. We are such dummies cause we brought no extra water after spending a good portion of the day combing the petroglyphs, ruins & beach at the bottom. Ughhhh!
My dream is to live on St. John & vacation in Wisconsin(only in Summertime)!
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Thanks everyone - We will see what happens but think my daughter and I will do this hike. When you get on island time sometimes things change but of course this is something she really wants to do so it probably will happen.

54b - I have read your "encounter" more then once as it does give me a good laugh - ha. I will definitely take it easy on the painkillers the night before and stay hydrated!!

Thanks everyone so excited for our second trip.
rImage