Trip report 4/29 thru 5/9 part 2

Travel discussion for St. John
Adp1110

Trip report 4/29 thru 5/9 part 2

Post by Adp1110 »

Sat.- Boat trip day! We waited to book until we were on island. We ended up choosing bad kitty because it has the most stops. We really wanted to see the Baths and this was the first stop. We were a bit nervous that the trip would be rushed and also with the open bar we didn't know if people would be getting "crazy". Neither of those were a problem at all. The baths were amazing!
The next stop was cooper island beach club for lunch. Yum yum! It was so beautiful and you could see tons of starfish everywhere in the water. That stop was a bit rushed. No time for exploring after lunch. Next the weather was up a little, it got cloudy and a little breezy. We were going to go to the caves or Indians but because of the wind direction we went to the wall off of Peter island. It was really great coral and we loved the deep blue water. Next was white bay. By the time we got there it was sunny again. The captain said the way the weather filters over Tortola it's almost always sunny there. The color of the water was almost unbelievable! We aren't really drinkers so we walked up and down and checked it all out and then relaxed at a table until it was time to go. What an experience! I had so much fun just people watching and listening to stories!
It was a lovely day with a lovely group of people. One couple live about 20 minutes from us in Michigan, weird! When we got back we stopped by Uncle Joe's to pick up dinner and then back to the house. We did the hot tub followed by catching up on "the office" online. Full and fun day.

Sun.- we took it easy for the morning which was nice. Once the house started getting a little hot we left to go to miss Lucy's for brunch. Great view, great jazz, great food, great crab races! We had a table right by the bay under a tree. We were one of the last of the initial tables for our order to go in so we explored the beach, and picked crabs for the races. We ended up winning a few things, the best was bogo day sail, which we hope to use next time. I got the lobster Benedict thing and DH got the stuffed French toast. So so good!
We were stuffed and went home for an afternoon siesta. We napped and then went to Kiddel bay which was crab mans recommendation.
There were a couple other people there, maybe 6. It was a little bit choppy but the snorkeling was interesting anyway. There was a visible layer in the water about 5 or 6 feet down and underneath the water was really cold. It was so weird, never saw that before! I had to dive under the layer to get clear pics of the fish, squid etc. enjoyed the afternoon there, then home to clean up. We went to skinny legs for dinner. It was ok. I guess it's more about the experience? On the way home we decided to venture up a new road that ended up going all the way up Bordeaux mtn. It was a fun drive with pretty views. Then home to chill out.

Mon.- we took our breakfast to gibney early.
There was a guy on the beach doing tai chi. It kind of added to the atmosphere of relaxation. We snorkeled the left side a little and then farther up the right side. It was really choppy that morning. It started to rain so we came home for lunch. We went to Leinster to do waterlemon but then it started a torrential downpour. We ended up driving east and it was only raining on the west side so we went out to haulover and snorkeled the nw side. It was unbelievable! THE BEST snorkel of the trip. It was calm there which I guess is not the norm.
After that we went home cleaned up and went to caneel for the grand seafood buffet. DH was super excited for this! I think he ate 7 lobsters not to mention all the other things. The food was really good, I loved the ginger calamari salad. The desserts were out of this world. Definitely worth it since we didn't do a lot of dinners out being in coral bay. By dinner time we just never felt like driving to Cruz bay. Met a nice couple there and watched the sun half set (it was pretty cloudy). The lights twinkling on st Thomas was so charming and we were stuffed when we peeled ourselves out of those chairs and went home to bed.

Tues.- We grabbed some breakfast bagels from pickles and headed over to Leinster. About a quarter of the way out for some reason I got blisters on the back of both of my heels which ripped open. My shoes had never done this before but man did they choose a bad time. I was not giving up and went barefoot, tip toed, or put up with the pain the rest of the way. We stopped at the beach and snorkeled from there. We went around the cay twice and saw barracuda, Spanish mackerel, a bunch of turtles, and more.
When we were wrapping up the water was getting crowded. When we got back to the beach ( our underwater camera started leaking and I had to snorkel all the way back with the camera over my head. That was awkward but I am a pretty good swimmer so it went ok.) there were tons of people and as we walked out, crowds were passing us. I didn't know that beach got so crowded! We popped over to cinnamon to see the longest beach. It was really stirred up so no snorkeling. We swam, dozed and played in the surf. Picked up food and drinks and ran over to maho. It was our first official beach and would be our last. It was overcast with a large dark cloud hanging over the island but it didn't rain on us. We talked to a family who had just moved to the island and plan to open a shop at cocoloba which will stay open late for the aqua bistro crowd. Sounds like a good idea. We saw a lemon shark right in the surf and also a barracuda.
Reluctantly we left knowing it would be our last beach time for a while. We cleaned up and went over to maho camps. We watched glass blowing and arranged for our items that we made to be shipped home. Love watching those pros handle that glass and now trying it ourselves we have even greater respect for how difficult it is.

Wed.- travel day : (. We went to jakes in Cruz bay for breakfast followed by a quick stop at st john spice and then caught the 930 ferry to st Thomas.
Leisurely drove across the island, returned the jeep and got to the airport with tons of time. Maybe too early. It stinks being inside looking out knowing the next time you are outside it ain't gonna be so warm. The flights were uneventful and we got home on time. The whole time we were gone Michigan had unusually warm weather so all the trees were in flower which made reentry to normal life a little easier.

It was amazing, and literally almost perfect. I don't know how another trip can live up to it but we plan on trying to beat it next year and the year after that! I can't Wait to go back and I will have to keep reading this forum to tide me over until that time comes. Also I just want to say thanks for all the info I learned from here and all the pics that I can look at in between trips.
coldfront

Re: Trip report 4/29 thru 5/9 part 2

Post by coldfront »

Very wonderful trip review! Thank you very, very much! Um, I usually start planning and looking in August and booking in September or October for winter travel, but this was such a great report I'm going to start this weekend! Thanks! :mrgreen:
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Great report and pics! Thanks for posting. You reminded me to add Haulover to our list. We have never been there.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I really enjoyed it. Re-entry is always hard for me. My husband and I were just talking about it this morning and he said 'awww....you always get teared up on the ferry ride to Red Hook..." I do. Its terrible and I dread that day...we've been going to St John since 2003 when we went the first time to get married...ten years ago today...that said...we will be back on Saturday for ten days...and my husband, daughter and I can't WAIT!!! :D
betsyv

Post by betsyv »

Great TR! Thanks..It helps with my wait...Beautiful pictures too...

piscesgirl0314,
Happy Anniversary!
BetsyV

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I really loved your report and pictures! Thanks so much for sharing.

That layer you saw at Kiddle is called a thermocline. I have never seen one while snorkeling on St. John, only while scuba diving up here in frigid Massachusetts. I am surprised that there were so many other people on the beach there...we have always had Kiddle to ourselves. And the crowds at Waterlemon were crazy too! I am glad you were able to enjoy your snorkel despite the crowds and leaky camera. I have had that happen to me a couple of times and it is not fun!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We also saw a lemon shark (maybe the same one) at Maho in February.

I enjoyed seeing STJ through your eyes via your reports. It is a pleasure to hear about newbies that love trip and are "hooked."
dhanc1

Post by dhanc1 »

Nice report. I like Kiddle too. --What did you think of the sound of the surf as it tumbles over the rocks. My wife made a recording on her phone and plays it from time to time when she starts to miss St J. --Thanks
SmilinJack

Post by SmilinJack »

It cracks me up...my wife and I are looking at going to Hawaii for our 25th anniversary in October, but every time I read a report like this and see pictures like these, it just makes me want to get back there as fast as possible. It really is the True Jewel of the Caribbean! Thank you very much!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

FANTASTIC trip report! Thanks for sharing.
ALSO, thanks for posting the menu for the Caneel buffet! I've always wondered what all was on it, and if it would be worth our money. Looks like it is!
Adp1110

Post by Adp1110 »

Thanks everybody!

I looked and looked for info on the buffet and couldn't find any so I thought that might be helpful for those like me. :D
I always thought I would travel to only new places and see as much of the world as I could but now I feel like I would just wish I went to St. John. I think I'm hooked!
Honestly I really wanted to have the beach to ourselves and we never did and we went to a bunch. At kiddel it was a group of VERY tan ladies that look like they were regulars should we say? Haha. We did enjoy the sound of the surf for sure. Didn't think of recording it.
We were blessed enough to seem to have good timing and usually missed the majority of the crowds inc. waterlemon.
Haulover nw I guess usually has pretty big waves and is rated an "advanced" snorkel but when we went it was calm just a heads up. It was starting to get a little choppy by the time we were getting out. The reef starts almost right at the water edge and you have to carefully pick your way through or try going in to the right more. It was very extensive and multiple depths to explore.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

What a great trip report - thanks so much! Your trip very much resembles our April trip. I really need to write up a shortie report.
Thermocline - interesting! Sounds like lucky timing, that you were able to see one!