St Thomas' airport porter , Daphne

Travel discussion for St. John
Fisheye

St Thomas' airport porter , Daphne

Post by Fisheye »

We flew out of stt recently on a Saturday. We arrived at the airport 2 hrs early to a LONG line snaking out and around outside. No porters in sight, tho our taxi driver was trying to help look. I didn't wanna give up on a porter, so we stood there for a min, ( folks tellin us they were all busy) when the taxi driver points and yells "there's one!" whew. So lucky were we, as it was Daphne who took over -- we stood right there , gave her our passports , she returned with boarding passes in 1 minute, I swear , and just told us she would handle everything, and to follow her, which gladly we did. I saw her nametag, and said " oh wow! daphne! You're famous!" ( I lurk on this forum and see her name ) she loooked at me as if I had lost my mind. Later, when we were all done, she said " what were you talking about"? I told her about this forum, she had me write down the website, and seemed very pleased and surprised that people have mentioned her online. She was totally unaware of this forum, so she was gonna check it out and see if she could find her name!
She is GREAT. She does not "charge a fee," as I've read some do, just whatever you tip. So pleasant and helpful in facilitating thru that crazy Saturday at the airport. She's a pleasure. :D
Jumbiegirl

Re: St Thomas' airport porter , Daphne

Post by Jumbiegirl »

Last year we told her she was famous too. She said she'd heard that her name had been floated around. She was surprised when I told her her phone number has as well. Daphne is is the best!
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I have her card taped to the outside back cover of my passport. She is a hardworking lady. Christopher (our taxi guy) hooked us up with her years back when our son was an infant and we have been porter people ever since.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Rachel always calls her when we are a few minutes from the airport so she's on the look out for us.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

We too have learned the joys of using Daphne. Our last trip, we got all the way through customs when I discovered I had left my computer bag (with all my cash, credit cards, computer, etc in it) back at the check in desk. She ran back out and found it for me ASAP - what a lifesaver!!
Bonny in CA

Post by Bonny in CA »

We have been lucky and always breezed through the airport... But if we ever get unlucky we will look for Daphne for sure!

I have had the same conversation with Rachel! We had her pick us up on our first trip, and I recognized her at the airport. She was amazed to find out that we all talk about her, and circulate her phone number and even her picture! I told her she's famous here!

:D
covkid63

Post by covkid63 »

Newbie here, Hello All :) Just returned from our first trip to STJ (May 24th thru 31st) Had a fabulous time!
Met Rachel for the first time LOVE her! Had Daphne help us on our return journey! What a great gal she is!
I have to admit we caught a few frosty glares from a couple of folks in the LOOOONG line but I just put my head down and walked briskly behind Daphne :shock:

Look forward to talking with you all and a big thanks to Pia for this site recommendation :D
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Hi there. Another member of the Daphne Fan Club here. We learned early on about using porters. I have said here that it is the best $20 you will spend on the trip. Last week, Rachel managed to get the real Daphne to help us. It was the first time we've met. Everything said above happened to us too. Although they don't "charge a fee" in the strictest sense of the word, I understand that the going rate is $10 per person. Daphne is all business and does not stop moving. :shock: She is NOT on Island Time! As a result, we didn't get to chat much. Although other porters have short circuited the process for us, not all of them do what she does. One porter left us to stand on the Customs line. The line wasn't too long and we had the time so it didn't matter much. Keeping up with Daphne was sufficient to get us out of Island Time and prepared for the real world that awaited us.

BTW, welcome covkid63. Sorry we missed you during our overlapping trips. It's always fun to see a trip report from someone who is there for the first time. We would love to see your thoughts here.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Pia

Post by Pia »

Welcome covkid63 - so glad you are over here and can't wait to read your report :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Does anyone happen to have Daphne's number please? This is good info to have with you...
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Hi there... Daphne is awesome.
Rachel called her prior to us arriving at the airport this past January and she took over! She made things very simple on us. It was well worth the money. I think I paid $10. She held onto our bags. She checked us in and saved us from standing in line (which was long at the time) and we were whisked through everything. She was awesome.
Love Daphne!
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Daphne wasn't available when we departed on Sunday (6/9), so we used another porter. BIG difference, regardless. Major conga line awaiting clearing customs, but we bypassed it. (Its only a matter of time IMO before the special porter service will be eliminated.) Anyway, I estimate that it saved us at least 30 min. waiting in line.
"The exuberance of youth pales in comparison to a middle-age crisis."