The reason behind when you go to STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
Teresa_Rae

Re: The reason behind when you go to STJ

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We always go in the summer, for several reasons:

1) it's less expensive
2) it's less crowded
3) we got married in August and honeymooned on STJ, so we go back about that same time every year
4) it's usually not as hot on STJ as it is at home so we go to STJ to escape the heat and humidity
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
toni

Post by toni »

We are farmers (vineyard) so schedule it typically after picking in the fall. Something to look forward to after a harvest. But since that can vary, it's usually not until Nov or Dec that we go. I'm economical (read cheap here! :D ) and won't go in January- April, though I think once maybe we did. We like to get away somewhere hot then too, since husband is out trimming everyday in the snow, but. opt for a cruise if we can for the $.

We went once in July and it rained a lot which was disappointing, especially since it was the first time we had brought friends (they had a school age daughter so had to go then). Generally November/early December is perfect timing for us. It's pretty quiet still and great to relax after looong days of work.
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

We started going to St John in February because one night in the winter of 1981 I got up in the middle of the night and started reading a National Geographic story about St John and Cinnamon Bay- the moon was full- the ground was covered with snow and the wind was blowing the snow like crazy. Here is a place that maybe we can afford in winter I thought- we had a two year old at the time. Around the sme time there was also a story about Cinnamon Bay in the New York Times. We booked Cinnamon campground for the following February but my second daughter decided to be born that Feb of 1982 so we started in 1983 and always went in February or April because we are teachers and the kids were eventually in school. April vacation for Massachusetts was the beginning of off season then so the rates were real nice and the weather usually isn't that nice along the Mass coast in April. We have gone in Feb vacation with adult children and grandson the last few years because my daughter is now a teacher. Our preference remains winter but if we could we would not go President's weeks- it is just so nice to get away from the New England weather. My only regret is that I didn't save that nNational Geographic story.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Summers are BEAUTIFUL in Western NY and I wouldn't dream of going anywhere then, unless it was free. Also, I'm a volunteer coordinator for a pretty big event in July, and work May-August there. We're too cheap to travel in high season, except for this year's celebration of my daughter's graduation. It's really nice to flank our long awful winters with trips to St. John.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

We enjoy late spring/summer/early fall here and usually don't travel during those times (unless it's a getaway somewhere in New England). St. John trips are mostly in November - off season prices, less crowds, everything's open.

Of course there's always exceptions and we will be going to St. John next February for 8-tuff miles.
janet
papabou

Post by papabou »

we're retired so could go anytime of yr. we have been in jan, feb, april (twice), july, august, oct (4times), nov, & 3 times in early December, all enjoyable last minute trips. we picked dates because there were available seats out atl on it's only nonstop carrier AND we fly non rev AND we were able to get some good to great last minute villa discounts. it's amazing how free air travel and discounted lodging extends your vacation budget.

there are rewards for being "older" with a child in the airline industry. hmmm, looks like a bunch of seats south bound on july 4th but that's a month away but then i'm beginning to count months instead of years.

papabou
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

We visit St. John in January -- to escape the historically coldest month stateside.

That said, the last few years have proved history (and us) wrong. Last January wasn't very cold here in DC, and we came home to below-normal temperatures from February through May.

We're hanging with history, however . . . and will head back to STJ again in January, 2014.

TM
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Our first two trips were Christmas / New Years because of school vacation, and it was hard for my DH to leave his business from early spring through late fall.

Last two trips were President's week to do 8 Tuff (2012 with a friend; 2013 with the family and pulled the kids out of school.)

DH lost his battle to cancer right after our last trip, so now I'm just dealing with school and sports schedules and my rather limited vacation time (and budget of course.) The kids and I are booked for next President's week so we can do 8 Tuff again. We go Sunday to Sunday so they miss 4 instead of 5 school days and then we have to travel back the day after the race.

Someday I would dearly love to go in the low season when it's less crowded and a whole lot less expensive. I love going down for 8 Tuff, but it might get harder to pull the kids out of school so who knows what I'll do after next year.
sherban

Post by sherban »

Low season (usually June)...cost and crowds are our motivators.

Our "sitter" was previously my mother in law who was a teacher but now the kids come with us so that's no longer a factor.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

We have done the the last week of March/first week of April for the past 11 years as it's Spring Break for the kids. Being from Michigan and boaters too, we have a short 13 week summer to get use of our boat and coottage and nothing compares to a Michigan Summer by the lake(s)...unless you are from Mn, NY or Wi....lol.

And though it's typically Easter week...I'm not sure what people mean by crowds. Mabe by St John standards it is a lil more crowded, but nothin comapred to Florida for Spring Break....but then haven't done that in 11+ years.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Just as soon as school gets out for me!!!!! There is no time during the winter or fall or spring for me with 2 weeks. (Except Christmas, which is way to rich for my blood!!!) We are from Florida, and the winter water in STJ is a bit cool for me ... I don't want to have to pack my wet suit! :wink: Last but not least, on a teacher's salary... cost :shock: ! I do want to try October when I retire though! :D
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

John and I have been coming to St. John twice a year for a while, once in the summer and once in the winter. The trips are very different and I enjoy them both for different reasons.

The summer trip is longer (usually 2.5 weeks) because both of our jobs are quiet in the summer so it's easier to get away. I love the warm water and clear snorkeling conditions, the lack of crowds and the restaurant/jeep availability. We usually come in July or August, when the weather here in Boston is maybe a little bit too hot, and the Cape is certainly much too crowded (and expensive!).

The winter trip is always shorter (a week to 10 days) in January or February, and always just the two of us. We stay at Gallows for that one usually, though this past winter we did Caneel and that was nice. We like walking into town for dinner and being able to do longer hikes comfortably in the lower humidity. Personally, I find the water to be a little too cold in the winter and the snorkeling conditions are often less than ideal (swells etc.) We spend more time reading on the beach than snorkeling on the winter trips.

My favorite times here in MA are late spring and especially the fall season. I would probably not travel out of the region then unless I got a stellar deal (though I have been to STJ in October a couple of times and loved it).
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mfaughey

Post by mfaughey »

We have a timeshare at the Westin, so it's a fixed week. This year, our week begins July 13. I like July as it is less crowded and not much concerns of an "H". Definitely hot and humid, but that's what the beaches can quickly fix!
Last edited by mfaughey on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanque

Post by Nanque »

We are from Mn also and not sure we will be having a summer this year! We try to go 3 to 4 times a year. We own a house there, so we like to go often to check to see what needs to be done or replaced. Just mailed down a new hammock today.

We usually go in summer, fall, winter and spring. We actually like the fall best. Water is still warm, restaurants open, and not too busy. I agree there is less snorkeling in the winter. We usually bring friends with us in January, and March or April. This July our daughter, son in law and grandson will join us. The fall is for a ladies trip, followed by my husband joining us. Another reason it is a favorite it is the longest. Most the other trips are only 10 days, as my husband is still working.
UF Prof

Post by UF Prof »

We prefer early November for several reasons. Still low season rates, most restaurants are open, no crowds, generally a little cooler but the water is still comfortable. Hurricane season should be over. If staying at some elevation, the breezes are nice and a/c is usually not needed in the villa.
We were there this past November and again in Feb, big difference in the number of people in Cruz Bay and on the beaches.
Its been a hell of a ride, destination still unknown!