"You know there is nothing to do on St. John"

Travel discussion for St. John
smilesfromMN

Re: "You know there is nothing to do on St. John"

Post by smilesfromMN »

Bluestreak-
It makes me smile to see that you already "get" STJ and you haven't even been on a "real vacation" there yet!
You'll be hooked. Be warned - from here on out, you'll still enjoy seeing other parts of the country/world, but part of you will always be on STJ.
I can't really help you as far as music goes... we have young kids, so our evening entertainment is usually playing games, reading, etc. Plus, all of the "nothing to do" really makes us tired and we're usually in bed pretty early. :D
The experts on this forum will have several suggestions I'm sure! A very helpful bunch!
Bluestreak12

Post by Bluestreak12 »

I'm hoping to be hooked! :P :P

My first daughter just graduated college and my second on will be starting the year after next. So I'm hoping that we will have the time and resources to do so.

Just added a ticker to my signature. Hope it works!
nuendelcapecod

Post by nuendelcapecod »

We spend two weeks every March camping at Cinnamon Bay. "As busy as you want to be" describes it perfectly. March 2014 will be our sixth trip and we haven't gotten bored even for a minute. Your friend is much less tactful than you. :roll:
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

EagleRayLover wrote:I did nothing in St John this afternoon and kind of liked it! But don't worrying won't tell anyone!! :wink:
You could be back home with a to do of for last 7 days:
turn heat on
turn heat off
turn AC on
turn AC off
Turn heat on

8) 8)
cjroyer

Post by cjroyer »

When we were there in March, we stopped at Aqua Bisto on a Sunday afternoon and Lauren was playing. She sings and plays guitar and she was absolutely fabulous. When we return next May, I hope she's still on island and I hope to find out where she's playing again. Look her up, you'll be glad you did!
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Seestjohn.com has a live music schedule. We have enjoyed live music at Rhumb Lines several times. Great food and drinks too!
Bluestreak12

Post by Bluestreak12 »

Thank you both for the suggestions! I've bookmarked the website and it looks like they have quite a bit to choose from. I hope it stays that way through July!

-Steve
Chet

Post by Chet »

So much to do, so little time. You'll need to schedule several trips to STJ. As recommended, get up WAY early the first morning and drive around. Go to Reef Bay, Klien Bay, and Ditllief on the south side, cruise the north shore and see the spectacular beaches. Head out to the East End. Go to Little Lameshur. Along the way you'll go past dining and shops. Take note.

This drive-about will take 2 hours. When you get back to the crib the smile will let everyone know "I get it."

Have fun.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Our idea of a big night out is a nice dinner with a couple of drinks and a local musician playing in the background. Any recommendations for that?[/quote]

As time gets closer, this site might help!
http://www.seestjohn.com/arts_music.html
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Shoemaker- like like and more like

Lauren plays at Rhumblines frequently g i can get the exact days if interested) and Barefoot Cowboy on Tuesdays. She also plays at Motu and is terrific!!
Chris Carsel is another I really like a whole bunch.
Inner Visions is currently off island while touring the mainland- look at their website to see if they are near you!
Wednesday night Jam at in Dog gets rocking with some real talent!
I like music a whole lot!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
LynnieGirl

Post by LynnieGirl »

So looking forward to our first time on The Rock just sitting on our deck doing...nothing. Can't wait to go driving around the island looking at ...nothing. So ready to get in the water and do...nothing while looking at...nothing. Ahhh 41 more days til our nothing anniversary trip :lol:
Just another day for you, you and me in Paradise...

~Tammy
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Bluestreak12 wrote:One of the things I am looking forward to the most is just sitting on the deck overlooking Coral Harbor with BVI in the distance. I don't know how much better it can get than that. Having the company of a good friend or spouse to enjoy it with is a bonus. I like not having a set schedule and doing what we want, when we want. I love the thought of just exploring the island in a jeep, finding a secluded beach and just chilling for the day.

Our idea of a big night out is a nice dinner with a couple of drinks and a local musician playing in the background. Any recommendations for that?
Amen and Amen!
Bluestreak12

Post by Bluestreak12 »

Thanks for the great responses! I definitely plan on seeing Lauren play somewhere during our stay. I youtubed her to find out her style and she is just what we had in mind. I'll try not to let the secret out about St. John when I return, but it may be pretty hard. Come to think of it, maybe the person that I quoted already knows the secret and is trying to do the same! :lol:
sku01pt

Post by sku01pt »

It's some times hard for people to understand that I really do want to sit on the beach all day with my wife and a good mag. Or book and just do nothing for 10hrs except put sunscreen on her!
smilesfromMN

Post by smilesfromMN »

Bluestreak12 wrote:Come to think of it, maybe the person that I quoted already knows the secret and is trying to do the same! :lol:
True! Maybe that's her attempt to keep the crowds away. Clever! :D
When you return from your vacation and see her again you should say, "You were right, there's nothing to do there" and then give her a big exaggerated wink.
She'll either get it or think you're completely nuts! :wink: