Centerline Road

Travel discussion for St. John
sherban

Re: Centerline Road

Post by sherban »

Pia wrote:The area is at the Upper carolina Road intersection - you will all be fine (I drive it daily) - go slow, it is marked, drive on the "other side of the road" (if heading to Cruz Bay stay left if heading to Coral Bay - obviously only while you go around it)
Worst case scenario we go down to one lane or if it washes out completely we can all use the Bordeaux Mountain Road so you wont be stranded.
Pia
I take it the worst areas are below Ajax Peak Road on the hill going down to Coral Bay...correct?

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/news/ ... -1.1488874
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Thanks, Pia! Sam knows Bordeaux's twist and turns...he says drive slow and we'll be fine.
lovest.john

Post by lovest.john »

I've been looking at google maps. Couldn't you take North Shore Rd to Kings Hill Rd to get to Coral Bay? It's not the most direct but it looks like it would work. We will be there in August with our kids and would like to show them that side of the island.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

lovest.john wrote:I've been looking at google maps. Couldn't you take North Shore Rd to Kings Hill Rd to get to Coral Bay? It's not the most direct but it looks like it would work. We will be there in August with our kids and would like to show them that side of the island.
This is an interesting question. I've never been very far down Kings Hill Road from Coral Bay, and I've never been down it at all from Centerline. I do recall seeing that portion when parking at the smoothie stand, and it seems like it looked pretty rough, if I recall correctly.

We will also be there in August and I'm hoping to take my boys out to Lameshur and Salt Pond.
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

When I went past it daily a couple weeks ago thought to myself thats not good. Maybe if it washes out completely while staying on the Coral Bay side and ya get stuck you could just extend your stays until fixed. At island time ya could get an extra six months to a year vacay. Hey that actually sounds pretty darn good to me lol just kiddin guys
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

cptnkirk wrote:When I went past it daily a couple weeks ago thought to myself thats not good. Maybe if it washes out completely while staying on the Coral Bay side and ya get stuck you could just extend your stays until fixed. At island time ya could get an extra six months to a year vacay. Hey that actually sounds pretty darn good to me lol just kiddin guys
Yea, if I were a business or villa owner in Coral Bay, I would be having me a pick and a shovel out there if that happened! :shock: Can you imagine the lost revenue! :shock: :shock:
LifeInParadise

Post by LifeInParadise »

Hi all, Don't fret about this road just be aware to drive slow and use caution where ever you see the barricades (yellow sticks or orange barricades). This is
a dangerous road just be aware. The Bordeaux Road is mostly paved and will work as an alternative. Kings Hill road is not feasible... We will keep the pressure on the "powers" to pay attention and fix...
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

LifeInParadise wrote:Hi all, Don't fret about this road just be aware to drive slow and use caution where ever you see the barricades (yellow sticks or orange barricades). This is
a dangerous road just be aware. The Bordeaux Road is mostly paved and will work as an alternative. Kings Hill road is not feasible... We will keep the pressure on the "powers" to pay attention and fix...
Who are "the powers". and can we as frequent visitors help? I would hate for a bus load of people to have to go through it to make something happen! :shock:
ccinhbg

Post by ccinhbg »

Same concerns, different year. Will probably take someone getting seriously injured to make the fix happen. Here's an article from 2010

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/news/ ... -1.1076948

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/news/ ... -1.1076948
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Do the safari buses take Centerline?? :shock: That would be scary~
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
Pia

Post by Pia »

We do not have a safari bus on STJ like they do on STT but the school bus, water trucks, regular bus (think large bus like in the States) cement trucks, taxi's and many cars travel the road daily.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Last post on this road problem was on May 23rd. Wondering what the latest
report on the condition is....anyone know ?
" I believe there's Magic here...."
amanda

Post by amanda »

We stayed on the coral bay side all of last week and passed by this spot often. There are signs on either side indicating that it is a one way road. Orange barricades are out and it really didn't seem to be a problem.

Sorry I don't have any updates on WHEN it would get fixed.
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Thanks Amanda...we will be there in 7 days. Glad to hear that it has barricades and signs. We will have a Newbie in our group driving one of the cars and just don't want him to get freaked out ! :)

Sherry in SC
" I believe there's Magic here...."
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

More rain today so that is not good for the road. I
I don't want to be an alarmist at all, but it is not good at all. It seriously stinks that someone will probably have to get severely hurt before it's addressed. Thank goodness school is almost over because that would be a nightmare of nightmares. I went over last Sunday and if people aren't paying attention ( like when I was on the road), people will still try to drive two lanes deposited the signage.
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting