airfare from MSP

Travel discussion for St. John
mnfun2bme

airfare from MSP

Post by mnfun2bme »

Hello all MSP forumites -
If you happen to see great airfare deals in December (14th - 22nd) we're looking for a better deal than what they are now! Yikes, the flight we want Delta wants over 1k for EACH!
We're trying to all be able to fly together on Delta but Delta is looking UGLY!
Lovermont

Re: airfare from MSP

Post by Lovermont »

I'm seeing $727 on Delta and $556 on American for your dates. Try this website for a good overview of the fares- http://matrix.itasoftware.com/. Then book the fares on the airline's website.
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

I love that website. Thanks for the link. It's a very fast engine. :)
Considering flying somewhere south and staying overnight on Friday night so we can catch a quick morning flight out to land sooner. It's hard from MSP to make the early connections at the HUBs. Any ideas on where it's most cost efficient to fly to STT from? We could fly into that city the night before and get the early fight to STT. Thoughts?
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

I am guessing MIA or FLL would be the easiest layover for early arrival into STT. The problem is only Sprit flies directly into FLL from MSP. And MIA is a one-stop on American.

We are looking at late July from MSP to STT and haven't been able to find anything less than $625. Even direct flights from ATL to STT are running over $600. Looks like another summer of using 120K in miles for two tickets. :(
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

MN Bhoy - This is going to take 240k for us to get 4 down there but will likely be worth it.
Hardest thing is that my parents are coming along and I'd hate for them to have to drop the $800 per person but it may need to be that way.

Not in a hurry to book right now. In January I flew American through MIA for 35k miles. Delta wants 60.... yuk on them. Damn Delta out of MSP.
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

mnfun2bme,

I hear you on the miles but it is truly worth it, especially after this year's awful MSP "spring".

I found 100K for two travelers during the week of 7/27 so it looks like we'll be booking that! Fares during the same timeframe are now running at $728 incl taxes. So much for off-peak season!

I wish I could say I can't wait for the end of July, but that would be wishing 1/2 of our summer away and I'm not sure I want that to happen! :)

Good luck with your trip!!
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

MN - you'll appreciate this:
The Delta flights we booked are thru Atlanta
Leave MSP at 5:30am and arrive at 2:35p
Leave STT at 3:39 arrive MSP at 10:16pm

It really doesn't get much better than that out of MSP COST: 360,000 miles for 6 people.
The delta.com price of flight was $1087.68/per person.

Thank goodness for frequent flier miles!
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

MN_Bhoy wrote:mnfun2bme,

I hear you on the miles but it is truly worth it, especially after this year's awful MSP "spring".

I found 100K for two travelers during the week of 7/27 so it looks like we'll be booking that! Fares during the same timeframe are now running at $728 incl taxes. So much for off-peak season!

I wish I could say I can't wait for the end of July, but that would be wishing 1/2 of our summer away and I'm not sure I want that to happen! :)

Good luck with your trip!!
I ihink the airlines have come to realize that summer is not "off season" anymore on St. John.
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

mnfun2bme wrote:

"It really doesn't get much better than that out of MSP COST: 360,000 miles for 6 people.
The delta.com price of flight was $1087.68/per person.

Thank goodness for frequent flier miles!"

Agreed on FF Miles. My wife and I are booked for 7/27 on Delta, MSP-ATL-STT Leave 530am Arrive 1:35pm. All for 100,000 miles and $30. Looks like another long year on the road to pay for my St John summer vacation!! :D
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
stingrat

Post by stingrat »

Only 2 tickets left at this price!

Minneapolis Charlotte Amalie Chicago
MSP 6:00am STT 3:37pm 1 Stop

7h 37m
UNITED 520
UNITED 1561

$626 per person
High in the rockies?
Nanque

Post by Nanque »

Just bought tickets for end of July $609, on Delta. They are usually higher than US Air, when they go down I jump on it.
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

Nanque wrote:Just bought tickets for end of July $609, on Delta. They are usually higher than US Air, when they go down I jump on it.
Nice job Nanque although $609 still seems pretty steep. I just tried DAL again for 7/27 thru 8/3 and the cheapest rate was $743. Monday travel saves a bit ($653) but not much.
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

The flight we want is still $1087.67/ea..... we ended up booking frequent flier miles to get it.

$600's is great!! Good job!
ccinhbg

Post by ccinhbg »

I've been looking everyday for flights out of central pa with decent timing for august hoping they would go down. Over the past few days prices have gone up by over $50/ticket. Gonna hold out a little bit longer to see if they come back down :x
HaveToTravel

Post by HaveToTravel »

I feel your pain! We are also shopping for four tickets out of MSP in mid December and it is painful. There was one time when the flight I wanted was around $500/ticket and I regret not purchasing the tickets then; we were holding out for $480. Now that seems really unlikely and tickets are around $600 each. Same kind of thing where some people in our party might have ff miles but not others, so it takes some juggling to get everyone on the same flight in the budget we'd hoped for.