Converting from STT to STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
Connie

Converting from STT to STJ

Post by Connie »

Some of you may know that we are STT people. I can count at least 9 trips, usually staying at Sapphire, unless we had more people with us, we rented a villa. I really know my way around the Island and have really had a great time.

We also have taken trips over to STJ many times and have STJ addicts. Remember Jorge? Lol

Anyway, we are thinking about changing plans and doing our first stay on STJ. So much confusing information. Villa? Small boutique hotel? Cruz Bay? Coral bay? In between?

We love to snorkel or people watch, hike a little, easy food, no fancy stuff for us.

Just don't know where to star, even though I read this board everyday. Was thinking about the Blue Bitch. Had a friends daughter stay there and they loved it.

Any ideas?
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
mit43

Re: Converting from STT to STJ

Post by mit43 »

Everyone will have there own opinion. For us it would be Gallows Point in Cruz Bay. If one of us doesn't feel like driving to a beach, those who want to snorkel can still do so from their water access. Easy walk into town for food and people watching, etc....
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

A split trip would also put us at Gallows. Easy walk to town, snorkling, easy walk/drive to beaches/hikes.
54b

Post by 54b »

Though I've only spent one actual night in a resort on STT (got in too late to make the ferry), I did have a lot conversations with my sister's husband's parents who basically did exactly what you're thinking about doing after several years staying on STT...they went full blown villa, drank the STJ kool aid and have now switched teams.

So for what it's worth, I think you'd actually have a better STJ experience if you went the complete opposite of what you normally do on STT, went completely out of your comfort zone, and stayed in a villa way high up in the hills with breathtaking views, closer to Coral Bay versus a more seamless conversion approach at a place that's sort of half villa and half resort.

BTW, I have absolutely nothing against Gallows, I think it's terrific, especially for couples...but given your past experiences, I think a place like Gallows or even Blue Bitch (neat, rare villa on the water) will serve more as reminder of what you're missing from the resort experience on STT than it will help introduce you to the unique qualities of STJ.

I also think you'll find that in place like Gallows or Blue Bitch, you'll still spend the majority of day time on STJ away from your lodging anyway. Proximity to Cruz Bay is nice, but the best stuff on STJ is where the construction isn't allowed to go.

That all said, you should do what makes the most sense to you, your group and your budget, but I figure you'd just go back to STT if you didn't have an itch to try something different, so you might as well give it a good scratching.

My two cents.
54b
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
CallmeT

Post by CallmeT »

I have nothing against STT, it was one of our stops while on a cruise many years ago, but I have to say it was not love at first sight as STJ was the first time I went there. My one suggestion would be to explore and I'm sure you will find a new favorite spot.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

You don't actually have to convert, Connie :lol: That's a big decision!
You could just take one awesome trip.
And then convert. :lol:
sherban

Post by sherban »

Connie-
It's just two of you, for a week?

What time of year, what budget?
Connie

Post by Connie »

It's just after all these years being on STT, and reading this forum every single day, that I think we may need a change. It will just be myself and husband, my best friend.

We have found so many things that we love about STT and we have always been comfortable at Sapphire. Just want to branch out and take a chance at something different.

Budget....hmmmmm, I don't thing we have one yet. It's not that we're rich, guess we're middle of the road on budget. I checked Blue Bitch and it looks like it's pretty booked up. I guess we just need a clean place, comfortable and with anykind of view would be great. To Keep the price down, we usually vacation in late May, early June.

Any ideas would be welcomed.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Connie!!! Cant believe you are coming over to the dark side! :twisted: I think you would do well with Gallows Point. Esp if you like to people watch! Hope to finally get to see you one day.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Connie - I suggest going with a villa to get the full enjoyment out of the island. Some of the best parts are sitting on your own private deck at night listening to the frogs and watching the star show. You get plenty of people watching when you go into Cruz Bay or hang out at the various beaches. Check out Kia Ora - it's a 5 minute drive from Cruz Bay and high enough on Rock Ridge Rd to have awesome views - you're treated every night to a gorgeous sunset enjoyed from the deck or from the pool. Not fancy, but recently remodeled and the price is very reasonable. Your friend could have her own bedroom and bathroom and it's actually less expensive than Blue Bitch. If you miss the resort atmosphere you can always pop down to the Westin which is about one minute away and then head back to your own private retreat.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Lol, thank you Lindy....I meant my best friend is my husband. So it's just the 2 of us.
sherban

Post by sherban »

Connie- First of all thanks for all your help with STT questions in the past, you've always been very helpful with questions about STT...

My two cents: Once you have chosen your dates you have to narrow down the choices somehow...there's so many choices that it can be hard to know where to start...you could choose one side of the island or the other, choose by the view (sunrise, sunset, BVI's STT, up high, down low, etc.). If you can choose one or two favorite locales, then you can use the villa map to see what some of the choices are in the areas you want most...http://goo.gl/maps/WSgLn (note that the map has two pages of villas listed).

I let airfare costs/opportunities dictate exact my travel dates....I go with the best airfare deals.

With only two people you'll have tons of choices since you could do anything from a 1BR up...

Personally. I would go with a private villa on top of a mountain with an awesome view, upper carolina, Ajax Peak, Catherineberg, Bordeaux, etc...that's just me.

Or just start with some rental site searches for your dates and check out the amenities...do you require AC, a pool, etc...

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/ca ... ?q=st+usvi
http://www.windspree.com/homes.php
http://stjohnrentavilla.com/index.html#index list
http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/st-john-villas/
http://vacationvistas.com/
http://www.vivacations.com/
Cheers!
Connie

Post by Connie »

Thank you Sherban. I appreciate your help. It's so much fun planning a vacation and right now I'm going check out your links.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

I second the Rock Ridge Rd. area in upper Chocolate Hole! GREAT views, sunsets and yet close to town, but not so close that it's noisy (like STT). Also the Upper Carolina area is great, close to Coral Bay, but easy access to North Shore beaches. I prefer the quiet of a villa to experience the sounds of St. John.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Connie, we did what you are doing. Our travel agent (remember travel agents????) suggested STT. She also said, "If you are going to STT, you must take the ferry over to STJ and see it." We did just that. I wanted to call my office from Cruz Bay and call in quit. We continued that pattern until the year we found this Forum. We thought to stay on STJ we had to be Warren Buffett or Bill Gates. This forum showed us that almost anyone could afford a trip to STJ. We made our first STJ trip in 2008 and haven't gone back to STT except for some shopping and the airport.

I am not a good resource for specific villas, but I do agree that you should pick a more rural villa with an outstanding view. I am certain that once you do this, you will never go back to the dark side of STT.

As for activities, the first thing to know is that "nothing" is a legitimate activity on STJ. Sit on the villa patio and watch the boats, sit in the shade of a great beach and read a book, or sit on a bar stool at the Beach Bar or High Tide and practice 12 ounce curls. You probably know about the books you should review for additional choices. There is no way to do everything you might want to do during a single visit - unless you are Eagle Ray Lover. That just adds to the desire to return for another visit.

One of our former regulars had a word of advice for STJ newcomers. "St John - where drinking before 10 am is not only acceptable - it's kinda wrong if you don't." :wink:

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....